Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 640 of 749, by Living

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2021-12-27, 02:44:

I confess that I never get a floppy drive's cable plugged in correctly the first time, ever.

you monster!

Reply 642 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-12-30, 02:43:

It's almost as though they invented something precisely as annoying as USB-A ...before USB even existed! 😳

You think that's annoying? Try not mixing up the mouse and keyboard PS/2 ports, if they are not color-coded.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 646 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2021-12-30, 14:34:
badmojo wrote on 2021-12-27, 02:44:

I confess that I never get a floppy drive's cable plugged in correctly the first time, ever.

I used to have the same problem, but I just recently figured out (magically... in my head) the "red" wire is pin 1... for 20-odd years I never noticed.

Don't rely over much on the "red stripe towards the power connector" thing though, it's 95% correct, but that 5% will bite you in the ass, particularly with floppies and more ancient HDDs.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 649 of 749, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Meatball wrote on 2021-12-30, 14:42:

When I used to work at Best Buy when I was 20 as one of my three jobs, I convinced one of my coworkers I knew what a 486/DX was, when I barely knew what a 486/DX was or how to spell 486/DX.

As a sometime customer, that wouldn't work on me at Best Buy, seems to me the staff can't even read the shelf labels, like Me:"How much RAM has this one got?" BB:"250GB SSD" ... so these days I'm in Best Buy like... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEhHEOIYgMY

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 653 of 749, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2021-12-30, 14:52:

Turok: Dinosaur hunter is my favorite game of all time... there I said it.

You like fog huh? Perhaps you have scottish inheritance. 😉

Reply 655 of 749, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

in the mid 90's playing shareware games i came across cat splat it was a cat shooting game instead of shooting clay, cats would fly in the air and if you shoot it you score and it splatters i confess i loved it probably that most shareware was crap 🤣

Last edited by zapbuzz on 2021-12-30, 17:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 656 of 749, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I remember it looked amazing in 1996 or what ever, but I only played the demo. I bet there is s no fog patch but I'm not even going to attempt to Google it. 😀

Reply 659 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think the Atari ST soundchip was a failure. Even at the time. What an absolute shame.
Every tune I've ever heard coming out of it has made me regret having ears. Well, except some demoscene stuff.