VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maniac Mansion was hard. Trying to keep the mansion from blowing up was frustrating.

I've heard that Zak McKracken is pretty hard. It's not terribly hard if you use a walkthrough but if you forgot to do something VERY important then you are screwed 🙁

Reply 3 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I guess I would probably have to go with Teen Agent? It's not really that hard – but it is a little inscrutable at times, and there are some very stupid pixel hunts.

It's nothing compared to, say, the first Discworld game. Or Les Manley: Search for the King.
https://www.pcgamer.com/crap-shoot-les-manley … h-for-the-king/

hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-13, 06:17:

It's not terribly hard if you use a walkthrough but if you forgot to do something VERY important then you are screwed 🙁

Not sure what you're referring to.

I guess maybe:

Drawing a map using the yellow crayon? If you pay the phone bill, you can still use a scrap of wallpaper from Zak's apartment.

Reply 4 of 40, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For me its actually The Curse of Monkey Island (Monkey 3). Not for the reasons you'd might actually think.

In the last part of the game with the showdown with Le Chuck you're on a rollercoaster and you only have a limited amount of time to explore before LeChuck shows up. The problem was that I was playing this on my dads laptop with an insanely slow harddrive and CD-ROM. I was almost completely stuck in the animation loop loading from the CD and it left me almost no time untill it started again with LeChuck incoming. It was extremely frustating.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 40, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember Quest for Glory II being exceptionally difficult casually (compared to other QFGs). I've never replayed it to the end since. Walkthroughs? Pfft.

Space Quest IV is pretty hard on a 486+ too.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 40, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You people and your graphical games problems.

Try the Zork text based games... Stupid grue and thief!!!!

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 10 of 40, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-10-13, 15:23:
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-13, 06:17:

It's not terribly hard if you use a walkthrough but if you forgot to do something VERY important then you are screwed 🙁

Not sure what you're referring to.

I guess maybe:

Drawing a map using the yellow crayon? If you pay the phone bill, you can still use a scrap of wallpaper from Zak's apartment.

In my last play, I forgot to get a document (the form for the Elvis society) and fill it out with the yellow crayon and put in the mailbox. Basically, you have to do this or you're stuck in a dead end and have to load your last save.
The manual claims this:

the manual.PNG
Filename
the manual.PNG
File size
42.19 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I tried using that tip when I was stuck (because of the form) but it didn't work.

Reply 11 of 40, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Full disclosure; I first started playing adventure games in 2010. But from the limited number of classics I played, the hardest for me was Dragonsphere. There are some really hard puzzles there and few of them are "controversial" to say the least, and it broke my spirit so much I haven't played an adventure game for over a year after finishing it.

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 12 of 40, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always thought Sam & Max was hard.

A few years ago I made the decision to never use a walkthrough ever again, so I'm currently 'stuck' in about 6 different games 😉

Reply 13 of 40, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2020-10-14, 06:02:

I always thought Sam & Max was hard.

A few years ago I made the decision to never use a walkthrough ever again, so I'm currently 'stuck' in about 6 different games 😉

I think you should use hints 😀

Reply 14 of 40, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably the original Discworld for me. Love that game for how much effort the devs put into it and it clearly shows they were huge Pratchett fans, but I found the game to be ridiculously hard.
Schizm 1 is also one of the toughest adventure games I've played. Riven is also quite hard, but once you grasp what is going on, it actually all clicks.

I'm not against using a walkthrough whatsoever, although hints are preferable as they allow you to get a different perspective or a small nudge as to what you're supposed to do, giving you the chance to figure it out yourself.

Reply 15 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Leisure suit Larry? Hey I was a teen and this was pre internet 😉
Bus was never really into Adventure games myself.

We got Return to Zork with the PC which mum quite enjoyed, and spent a fair bit of money on the hint line, She kind of got in trouble for that 🤣.
She's played a few of the later Zork's and Myst, but we had internet and walk thought by then so no phonebill to wok out how hard it was

Reply 17 of 40, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-10-14, 03:34:

In my last play, I forgot to get a document (the form for the Elvis society) and fill it out with the yellow crayon and put in the mailbox. Basically, you have to do this or you're stuck in a dead end and have to load your last save.

You can also buy the guitar in the pawn shop and give that to Elvis instead. (Of course, you can't do that if you're out of money, and as I recall, you need to talk to Elvis before you can win the lottery, but that's a different matter.)

McKraken has such an impressive design; I've always thought it would be great if it had a proper remake that maybe got rid of the obnoxious mazes and replaced them with goold ol' top-down RPG dungeons.

Reply 18 of 40, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's been over 30 years, and I still can't get through the submarine battle in Code Name: ICEMAN.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 19 of 40, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Amstrad PCW 8256 and 8512 came with a text adventure game on one of the standard disks. I never managed to get much further than the introduction that explained the commands because looking at the various objects never revealed anything on how to move further.