l33t++

https://www.gamepressure.com/newsroom/waste-a … -recycli/z025d5
This nicely explains apple prices.

Reply 5 of 19, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ve always thought useable product should be illegal to “recycle “ unless it’s EOL (which is A concept questionable in of itself)

Recycling definitely makes pollution, the only way around that is Reuse

Of the three Rs recycling is the least important yet here we are, dumpster diving is a crime and Apple is suing a company for being environmentally friendly and selling to the poorer end of the spectrum.

Reply 6 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Apple is building a NAME Brand. They where the most reputable name brand in the world a while back.
Apple does not like unauthorized people tampering with there devices because they want complete quality control over there products.
I understand that once you purchase an Apple product you should be able to repair it but Apple does not sell components so people can repair there own Apple computers.

Kind of like buying an Appliance that you can never repair. So you just have to recycle it and buy a new one.
NOT good for the environment but that is currently the way it is.

The way I see it Apple is more concerned with Security of there devices and OS.
It’s like a credit card that they just want people to destroy once you are done with it.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The problem is Geep told Apple they had recycled the devices and would have been paid for this service.
Probably something along the lines of sending Apple the serial numbers of the devices and getting some from of cashback.

Only for the company (or a few employees) to then turn around and then sell the device in effect doubling the money.
That's why Apple is upset, they paid for a service that was not provided and that's fair.

If Geep had simply sold the devices rather then telling Apple "hey we recycled these can we get paid" then it wouldn't have been a problem.

Of course Apple is financing this recycling program to limit the 2nd hand market, but hey it's their money. Customer happily took the discount on trade in, Geep happily took the money for recycling, technically the device is now Apples to do with as it wants.

Reply 9 of 19, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:10:

technically the device is now Apples to do with as it wants.

As soon as it leaves Apples hands it is no longer their device.

If they insist on destroying operable product they personally should have to destroy it.

It’s this attitude that has foreign children “recycling “ electronics over a burn pit.

Do it yourself or not at all and be honest when something is unworkable instead of lying about it and becoming butthurt that other guy didn’t do what you yourself were unwilling to deal with due to costs or difficulties in compliance.

Reply 11 of 19, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

People do so much shopping and purchasing on the Apple devices that Apple must not want people tempering with the
Security features of the Apple devices.

So Apple does not like un-authorized people trying to repair there computers.

Its like the card readers for your Bank card at a local store.
Like an ATM machine.
These iPhones also have Applepay service.

Apple must want there devices to be very secure and tamper proof.

Reply 12 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:49:
accept apple re purchased it once the company took Apples money to recycle it on Apples behalf. […]
Show full quote
chinny22 wrote on 2020-10-06, 16:10:

technically the device is now Apples to do with as it wants.

As soon as it leaves Apples hands it is no longer their device.

accept apple re purchased it once the company took Apples money to recycle it on Apples behalf.

If they insist on destroying operable product they personally should have to destroy it.

Why? Apple dont even make the chips that go INTO their devices. Outsouricing is big business.

It’s this attitude that has foreign children “recycling “ electronics over a burn pit.

Agree somewhat, Planned obsolence and the right to repair are definitly big problems, Apple is a bad company for both these topics but neither is iligal, yet.
Rich countires taking advantage of poorer countries is nothing new though.

Do it yourself or not at all and be honest when something is unworkable instead of lying about it and becoming butthurt that other guy didn’t do what you yourself were unwilling to deal with due to costs or difficulties in compliance.

So you persoanlly recycle all your household waste, treat your own sewage, generate your own electricity or do you pay others for this service? f not you better not ge Butthurt if one of these services stopped even if you paid bill, It's the same concept on a compy level.

I know it sounds like I'm defending Apple, I'm as surprised as anyone! I don't like the company and how they operate but this oversimplistic one sided Apple is bad it's all their fault helps no one and will drown out the genuine complaints about the company.

Louis Rossmann is a good champion aganst Apple's dodgy business practices but he also looks at the side of Apple and accepts they are a company that needs to make moeny end of the day

accept

Reply 13 of 19, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:31:
People do so much shopping and purchasing on the Apple devices that Apple must not want people tempering with the Security featu […]
Show full quote

People do so much shopping and purchasing on the Apple devices that Apple must not want people tempering with the

Like an ATM machine.

You are repeating yourself.

Got anything original to post?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-10-06, 19:00:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:31:
People do so much shopping and purchasing on the Apple devices that Apple must not want people tempering with the Security featu […]
Show full quote

Like an ATM machine.

You are repeating yourself.

Got anything original to post?

