Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Zup wrote on 2020-11-18, 14:52:

I believe that the "proper era" playing device for Doom is keyboard only. Although I've played many FPS with keyboard+mouse, I feel like cheating when doing so in Doom. Also, I believe that being proud of playing FPS with a gamepad is like being proud of driving a scooter.

Not true, I've played Doom as Keyboard and Mouse all the way back in 1994. I used to absolutely own EVERYONE I know over dialup, and they would never understand how.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 121 of 749, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:25:

1. Maniac Mansion is a much better game than its sequel, Day of the Tentacle. It's more fun to play than Day of the Tentacle but it's really hard.

Agree 100%. Other than graphics and sound, it seemed like a step back to me from MM back in the day. I also much prefer the corny horror setting of MM over the more cartoony look and feel (and setting) of DoTT.

Reply 122 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Maniac Mansion is a much better game than its sequel, Day of the Tentacle. It's more fun to play than Day of the Tentacle but it's really hard.

Having just played (and enjoyed) the Remastered edition of Day of the Tentacle, I should probably play the embedded Maniac Mansion then.

2. Day of the Tentacle has a rather weak story.

It doesn't feel much like a story to me as just a collection of sketches, like Monty Python's Flying Circus. I found it funny in places, though, and the puzzles were quite nice. Logical for the most part.

3. Sam & Max: Hit the Road is a game that will disappoint die-hard comedy and detective fiction fans. I love comedy but I found the jokes to be bad. There was one funny part though: the block of ice.

I'll keep that in mind, if I ever get around to it.

appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-20, 11:29:

Not true, I've played Doom as Keyboard and Mouse all the way back in 1994. I used to absolutely own EVERYONE I know over dialup, and they would never understand how.

Fortunately at the school where I played, no one knew about mouse play, so I could own them most of the time with keyboard-only. 😜

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 123 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:03:

Agree 100%. Other than graphics and sound, it seemed like a step back to me from MM back in the day. I also much prefer the corny horror setting of MM over the more cartoony look and feel (and setting) of DoTT.

I can't agree with this. Maniac Mansion has a lot of game over states as well as puzzles that are frustratingly obscure. It also feels like a series of puzzles tied together by a weak narrative that never progresses. It is basically Zak McKraken without the story or charm. Actually, I would say it is LucasArts' weakest graphic adventure; I had less fun with it than even Last Crusade or The Dig (which, IMO is exquisite despite what most people say about it.) Day of the Tentacle has better humor, better puzzles, better narrative. It is to me the unmistakably better game.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 125 of 749, by brownk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
  • ATI was da best in the world up until Mach32. After that, they F-ed themselves.
  • Voodoo series, except the very first one, is overrated.
  • Nvidia is nothing but a copycat.
  • Turtle Beach Multisound series is da best music card series, ever. After that, they F-ed themselves.
  • GUS is overrated.
  • Go Roland or go home.
  • AT mobo sucks. ATX all the way.
  • Slot1 CPU sucks.
  • Somebody should remake 440BX S370 mobo with all the care in the world.
  • DOSBox is godsend. Absolutely.

Please don't hit me. You asked. I delivered.

Reply 126 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brownk wrote on 2020-11-20, 18:09:
Please don't hit me. You asked. I delivered. […]
Show full quote
  • ATI was da best in the world up until Mach32. After that, they F-ed themselves.
  • Voodoo series, except the very first one, is overrated.
  • Nvidia is nothing but a copycat.
  • DOSBox is godsend. Absolutely.

Please don't hit me. You asked. I delivered.

For these points I'll give you a round of applause.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 127 of 749, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never really liked old IBM computers. Especially not the ones using non-standard stuff like microchannel or non-standard formfactors and non-standard cases. All I ever found I broke up for parts. Same thing with anything from a certain fruit company, though I did leave the one I got from my father intact mostly.

I also didn't like the old IBM clicky mechanical keyboards as they always hurted my fingers when I was trying to type with them for prolonged periods of time.

