Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 381 of 749, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-02-06, 07:38:

I mainly buy games on GOG just for the goodies.

On this note, I only grab the free games from GOG/Steam/Epic. Never bought anything from these.

Reply 382 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sf78 wrote on 2021-02-06, 08:23:

On this note, I only grab the free games from GOG/Steam/Epic. Never bought anything from these.

I tend to spend a few bucks on steam sales if I see a dosbox game that I like and the price is low. I feel there are too many games on steam that are asking for way too much money when all it is, is a custom dosbox config file and/or a cracked exe.

Remasters are a different story, I feel like the people who worked on making it playable with modernised gfx/sound have earned a bit of cash.

Attachments

Reply 383 of 749, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-02-06, 08:40:

I tend to spend a few bucks on steam sales if I see a dosbox game that I like and the price is low. I feel there are too many games on steam that are asking for way too much money when all it is, is a custom dosbox config file and/or a cracked exe.

That's reasonable thinking. My reasoning is that I already have over 200 boxed games on the shelf that I should play first (and sell ) before I buy anything more. The other, maybe bigger reason, is that I don't find any value in digital copies. They are just bits in some cloud that are downloadable as long as the service is running. Most of the people and companies that made those games are long gone from the industry, so they're not getting a cent. That's why I don't have Spotify, but a few hundred CD's and LP's.

Not that it isn't a great way to replay some of the classic on a new system, but I didn't really build a modern PC so I can play 30 year old games on it now did I? It's also cheaper to get them from Steam than shell money on an authentic copy, but would you really feel the same about having a full Beatles collection in your phone on in your vinyl shelf? I rather think digital services have devalued games, music and movies to something you get on a whim and then toss aside a minute later.

Reply 385 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of DOS games on Steam are sold without music or cutscenes. Relativetly unknown titles such as Quake, for example.
Back in the day, ripped versions used to be free !

Last edited by xcomcmdr on 2021-02-06, 09:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 386 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-06, 09:42:

A lot of DOS games of Steam are sold without music or cutscenes. Relativetly unknown titles such as Quake, for example.

unknown? did you miss a word here?

Reply 387 of 749, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-02-06, 08:22:

what goodies do you mean? like the manuals and soundtracks etc? its a good bonus.

Yes. Both goodies and extras. For example I bought Bad Mojo Redux today (already have copies of the game somewhere), because it came with:

EXTRAS
Manual 18 MB
Wallpaper 1 MB
Soundtrack (FLAC) 542 MB
Soundtrack (MP3) 200 MB
The Bad Mojo team 2 MB
Developer's commentary videos (4) 52 MB
Video hints (6) 42 MB
Making of Bad Mojo 337 MB
Storyboards (4) 19 MB
Concept artworks (28) 13 MB
Gallery

Reply 388 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-02-06, 09:50:

A lot of DOS games on Steam are sold without music or cutscenes. Relativetly unknown titles such as Quake, for example.

Sarcasm, my boy.

Reply 389 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-06, 09:53:
foil_fresh wrote on 2021-02-06, 09:50:

Sarcasm, my boy.

phew

Reply 390 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good. Now, we can go back to the topic at hand.

So my retro confession:
Monkey Island 3 is the best one, and the best possible version of MI 3 even if the original authors did not participate in its making.
It looks and sounds so good, and it has a ligher mood than MI 2. I find the humor superior and its still very beautiful to this day. No remaster required.

Reply 391 of 749, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think I only ever played the demo of MI3 and that's as a die hard MI fan, the artstyle simply does not resonate with me, I love MI for the pixel graphics and MI3 also fundamentally changed the look and feel of characters by going full comic style.
don't get me wrong, not saying it's bad, it's just not Monkey Island for me anymore.

Reply 392 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I grew up with the first one the Amiga back in the day.
For me it was MI enhanced with voices and way greater details in the visuals, CD music, etc. ...
HD before HD. 😀

Reply 395 of 749, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I kinda really, really hate Windows 98. When I need a 9x, I use 95 OSR2.1 instead. However, I have a computer I bought with 98SE preinstalled and it's given me enough trouble within Windows that I just use it as a DOS 7 machine. Unfortunately, 98 has more driver support.

Also, I regularly use Whistler 2416 as a daily OS on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 2200, mfg. March 2005), connected to the internet at that. Ironically, it's more stable than 98SE.

Reply 396 of 749, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-02-06, 17:18:

Every single Geforce FX series graphics card I came across in my life without exception was faulty or dead.

That is really bad luck. I hope you get a working one soon, if you still want one .

I have had good luck with an FX5900 and some FX5900XT ones . I would avoid any thing faster/hotter running as they indeed tend to commit suicide

And TBH, if you got several bad FX5200/FX5500 , cards, unless you really lost the capacitor lottery (though that is repairable, normally), you were extra unlucky as those usually run rather cool and are, AFAIK, rather reliable (at least 3 or 4 that I have seen in the las 4 years).

EDIT : I did get 2 bad FX generation Quadros, though and one working one .

Reply 397 of 749, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Every single Geforce FX series graphics card I came across in my life without exception was faulty or dead.

I initially misread that as GeForce RTX and I was gonna say,

Yeah I'd beleive it. Iv run across more dead modern GPUs then any old ones iv boughten off eBay. Iv never had a dead one out of the box that iv bought personally, but iv seen and heard from friends/strangers of their previous gen cards biting the dust, not even 10+ years in.

When Voodoo 2s without the kind of fancy cooling we have today last longer then a GTX970...idk sometimes 😜

Probably has to do with all the heat and intense use like mining some go through.

Reply 398 of 749, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-02-06, 19:40:
That is really bad luck. I hope you get a working one soon, if you still want one . […]
Show full quote

That is really bad luck. I hope you get a working one soon, if you still want one .

I have had good luck with an FX5900 and some FX5900XT ones . I would avoid any thing faster/hotter running as they indeed tend to commit suicide

And TBH, if you got several bad FX5200/FX5500 , cards, unless you really lost the capacitor lottery (though that is repairable, normally), you were extra unlucky as those usually run rather cool and are, AFAIK, rather reliable (at least 3 or 4 that I have seen in the las 4 years).

EDIT : I did get 2 bad FX generation Quadros, though and one working one .

It is the worst luck I've had with anything retro related.

The two I currently have are work and sort-of work. One is an MSI FX5200 I got with a broken off cap. Replaced the cap and now it's fully functional.

The other one is an ASUS XF5700 which works fine until I install the driver after that, it's either glitches out and reboots the system before getting to the desktop or last just long enough to load the desktop then glitches out on the first mouse click and reboots the system. Like this:

fx5700.jpg

Well, at least it came with an aftermarket full copper Zalman VF-700.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png