Please keep it civil, no need to flame bait here.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 15 of 19, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-10-06, 17:19:

HP use to do the same thing. They would send there old corporate computers to the recycler not a reseller.

"old used" is not the same as "new never used"...

Reply 16 of 19, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I find it surprising that people only now find out that this is a big issue since forever... That E.T. game landfill story comes to mind...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 18 of 19, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-10-06, 08:57:

I’ve always thought useable product should be illegal to “recycle “ unless it’s EOL (which is A concept questionable in of itself)

Recycling definitely makes pollution, the only way around that is Reuse

Of the three Rs recycling is the least important yet here we are, dumpster diving is a crime and Apple is suing a company for being environmentally friendly and selling to the poorer end of the spectrum.

In some ways, this is ironic, because in the 1950s, people did repair their stuff on their own or let it be repaired by others that were more skilled. And now, in our high tech days, where information en mass is accessible easily, we -as a society in general- lost the ability to do repairs. Even the simple ones. (Edit: Such as fixing clothes; sewing with a needle and a twine to fix a hole; applying patches etc.)

This reminds me of my father's Yaesu FT-101 radio from the 1970s.
It's a metal tank essentially, but very well built and modular.
Each component is designed as a modular unit that sits it a slot - like the ISA bus.

And it's far from being primitive. It has an IF out, triple super-het design and uses both low-noise field-effect transistors and powerful valves for transmit.
Someone should think that radio amateurs are proud of this or at least value these archivements..

Well, no. Most hams I know of are quite retarded in this aspect. Including students and ex-engineers. They love their tiny FT-817s; little blackboxes made of cheap plastic with the esthetics of a molten rubber ducky. *sigh* 🙁
Why do I tell this - The 101 is a near perfect example for a device that could be repaired easily and could last for generations.
It has an open design, is user-friendly and dependable.

With the focus on *could*. In reality, many of these radios do rust away in garden shacks in favour of cheap little plastic bombers, that are not even superior.
In fact they are rather the contrary. They do have lots of extras, but neither of these do work well. They work "best" in FM on VHF/UHF, which is no archivement really. Any chinese dual-band handy does that. Even with higher power.

I'm not overacting, I think. My father and me used quite a few of these 817s over the years, with the same results. Unfortunately, none of our fellow hams do care. They still glorify that piece of sh.. plastic over and over.
And worse, recommended it to beginners ( who like to do shortwave).
Even though they do quickly stop using that little radio themselves.

And whenever when we give them the good advice of using or fixing a venerable boat anchor radio, they nod their noses and keep fiddling with the cheap, but tiny modern radios.
In such situations, my father and me then often demonstrate the old gear in action.
Not seldomly, in conjunction with very modern use cases. Like decoding very demanding digital transmissions (they need a high frequency stability), such as Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM).

Okay, enough moaning. Long story short, my message is:
It's not the technology, but the human mindset. Making things logical, open, modular still works with high-tec.
It's just that to some people the concept of "repairing" has become bizarre.

Add to this bureaucracy, lawyers and insurance companies and you realize why things have become so unreal.
Common sense and individual responsibility don't go well with the previous group.
People love to be able to blame others and "get their money" back.

Edit : Pictures added.

Attachments

Last edited by Jo22 on 2020-10-08, 00:06. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 19 of 19, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2020-10-07, 05:18:
Okay, enough moaning. Long story short, my message is: It's not the technology, but the human mindset. Making things logical, o […]
Show full quote

Okay, enough moaning. Long story short, my message is:
It's not the technology, but the human mindset. Making things logical, open, modular still works with high-tec.
It's just that to some people the concept of "repairing" has become bizarre.

Add to this bureaucracy, lawyers and insurance companies and you realize why things have become so unreal.
Common sense and individual responsibility don't go well with the previous group.
People love to be able to blame others and "get their money" back.

Yep Consumerism seems to have reached a new level in the last decade or so.
You have cheap products that you know wont last as long as the high quality altenitive, but costs 3 times as much so I´ll just buy the cheap one and replace more often
You have people who think new is better. Example my wife insists on buying everything new for our 2nd son, even though our existing prams, car seats, etc from out first son are fine.
You have labour cost. Example failed HDD in a laptop. Its an easy enough fix parts are cheap. but once you add my hourly rate to fit the new drive reinstall windows and software then configre to the companys setup your getting close to the cost of a new laptop that still has no warranty. I dont balme companies choising this rather then repair even though it feels like a waste persoannly.

You do have places like charity shops and freecycle that are trying to stop this trend, sadly though the masses like their new shiny things so you can´t even give the stuff away.
I myself am guilty. second dinner set goes for the same price in charty shop as a brand new set from online stores so of course I got the new set