VOGONS

Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 140 of 749, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While the Gravis Gamepad is unquestionably iconic from an era otherwise dominated by 'Joysticks', it's not a particularly great gamepad. If you're using Windows 9X or higher, those Retrobit controllers like their Sega Saturn pad is far superior in every way.

Reply 141 of 749, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-12-02, 00:54:

While the Gravis Gamepad is unquestionably iconic from an era otherwise dominated by 'Joysticks', it's not a particularly great gamepad. If you're using Windows 9X or higher, those Retrobit controllers like their Sega Saturn pad is far superior in every way.

The Japanese/Later Western Saturn pad is by far one of the best D-Pad only controllers.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 142 of 749, by foil_fresh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BardBun wrote on 2020-11-20, 22:24:

- In UFO Enemy Unknown/TFTD and Apocalypse I have the habbit of restarting often just to play the early parts of the game, where it feels most exciting for some reason.

I was the same, and I still haven't actually finished the game yet! I've gotten to mars once or twice, got slapped because I didn't have psionics powers, stopped playing, lost save files etc. Over the last couple of years with buying old PC parts i've replayed it a lot more, each time learning more about economy or tactics. I've probably sunk about 500-1000 hours into the game since '96 over different platforms. Maybe my new years resolution will be to finish it... ha!

I recently bought the same version I had when I got gifted it as a kid - the Unknown Terror big-box that came with UFO: Enemy Unknown, Terror from the Deep (both on one CD!) and both huge Prima strategy guides which I hope can help me out.

A real confession: I thought XCOM was SOOO lame at first because it was turn based (I had Command and Conquer earlier than XCOM, could you blame me?) and didnt properly play it until a few months later. I visited my dad's house during a holiday and tried Command and Conquer on his 486 DX33. It ran at maybe 1FPS... I've never been so upset at a PC haha. So I fired up XCOM as it was the only other game around, and yep , I was glued to it for 6 straight days. Now it's in my top 10 DOS games.

Reply 145 of 749, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never actually beat TIE Fighter. Up until Campaign 5 I was doing fine. - once I am in the Assault Gunboat the difficulty level jumped up to the point where I get killed by the TIE Advanced again and again.

Reply 146 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ragefury32 wrote on 2020-12-02, 05:56:

I never actually beat TIE Fighter. Up until Campaign 5 I was doing fine. - once I am in the Assault Gunboat the difficulty level jumped up to the point where I get killed by the TIE Advanced again and again.

The Assault Gunboat (and the later slow as fuck missile gunboat whateveritscalled) are probably the worst parts of that game and don't really fit in well with the Star Wars universe at all, both aesthetically and thematically. They are as bad as the dumb as fuck bombers in The Last Jedi. I feel your pain.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 147 of 749, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I confess that I don't really care about boxes. I mean boxed items. If I happen to buy something boxed for my collection, I take it out of the box and keep it with other things without a box.
And I don't really understand why this piece of cardboard costs 600 bucks

Audioport.jpg
Filename
Audioport.jpg
File size
54.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 150 of 749, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I sometimes snipe auctions that have a certain buyer's highest bid just to get back at him for beating me in a previous auction. I'm very petty sometimes but I HATE losing.

Reply 151 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bondi wrote on 2020-12-04, 09:21:

I confess that I don't really care about boxes. I mean boxed items. If I happen to buy something boxed for my collection, I take it out of the box and keep it with other things without a box.

I'm mostly like this. I don't hunt for boxed items, with the exceptions of collections (multiple games in a single box). However, if I happen to come across a boxed game at a reasonable price (the price I would be willing to pay for the game + manual without the box), I do tend to keep it nowadays (I didn't use to in the past).

So my collection does have some big-box games (mostly bundles and collector's editions), many games in original CD/DVD cases, and some games in loose jewel cases + separate manuals. My modest collection of manuals includes a few games for which I don't even own a physical copy.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 152 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Zak McKracken is better than Maniac Mansion. Also a little easier.

Plus: the illustrations of the Zak McKracken newspaper are very nice.
(Pic related: Source of image - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7VqY0IbiY)

Attachments

Last edited by hyperrmachine on 2020-12-04, 11:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 153 of 749, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miphee wrote on 2020-12-04, 10:07:

I sometimes snipe auctions that have a certain buyer's highest bid just to get back at him for beating me in a previous auction. I'm very petty sometimes but I HATE losing.

That's psychotic, seek help.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 154 of 749, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-12-04, 11:02:

Zak McKraken was (to me) a lot more difficult than Maniac Mansion - a lot of moon logic puzzles as well as a lot of game over states without even realizing, sometimes you had to backtrack to a save that was dozens of hours of playtime earlier.. I think Zak McKraken is to LucasArts games what Gold Rush! is to Sierra games..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 155 of 749, by hyperrmachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2020-12-04, 11:06:
hyperrmachine wrote on 2020-12-04, 11:02:

Zak McKraken was (to me) a lot more difficult than Maniac Mansion - a lot of moon logic puzzles as well as a lot of game over states without even realizing, sometimes you had to backtrack to a save that was dozens of hours of playtime earlier.. I think Zak McKraken is to LucasArts games what Gold Rush! is to Sierra games..

I said it was easier because you cant die easily compared to MM
Also I used a walkthrough

Reply 157 of 749, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just care about bare metal DOS experience with all the bells and whistles. So i have no objections for LCD screens or modern ATX boxes and PSU-s. And thing do not need to be authentic, just compatible. Hey I can use a DVD burner with my 486, and even burn ISO DVD-s that are readable with pure DOS MSCDEX. Only athentic thing i like is a Floppy drive and Flopies. But just the 1.44MB ones, no need for some kind of 720kb or those 5 inch things.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 158 of 749, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Miphee wrote on 2020-12-04, 10:07:

I wonder how you identify them. By feedback count?

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 159 of 749, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2020-12-04, 09:29:

I have both an empty box + instructions looking for a game, and a game + instructions looking for a box.

Games are a bit diferent.
But when it comes to hardware, I'd never pay extra for having something boxed.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart