Reply 260 of 749, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-01-19, 19:10:
imi wrote on 2021-01-19, 18:51:
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-01-19, 06:25:

but the 486 motherboards will live forever, if not in use.

Varta disagrees with you.

Old Varta battery : "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of motherboards”

EDIT: I wish I had come up with that, see Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Changed all to lithium cells, and some of my motherboard already have originally lihtium cells.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 261 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-01-19, 19:10:
imi wrote on 2021-01-19, 18:51:
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-01-19, 06:25:

but the 486 motherboards will live forever, if not in use.

Varta disagrees with you.

Old Varta battery : "Now I am become Death, the destroyer of motherboards”

EDIT: I wish I had come up with that, see Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Hmmm, perhaps sligthly off topic, I have some early 90's Lego battery boxes and a control center (also Lego) lying around with damage from old batteries. Those still need to be sorted out.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 262 of 749, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
domomex89 wrote on 2021-01-18, 00:38:

This game?

I personally agree with @hyperrmachine though.
I think that Tetris Classic is the best Tetris game that Spectrum Holobyte has released. It's much easier to play than Welltris and much more fun to play than Super Tetris and Faces-tris 3.

I think that's the best tetris to play with friends (and destroy friendships), although I must say that it may be very colourful. If you're playing alone... I don't remember what Tetris I played on PC, but my favourite is Atari Tetris (arcade).

First multiplayer Tetris were a "fair" competition, where making lines faster than your opponent was the goal. Gameboy Tetris had a feature that sent "lines" to your opponent when you cleared more than 1 line at the same time.

Varmint Eittris is warfare tetris. It can be played by (up to) four players, but I must confess that playing three on a keyboard feels uncomfortable (I did). When playing, you have a key to choose a "target" to send your cleared lines... but you can get also some "gifts" that you can send to your "target". Some of that gifts would be reversing your opponent controls or making that every piece they get is an S or Z piece. Also, if you're quick enough you can "stack" bonuses on your targets.

There are DOS and Windows versions. I remember that you could use your MIDI or MOD files to get your own soundtrack when playing, but that's purely eyecandy.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 263 of 749, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably not retro enough. But my mrs plays (the short, catchily named) "Tetris - The Absolute - The Grand Master 2 Plus" pretty much exclusively since everything else seems too, I don't know, simplistic and childish, by comparison. An unfair judgement, I know. But there is something extra about the professionalism of it, it seems.

Reply 264 of 749, by winuser_pl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I was a teenager (around early 2000s) I had Compaq Presario CDS-520 equipped with an AMD 486 SX-2 66 MHz. The computer was struggling to play MP3 files at the lowest possibly quality because of the fact that CPU hadn't been equipped with FPU unit.
The operating system was Windows 95. It had it's problems, but it worked. Many of the problems came because of the "DOS" based OS (although the PC was not fast enough to handle NT). Then I had another computer with Pentium 166 MMX paired with Windows 98 SE. This time the computer had much more power, but still, crappy Windows "dos based". It crashed every hour, that was a nightmare. Especially when you've loaded the computer with some software.
And the need for reinstalling OS after couple months because of the viruses, unused files and so on. Lot's of mess.

After many many years I felt that nostalgia and installed Windows 98 on one of my computers. Don't know why, but it felt like almost unusable piece of crap. You want to copy files from CD-ROM? Bang, you got freeze until copying is done. You want to put more memory? Nope. It will crash your system spectacularly. And so on and so on.
Maybe my expectations were too high, but after that experience I'm cured and I don't have "DOS" based Windows on almost any of my computers.

Since then I'm always trying to put Windows 2000 whenever is possible. I found it to be rock solid, stable. It handles dual core processors well, it handles let's say 2048 MB of ram with no issue. Also developing programs for the NT platform is a lot better experience (Windows 2000 is compatible with Visual C++ 2005 and MSVS2005 IDE).

Since then I'm trying to stick with NT based OS'es from Microsoft. Mainly Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP. I hope some day I will give another try and put some 9x OS again on my PC. This time with a lot lower expectations 😁

PC1: Highscreen => FIC PA-2005, 64 MB EDO RAM, Pentium MMX 200, S3 Virge + Voodoo 2 8 MB
PC2: AOpen => GA-586SG, 512 MB SDRAM, AMD K6-2 400 MHz, Geforce 2 MX 400

Reply 265 of 749, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I put 40 and sometimes 80 GB hard drives in all my machines, even my 286. Screw having to delete something to install something other. I do have period correct 40 and 80 MFM/IDE hard drives but i just have them on display because the speed is horrid and the have so little space.

