VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 28, by shock__

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ugh ... does this really need to be discussed?

I recently logged into a forum again which I hadn't used for 13 years and checked my older posts. Every thread that hasn't had replies in 2 years has this reminder: "NOTE: This thread has been dormant for over two years. The members who originally participated in it may no longer be active, and everyone else has probably forgotten about it. Please be aware that any information here may be out of date. ". I found that charming and realistic.

Otherwise yeah, if you can legitimately add to an abandoned thread - sure, why not. If it's some postcount++ nonsense, better keep that thought to yourself.

Current Project: new GUS PnP compatible soundcard

[Z?]

Reply 21 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that could be a good idea maybe... I was browsing some news yesterday and clicked through related articles and on one there was a small yellow box at the top "this article is 7 months old and some information may no longer be relevant today" or something like that.

like don't ever autolock old threads, but a little reminder might be helpful.

Reply 22 of 28, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shock__ wrote on 2020-10-08, 08:30:

Every thread that hasn't had replies in 2 years has this reminder: "NOTE: This thread has been dormant for over two years..."

Yeah, I too know some forums which are like that. I like it.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 28, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any updates, new relevant information, new breakthrough or solutions to unsolved problems, or alternate solutions are always welcome to be added, at a later date.

Anything that help grow and consolidate knowledge is always encouraged.

Sometimes, I get annoyed in other forums, where, after a few years of some problem, a newcomer comes in to share the working solution, but a moderator closes the thread just because it's old, and "no necrobumping" policy of that forum, irrespective of the solution, which otherwise would have helped countless others.

And about the abandonware....c'mon... it's been discussed to exhaustion... take it elsewhere. We all know about it and can deal with it, in other places. Every forum has rules. To be part of it, simply follow it.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 24 of 28, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote on 2020-10-09, 16:00:

Any updates, new relevant information, new breakthrough or solutions to unsolved problems, or alternate solutions are always welcome to be added, at a later date.

Anything that help grow and consolidate knowledge is always encouraged.

Seconded.

Malik wrote on 2020-10-09, 16:00:

Sometimes, I get annoyed in other forums, where, after a few years of some problem, a newcomer comes in to share the working solution, but a moderator closes the thread just because it's old, and "no necrobumping" policy of that forum, irrespective of the solution, which otherwise would have helped countless others.

I couldn't have said it better. 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 25 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-07, 23:53:

Still, I have posts on VOGONS that I made over 18 years ago. Even if the conversation you have to add is related and relevant, isn't there some deadline under which I shouldn't have to see my words from 23-yr-old me be thrown up in my face, my notifications, flagged or emailed about? I probably don't know half of the ones that will do that, to be honest.

I envy you. 🙂 I feel also uncomfortable when I have to read my old statements from the past. Albeit for another reason. Whenever I read my early postings and e-mails, I can't help but feel that my younger self from 15+ years ago was more mature, polite and had a better character overall compared to what I had become over the years..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 26 of 28, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before forums there was Usenet. I got a laugh when someone on this forum linked to one of my ancient Usenet posts.

Also kind of awkward, since back then I used my real name and email address for posting.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 27 of 28, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote on 2020-10-10, 19:05:

Before forums there was Usenet. I got a laugh when someone on this forum linked to one of my ancient Usenet posts.

The Google Groups USENET archive provides a VOGONS-like forum/messageboard interface to USENET.

Which means there's young nerds out there on Google Groups who are quoting messages from 1991 and see nothing wrong with it. Good thing there's no notifications. 😜

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 28 of 28, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IMO there are sometimes valid reasons to necro a thread. When the new post is 100% on topic, and especially when it resolves a long unanswered question, it can be a very helpful practice. Problem is, most of the time the new post is tangentially related at best.