Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 240 of 749, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My confession is pretty sad... in the last few years I've managed to get almost everything from my long wish list... only to sit on the shelf or some box in the storage. I can't seem to find the time to play around much 🙁 Some stuff is even untested by me... and eBay/PayPal protection long gone 🤣 It would seem I have too many open projects going on and then don't find the time for any 🤣 My retro/gaming room is a mess, tons of stuff everywhere, I can't find what I need when I need it... and I said to myself that this room will be nice and organized 😁 I guess I will take some time off to make some improvements in my organization/inventory.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 241 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2021-01-02, 20:37:

My confession is pretty sad... in the last few years I've managed to get almost everything from my long wish list... only to sit on the shelf or some box in the storage. I can't seem to find the time to play around much 🙁 Some stuff is even untested by me... and eBay/PayPal protection long gone 🤣 It would seem I have too many open projects going on and then don't find the time for any 🤣 My retro/gaming room is a mess, tons of stuff everywhere, I can't find what I need when I need it... and I said to myself that this room will be nice and organized 😁 I guess I will take some time off to make some improvements in my organization/inventory.

I guess this is what happens when you buy too much stuff too fast.. 😜 I try to limit myself. Currently my physical copy collection will easily fit on two shelves (it now fits on one but needs some more space to not feel cramped, so that you actually can see the things; plus, I've got some more stuff coming in, hopefully later this year...)

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 242 of 749, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

... only to sit on the shelf or some box in the storage. I can't seem to find the time to play around much

I seem to go through a collect->purge cycle for this reason - I don't like having cool stuff hanging around that I don't use and that someone else could be enjoying, but then I have been know to really regret getting rid of things in a year or 2. I'm currently talking myself into selling a few PCs... or am I??

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 243 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2021-01-02, 20:58:

... only to sit on the shelf or some box in the storage. I can't seem to find the time to play around much

I seem to go through a collect->purge cycle for this reason - I don't like having cool stuff hanging around that I don't use and that someone else could be enjoying, but then I have been know to really regret getting rid of things in a year or 2. I'm currently talking myself into selling a few PCs... or am I??

Gettingg rid of stuff is always is a difficult decision for me, and sometimes I have been uncertain about decisions. For the most part I have learned to accept my choices. I like buying stuff but I also don't want to spend to much money on unncessary things and have stuff I hardly use eveywhere.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 244 of 749, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

English is not my first language.
As a kid, I pronounced the game Descent, as 'decent'.
Well, I wasn't wrong entirely...

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 245 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 - english isn't my first language either.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 246 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Same here.

Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan and English.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 248 of 749, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m pretty sure I once fried a pentium over drive with the wrong voltage settings 🙁

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 250 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. The MacVenture series (ICOM) has really good UIs (they're better than the early LucasArts point and click adventure games)
2. Day of the Tentacle and Sam & Max Hit the Road are overrated and both are mediocre at best
3. Super Tetris has a good soundtrack
4. "King of the Creatures" (from Sam & Max Hit the Road) is the best villain song ever
5. I don't like opening and closing doors in adventure games (it feels unnecessary)

Reply 251 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
hyperrmachine wrote on 2021-01-17, 03:35:

Pg 3 is my fav:

106679-zak-mckracken-and-the-alien-mindbenders-other.jpg

That's some good art there (the girl's pretty cute)
Also the articles are pretty funny. It's pretty good satire 😀
(The "zip-open tummy diet" though...)

Last edited by domomex89 on 2021-01-17, 09:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 252 of 749, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyperrmachine wrote on 2021-01-17, 08:19:

Tetris Classic is the best version of Tetris on MS-DOS!

Unless you're playing with friends. In that case, Eittris FTW.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 253 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zup wrote on 2021-01-17, 09:15:
hyperrmachine wrote on 2021-01-17, 08:19:

Tetris Classic is the best version of Tetris on MS-DOS!

Unless you're playing with friends. In that case, Eittris FTW.

This game?

549485-varmint-s-eittris-dos-screenshot-special-blocks-do-not-stay.jpg

I personally agree with @hyperrmachine though.
I think that Tetris Classic is the best Tetris game that Spectrum Holobyte has released. It's much easier to play than Welltris and much more fun to play than Super Tetris and Faces-tris 3.

Reply 254 of 749, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm about to throw away the original box of a small IBM CRT monitor... it's only a monochrome POS monitor so not that special, but it was nicely boxed, while cleaning up today I noticed mold on the box though, it arrived in pretty rough shape already so I guess this was always there and I haven't really noticed, idk if I should try saving the box somehow but removing mold from cardboard is kinda... difficult.

Reply 255 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-01-18, 01:07:

I'm about to throw away the original box of a small IBM CRT monitor... it's only a monochrome POS monitor so not that special, but it was nicely boxed, while cleaning up today I noticed mold on the box though, it arrived in pretty rough shape already so I guess this was always there and I haven't really noticed, idk if I should try saving the box somehow but removing mold from cardboard is kinda... difficult.

sounds like the beginning to some kind of cult favourite alien fungi horror movie to me!

Reply 256 of 749, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Confession: I build on carpets.

I don't lay bare components on carpet. But I do build retro rigs often on carpet and use boxes/anti static bags, motherboard trays, etc to hold my parts.

Anyone else guilty of that? Cringe ahoy!

Reply 257 of 749, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In our language we butchered Descent even more, Des-kent 😁

I also have so mutch stuff, like 10 computers from 486 to P3 and loose stuff for another 15 computers. I think i have a problem, and have to sell some of my computers. Maybe purge all my 486, because they are worth some real money, and everything can be run on faster computers. I really do not know, but the 486 motherboards will live forever, if not in use. Tantalum will not dry, only on usage.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 259 of 749, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-01-19, 18:51:
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-01-19, 06:25:

but the 486 motherboards will live forever, if not in use.

Varta disagrees with you.

Old Varta battery : "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of motherboards”

EDIT: I wish I had come up with that, see Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?