Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 580 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a PR166 and I love that CPU. I wish I had a PR133 though 🙁 If anyone has an extra and would want to trade it for something, knock on my door sometime 😀

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 581 of 749, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My dream build I never had but always lusted after was a laptop with a 6x86 in it, after that scene in Hackers. And then the disappointment upon discovering there was never such a CPU in any laptop, period.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 583 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-09-09, 21:44:

My dream build I never had but always lusted after was a laptop with a 6x86 in it, after that scene in Hackers. And then the disappointment upon discovering there was never such a CPU in any laptop, period.

"In the scene when Acid is showing-off her laptop, they speak of the laptop having a processor called a P6 and a PCI bus. Further examination of this scene and another scene with them looking over the damaged code, the laptop that Acid-burn has is clearly a Macintosh Powerbook 280C (sub-notebook) made by Apple Computer Inc. This model does not have a PCI-bus, or a P6. It does have a Motorola 68030 33mhz CPU." heheh

Reply 584 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Hey propmaster, get these kids a $15,000 pentium pro notebook to throw around"
"Hell no, howabout a cheapass apple?"
"Nnnn-hokay. Cover. up. the. fruit."

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 586 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Watching it now is a bit of a cringe fest, but I appreciate how Shaggy played Shaggy all the way through.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 587 of 749, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I once set out to the curb multiple Sound Blaster AWE32 cards as well as some Pentium 1 gear. This was years before I got into retro computing.

Now I'm pretty much the opposite and have waaaayyy too much retro gear.

I did set 3 older OEM systems (not complete) to the curb last week... Pentium D, Core2, and AMD A8 something or other. Just didn't have any need for them and shipping would have cost too much to try to sell or even give them away. In fact, I did try to give two of those 3 away here and nobody bit.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 588 of 749, by DJMadMax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HanJammer wrote on 2021-09-08, 13:28:
DJMadMax wrote on 2021-09-08, 12:10:

In my first computer which I actually bought with my own money I chose to have an AMD K5PR-166 and at the time I thought it was fast.

Because it was. Plus it was cool not being an intel. Plus now it's even cooler being first and last CPU developed entirely by AMD. I bought K5 PR133 and never looked back or regreted I didn't bought Pentium 133.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-08, 14:16:

That's not a huge mistake, since they were probably priced at about the going rate for a P100, which at 116Mhz they just about matched in FPU, but had integer performance more like a P150. So for the money they were fast. (...) We do a lot of comparing per clock performance now, but it was per dollar performance that AMD and Cyrix were kings of for over a decade.

Maybe that was my problem back then. As a teenager you dont really look for the "biggest bang for the buck", you just want big horsepower numbers, no matter what ^^

Okay, now a real confession:
I'm an incredibly massive fan of DooM II but every time I start a playthrough of the first DooM, I end up quitting after finishing Episode 1. I just dont like most of the original DooM levels.

Reply 589 of 749, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never played all the way through any of the DOOM games except for DOOM 3.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 590 of 749, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-09-09, 07:56:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-09-09, 03:13:

Way back in 2000, I built a PC for the very first time. It had a 600MHz PIII, GeForce 256, and ran the hot new Windows 2000. It made me very happy.

The thing is, I unwittingly ran it at 400MHz for a few months! But even at the reduced speed, that P-frickin-III with its 128MB of RAM and broadband internet connection absolutely blew the doors off my old Pentium laptop, so I just assumed that everything was fine and dandy. It wasn't until I bought a fancy new LCD monitor that switched on fast enough to display the POST info (unlike my old CRT) that I finally realized: mistakes were made. Should've read the motherboard manual!

that's funny and shows the huge performance jumps we had at the time, such that even with that cpu set low it was still a huge jump

for nostalgia's sake i hope you still have that pc, or some components from it, the cpu anyway! 😀

I gave that machine to a friend's kid back in 2006 or so. However, I threw in something like a 1.2GHz Celeron to give her a bit of a speed boost, so I do have the original 600MHz CPU kickin' around somewhere.

BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-10, 01:25:

Watching it now is a bit of a cringe fest, but I appreciate how Shaggy played Shaggy all the way through.

May be a cringe fest, but man does that movie have a killer soundtrack!

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 591 of 749, by DJMadMax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-09-10, 23:16:

Prodigy, Leftfield and besides others the god of vinyl himself: Carl Cox!

Is it a confession to tell that I do actually have a turntable which I regularly use?