Reply 266 of 749, by therevisiona

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also i pretty much like retro tech for the tracking down parts/building aspect. Once the machine is built i just put it on a shelf for display until i want to play some games, end up playing lemmings for one day and on the shelf it goes. Repairing a broken computer? Even more entertaining! Once its repaired i just post it on facebook how i managed to get it going and it goes on the shelf.

Reply 268 of 749, by mOPQatjjIGnZ6ORlY

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Retro hardware is overrated. I just want the smoothest, prettiest game experience even if it means a source port or re-implementation.

And I'll take enhancements of all kinds, even if they violate the 'purity' of the experience. Though it's true that some enhancements or emulation are just uglier, like color inaccuracies ruining some pre-GPU game graphics or mediocre 3D models replacing quality sprite work.

Reply 271 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
winuser_pl wrote on 2021-01-24, 14:23:
When I was a teenager (around early 2000s) I had Compaq Presario CDS-520 equipped with an AMD 486 SX-2 66 MHz. The computer was […]
Show full quote

When I was a teenager (around early 2000s) I had Compaq Presario CDS-520 equipped with an AMD 486 SX-2 66 MHz. The computer was struggling to play MP3 files at the lowest possibly quality because of the fact that CPU hadn't been equipped with FPU unit.
The operating system was Windows 95. It had it's problems, but it worked. Many of the problems came because of the "DOS" based OS (although the PC was not fast enough to handle NT). Then I had another computer with Pentium 166 MMX paired with Windows 98 SE. This time the computer had much more power, but still, crappy Windows "dos based". It crashed every hour, that was a nightmare. Especially when you've loaded the computer with some software.
And the need for reinstalling OS after couple months because of the viruses, unused files and so on. Lot's of mess.

After many many years I felt that nostalgia and installed Windows 98 on one of my computers. Don't know why, but it felt like almost unusable piece of crap. You want to copy files from CD-ROM? Bang, you got freeze until copying is done. You want to put more memory? Nope. It will crash your system spectacularly. And so on and so on.
Maybe my expectations were too high, but after that experience I'm cured and I don't have "DOS" based Windows on almost any of my computers.

Since then I'm always trying to put Windows 2000 whenever is possible. I found it to be rock solid, stable. It handles dual core processors well, it handles let's say 2048 MB of ram with no issue. Also developing programs for the NT platform is a lot better experience (Windows 2000 is compatible with Visual C++ 2005 and MSVS2005 IDE).

Since then I'm trying to stick with NT based OS'es from Microsoft. Mainly Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP. I hope some day I will give another try and put some 9x OS again on my PC. This time with a lot lower expectations 😁

Windows 9x os's are unstable crash happy messes. Windows 2000 won't run smoothly on really old systems. Try playing Flash files on an AMD 80586 133mhz. Lotsa fun!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 272 of 749, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't get the fascination with "midi". It's not music, it's just a load of silly beeps and squeaks!

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 273 of 749, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
texterted wrote on 2021-01-25, 10:00:

I don't get the fascination with "midi". It's not music, it's just a load of silly beeps and squeaks!

Aren't you speaking about FM synthesis...? 🙂

BTW, MIDI is just a communication protocol, it is not type of music.

Reply 274 of 749, by texterted

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There you go then, told you I didn't get it! 😁

Cheers

Ted

98se/W2K :- Asus A8v Dlx. A-64 3500+, 512 mb ddr, Radeon 9800 Pro, SB Live.
XP Pro:- Asus P5 Q SE Plus, C2D E8400, 4 Gig DDR2, Radeon HD4870, SB Audigy 2ZS.

Reply 275 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try pc-speaker "music"...

Reply 276 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get it either. MOD music was vastly superior.

Reply 277 of 749, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-01-25, 14:01:

I don't get it either. MOD music was vastly superior.

Absolutely. The only DOS era sound card comparable with Amiga was GUS.

Reply 278 of 749, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Boooo, Midi, if done correctly, is amazing. (Prince of Persia 2 with SoundBlaster 16 or Dune 2 with AdLib and Roland MT-32)

Even the PS2 had games that used Midi-Sequencers for high quality music that perfectly loops, one example is Silent Hill 2.

Using a Midi-Sequencer for game music can be so much nicer and more organic due to how it allows perfect infinite looping of music and how it properly ends the songs with the last instruments being played rather just fading out while the song never ends.