And I'm pretty sure not many people here will care about the next bit but I hate printers. I absolutely loath those darned things. Especially if someone I know has a PC problem and asks me for help and it turns out to be another one of those bloody malfunctioning ***kers @#$%^
🤣

EDIT: I'm confident enough to say that I've basically always preferred ME over 98 or 95, even though ME is thankfully not as hated anymore like it used to be, except perhaps by some ignorant fools. Both 98SE and ME have a place but especially in the old days there was hardly anyone who wouldn't mock me for preferring ME over 2k and XP even.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2020-11-20, 21:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 129 of 749, by ShovelKnight

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2020-11-20, 21:14:

I have no nostalgia for the Atari ST. It was always an inferior platform with terrible sound, with mediocre games and mediocre ports of Amiga games.

Maybe it was worse if you only wanted to play games, but it was a better machine for getting work done. Amiga with its crappy PAL/NTSC video modes and flickering screens was a pain, on Atari you could get 640x400 at 72 Hz refresh rate (in monochrome) for productivity applications. It was also a bit faster (in terms of raw number crunching) than comparable Amigas.

Reply 130 of 749, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

- I absolutely love Jagged Alliance 2 but up to today I never fully played through it.

- In UFO Enemy Unknown/TFTD and Apocalypse I have the habbit of restarting often just to play the early parts of the game, where it feels most exciting for some reason.

- I'm so damn lazy wanting to do guides on how to perfectly set up DOSBox for certain old DOS games for years, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Reply 132 of 749, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2020-11-27, 08:20:

I confess that, although I do play a lot of Very Old Games, I never play them On New Systems...

Ironically the reverse would actually be a confession here despite the forum name 🤣

Reply 133 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:40:

Maniac Mansion has a lot of game over states as well as puzzles that are frustratingly obscure. It also feels like a series of puzzles tied together by a weak narrative that never progresses. It is basically Zak McKraken without the story or charm.

I mentioned that Maniac Mansion was hard in the original post.
Yes, Zak McKracken has a good story, but the environments are poor compared to Maniac Mansion. And Maniac Mansion and Zak McKracken share the same problem: the bad interface. The reason why the interface of both games are bad because you have to double click to perform an action. This frustrated me a lot when I played those two games.

appiah4 wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:40:

Actually, I would say it is LucasArts' weakest graphic adventure; I had less fun with it than even Last Crusade or The Dig (which, IMO is exquisite despite what most people say about it.) Day of the Tentacle has better humor, better puzzles, better narrative. It is to me the unmistakably better game.

Day of the Tentacle is inferior to Maniac Mansion in a bunch of ways. Maniac Mansion has horror. That keeps you excited. But Day of the Tentacle doesn't have that excitement of the predecessor. Also the story of DOTT is weak and it feels like the producers of the game put in the story in the last minute.

Reply 134 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
newtmonkey wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:03:

Thank you!

Reply 135 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-11-20, 12:05:

3. Sam & Max: Hit the Road is a game that will disappoint die-hard comedy and detective fiction fans. I love comedy but I found the jokes to be bad. There was one funny part though: the block of ice.

I'll keep that in mind, if I ever get around to it.

I really hated how Sam & Max: Hit the Road relied on jokes and puzzles to tell the story. The game basically gave up the story and the result: you get a very lame climax and ending.

Reply 137 of 749, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-11-28, 08:37:

More retro confessions:
I know I have mentioned this but, am I the only one who thinks Guybrush in the first Monkey Island game actually looks handsome?

Looks more on drugs to me!

Reply 138 of 749, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-11-28, 11:00:

More retro confessions:
I know I have mentioned this but, am I the only one who thinks Guybrush in the first Monkey Island game actually looks handsome?

One does not exclude the other . IMHO, he does look rather baked in the picture . To be honest, he doesn't look ugly, but he has something very generic looking about him . I asked for my wife's opinion and she said that, and I quote, "he isn't terrible looking."

Reply 139 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2020-11-29, 02:14:
konc wrote on 2020-11-28, 11:00:

More retro confessions:

One does not exclude the other . IMHO, he does look rather baked in the picture . To be honest, he doesn't look ugly, but he has something very generic looking about him . I asked for my wife's opinion and she said that, and I quote, "he isn't terrible looking."

He's not the most handsome character. He's slighty more handsome looking than the average LucasArts adventure game protagonist but he's quite average looking if you compare him to the protagonist of Policenauts.