Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 400 of 749, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
EvieSigma wrote on 2021-02-06, 21:24:

I don't care about the Apple II at all outside of the IIGS, and even then I don't care as much about the IIGS as I do say, the Amiga.

The Amiga is also far less crippled a computer, so there's no shame in that. And, if we're being honest, most of the appeal for a lot of 8-bit systems boils down to childhood usage.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 401 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:37:
He was an ass. People can try and justify that with his "genius" all they want. […]
Show full quote
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-02, 14:04:

While I understand some people might not agree I think tablets and smart phones are a wonderful invention. I haven't really used Android stuff and don't care for it. I prefer Apple. The funny thing? Once I saw that movie about Steve Jobs I was kind of amazed about what an *** he apparently was. At least according to some. I guess you might need to be a bit of a *** if you are willing to push people around hard enough to realize a vision you have...

He was an ass. People can try and justify that with his "genius" all they want.

Yes the guy was a innovative thinker...and he did in the end push the industry forward. No argument there, but he certainly did not do it alone, the engineers and developers and many other deserve at LEAST as much credit for making his ideas a reality.

And all of that is no excuse for being a giant douchebag.

Also Android is superior in nearly everyway to iOS or iPad OS or whatever they are calling it these days. Technologically or otherwise, Android has always been a step or two ahead and WAY less of a closed ecosystem.

Just my opinion of course.

Let me clarify my statement, I never ever meant to say being an innovative genius justifies being a douchebag. And yes, the engineers and developers deserve credit for realizing his vision and putting up with mr. Job's crap.

Okay, I am not gonna quote them all, but I read several posts regarding how the comics preceding a later material were much more shocking than what folowed (Sam and Max comics where more shocking than the video game for example, yadda, yadda) If anyone who wants to be shocked, (I was) go and check out the original The Mask comics (I have seen these online). For anyone who hasn't heard about them or read them, be warned, they are far more extreme than the movie ever was. While I enjoyed the movie I did think it was a bit childish as I got older. The comics however shocked me, although I could appreciate the intense material for the sake of laughing at how insane it all was.

Thank you, and have nice a day.

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2021-02-07, 20:30. Edited 2 times in total.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 402 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BetaC wrote on 2021-02-07, 08:10:

I don't care about the Apple II at all outside of the IIGS, and even then I don't care as much about the IIGS as I do say, the Amiga.

The Amiga is also far less crippled a computer, so there's no shame in that. And, if we're being honest, most of the appeal for a lot of 8-bit systems boils down to childhood usage.

Fastest Apple is an Amiga.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 403 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-07, 16:25:
BetaC wrote on 2021-02-07, 08:10:

Fastest Apple is an Amiga.

Both of those computers are hopelessly obsolete. The fastest computer is the one that outdoes all its antiquated competitors.

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 405 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, for nostalgia's sake it is. I prefer newer models.

Reply 407 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-07, 21:03:

There's newer models of Amiga computers ??

WHERE ?

Yeah there are but as far as I know the only ones that aren't FPGA stuff are PowerPC boxes built for AmigaOS 4.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 408 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-07, 21:03:

There's newer models of Amiga computers ??

WHERE ?

Did I say there were newer Amiga models? I meant to say I prefer newer brands and more recent models of pcs.

Reply 410 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-07, 21:44:

Oh, PCs. Pah ! So boring.

Maybe, at least you use them for something productive rather than throwing them into a shredder.

Reply 413 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn’t want an amiga if you offered me one for free. What in world would I do with antiquated cr*p except let it collect dust?

Reply 414 of 749, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-07, 22:04:

I wouldn’t want an amiga if you offered me one for free. What in world would I do with antiquated cr*p except let it collect dust?

Idk if your being sarcastic or not. But your posting on the wrong fourm if you think any kind of 16bit vintage computer is antiquated dust, ment for the e-waste incinerator.

Reply 415 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn’t want an amiga if you offered me one for free.

Oh, you mean you already got one ?
Lucky you ! 😀

What in world would I do with antiquated cr*p except let it collect dust?

Sell it for HUGE BUCKS on eBay of course !

Reply 416 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I am not sarcastic, if any of you want to collect e-waste that is fine by me. I try to use up to date hardware only. If I ever bother with old software it is only because I gave in to nostalgia for a moment. I have DOSBox for that.

Reply 417 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-07, 22:16:
Oh, you mean you already got one ? Lucky you ! :) […]
Show full quote

I wouldn’t want an amiga if you offered me one for free.

Oh, you mean you already got one ?
Lucky you ! 😀

What in world would I do with antiquated cr*p except let it collect dust?

Sell it for HUGE BUCKS on eBay of course !

No I don’t and if I really felt pity for the thing I might try donating it to a museum rather than have it recycled.

Reply 418 of 749, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-07, 22:17:

No I am not sarcastic, if any of you want to collect e-waste that is fine by me. I try to use up to date hardware only. If I ever bother with old software it is only because I gave in to nostalgia for a moment. I have DOSBox for that.

Can DOSBox emulate Amiga computers now ?
Awesome ! 😀

Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-07, 22:19:

No I don’t and if I really felt pity for the thing I might try donating it to a museum rather than have it recycled.

I think we are getting somewhere. Somewhere less edgy.

Reply 419 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it can’t and I don’t give a damn about old computers especially not Amigas and what not. You want to dabble with them fine. I only dabble with a few crummy old DOS programs.