Common searches

Silicon Valley Mountains on FIRE.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Bad air is all cleared up for now. We have had a couple of days with good air quality and the blue sky’s are back.
Makes you appreciate the Pacific Ocean beach weather even more.

Reply 21 of 37, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the photos in the original post has reminded me about QPV, a picture viewer from the 90s, as it came with this example file:

GOLDGATE.JPG
Filename
GOLDGATE.JPG
File size
51.53 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Now, a quarter of century later...

goldgate2020.jpg
Filename
goldgate2020.jpg
File size
250.54 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 25 of 37, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oops, indeed.
Heh, in all that smoke, it's easy to mistake them...

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 26 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the view from Baker beach myself but beware the nudist section on the far right of the beach which is usually empty.
This is my favorite beach to visit in San Francisco. Its a small Beach. The Pacific Ocean breeze is Awsome and there are often
Kite sailing to watch. Its nice just to walk along the beach barefoot in the wet sand with the waves washing up on shore.
Its a pretty clean beach last i visited.

Attachments

Reply 27 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
shamino wrote on 2020-09-18, 23:54:

Our peak fire risk is probably August to September. The weather has cooled recently so maybe that helps a bit but it's still very much fire season until the rain comes back.
I checked some old files I saved on a couple nearby fires, one of those in 2014 started September 13th and as of this date was at about it's "peak scariness". It wasn't reduced to a largely contained, minor concern until the end of the month.

So its end of your summer? interesting. I always assumed it would be middle of summer, means our seasons overlap although for us we don't hit peak till Dec-Feb
learn something new every day!

Reply 29 of 37, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quite a few arsonist about. Apparently some lady spotted a dick on her property with matches, she confronted him, he said he was about to light a fire and she shot him.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 30 of 37, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Having lived in the Bay area for 25 years now and my girlfriend all her life we are convinced that a few things are at play here, mismanagement of forests, mismanagement of PG&E dollars forced by government mandates for electric car charging stations, and arsonists. There aren't many reports of arsonists but it feels like too many incidences to just be the former.

I also read a study from Berkley years ago that said California was always a desert, its only in the last x hundred years that it got more temperate and they says its reverting back to its normal desert biome...though I would bet that's not definitive.

Reply 31 of 37, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 1840s were the coldest decade in the last few centuries and the climate has been intermittently warming since then.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the Mexican-American war. It may just be coincidence. However it is undoubtedly true that California had a cooler climate in the recent past than it does now.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 32 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Errius wrote on 2020-09-29, 07:50:

The 1840s were the coldest decade in the last few centuries and the climate has been intermittently warming since then.

I don't know if this had anything to do with the Mexican-American war. It may just be coincidence. However it is undoubtedly true that California had a cooler climate in the recent past than it does now.

Yes, Before the 1980’s it use to snow in the surrounding SF Bay Area mountains almost every year.
Lots of snow. And it would get very cold in the valley. No snow but ice.

Just recently it has begun to snow again In the mountains. Not allot but some at least.

Reply 33 of 37, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the department of forestry is just going to let these forest burn because the trees are old and diseased and infected with insects.
These forest have not burned in many decades if ever.

Plant all new trees that will not disease easy.

Reply 35 of 37, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-10-05, 19:39:

Gee wiz good thinking - maybe those non-flammable disease-free trees for good measure.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 36 of 37, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
badmojo wrote on 2020-10-06, 08:50:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-10-05, 19:39:

Gee wiz good thinking - maybe those non-flammable disease-free trees for good measure.

Why not plant an artificial Christmas tree farm? Rekon they will be ready to harvest by Christmas next year 😉

More seriously I've watching youtube videos of people going to look at old cars in forests, Cars sitting for 30+ years. It's great for scavenging no so good for hazard reduction.
It's probably not near any built up areas which is why nothing is done, and fair enough, just means when it does burn it's got plenty of fuel

Reply 37 of 37, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you live near a forest you're going to get hit by a forest fire sooner or later. It's inevitable. It's like people who live on a floodplain. The big flood that inundates your house may happen in 50 years or it may happen next year but it WILL happen. All you can do is be prepared.

Is this too much voodoo?