Reply 592 of 749, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

about 8 years ago i moved to the place im right now so it was time to throw many useless things. Among that things was a complete Macintosh Performa 5260/120 with 64mb of ram

Nice construction quality and in perfect shape but i didnt had any use for it and dont have any love for Apple product.

Reply 593 of 749, by DJMadMax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Living wrote on 2021-09-11, 01:34:

Nice construction quality and in perfect shape but i didnt had any use for it and dont have any love for Apple product.

Sounds more like a relief than a confession to me 😁
Just kidding ^^ Even Macs dont deserve to go to the dumpster.

Reply 594 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know, not sure if I have a substitute soundtrack on the version I know I've got, "timeshifted" PVR recording off broadcast TV. (Between TV and theater showings and original premieres and DVD releases there's all sorts of crap goes down with the music rights for the more popular tracks) I thought I might have a VHS copy in storage too, but will have to carve out a niche for an altar of VHS worship sometime to get all those out they've got banned from the living room. (Or slyly rotate out from the one shelf allowed)

Reply 595 of 749, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, now this is a big one...

I allowed two Model M keyboards go to the crusher one year ago, because I didn't looked closely enough at the picture my man at the recycler sent me (an he sends very poor quality pictures) - I've just seen two dirty keyboards with 2 buttons missing in one and I said I'm not interested. I discovered it today when I got back to text conversation with him ;D

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 596 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DJMadMax wrote on 2021-09-11, 00:26:
Standard Def Steve wrote on 2021-09-10, 23:16:

Prodigy, Leftfield and besides others the god of vinyl himself: Carl Cox!

Is it a confession to tell that I do actually have a turntable which I regularly use?

Great soundtrack(s) for sure. the BT radio in my car died last year so I went back to CDs for a while. I burnt up a CD with the 3 Hackers soundtracks and the Matrix, played them all to death. I love the Halcyon track and the Leftfield one with the guy from sex pistols. I do admit there's a lot of filler but the hits are solid.

I think I watched Hackers about 20 times in the last 2 years. It was my late Friday night/Saturday morning ritual to watch it while working on whatever PC I was working on at the time. I know it's corny but that's the appeal. Trying so hard to make computers cool - the exclusive "elite" group of tech heads, the fashion, the NYC teenager lifestyle (lol that hangout spot), the oh-so-hollywood attempt at portraying a cyberspace. oh and the bad guy rides a skateboard lmao

I watched Johnny Mnemonic last night and it falls flat compared to Hackers, athough Dolph Lundgren's performance was absolutely hillarious. The cyberspace in Johnny Mnemonic was... interesting.

Next on my list is Lawnmower man or Virtuosity, I remember both of those movies having some sort of VR/cyberspace going on.

Reply 597 of 749, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In 2011 I curbed a fully functional HP A7217A, which for the uninitiated, is the HP rebadge of the Sony GDM-FW900, the 'famous' widescreen 24" Trinitron monitor.

I had paid $50 for it in 2010.

...I curbed it after replacing it with a 23" Asus TFT monitor...

To be fair, at that moment, I had no space for it in my life, I was moving, the LCD TFT took less desk space and made less heat. But damn, that'd be worth like $1500 or more today? Not that I'd sell it.

Reply 598 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably within a year or so of you doing that, I curbed a Flat, widescreen, high def 40" CRT TV, don't remember the model, tube could well have been a Sony, thing was massive, like a washing machine on it's side. I had paid $10 for it a year or two before, but discovering that getting things that plugged into it's 5 BNC analog vid that were actually HD signal was a PITA, and due to HDCP probably weren't gonna find a bluray that worked with it, so it got shoved, dragged, and wiggled out of the door.

Reply 599 of 749, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got another one!

I am probably the world's biggest Dell fanboy. No, Dell didn't start the IBM clone business. They didn't out-junior the PCjr with their own custom sound and graphics modes. Hell, they didn't even have the balls to affix "Never Obsolete" stickers to any of their cheapo Celeron boxes. Still, I love them. Every Dell I've owned--and there have been plenty over the years--has never given me any trouble. They're just fantastically quiet, robust workhorses.

You know, if I were fortunate enough to stumble upon a $10 Amiga 4000 and a $10 Dell 386 at a garage sale, yet unfortunate enough to find but a single tenner in my wallet, I'd pick the Dell. No lie!

We should totally dedicate the month of February to our favourite Dells! Call it FebruDellry or something! TechTubers, are you listening? 😜

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!