Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 360 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-04, 13:22:

DNF was never funny. It's dead and over used memes all over with cringe humor every step of the way.
The "cancellation" culture has nothing to do with it. The humor is bad, period.

This reminds me of how people reacted to the humor of Escape from Monkey Island. I've seen a lot of reviews of that game criticizing the outdated humor of Escape from Monkey Island.
Honestly, LucasArts' adventure games were never funny. Maybe its because of a generation gap, but the humor feels rlly forced.

Reply 361 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never had anything against DNF and never played that version - I did play the first classic DN games though, they were quite good.

I actually think that the problem could be a "generation gap" as mentioned before. The current generation (Gen Z, "Zoomers") simply do not have any sense of humor and get easily offended by anything.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 363 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a retro confession that one finds a certain popular game unfunny is often simply something that was felt at the time and voiced now in retrospect

Duke3D has a few mildly amusing one liners, silly cartoon stuff that cannot be offensive. Secret of monkey island and similar games were never laugh out loud funny imo, but had a sort of charm that stayed with many younger first time players (and remember that seeing characters moving on screen and reacting to things in this way was quite fresh at the time)

very few games are that funny, maybe some segments on GTA radios are good, maybe some one liners in other games too but overall games aren't funny

I don't think it's completely generational, and whilst humor changes somewhat over time I don't think the difference is as marked as it sometimes appears to be online, i just think most games aren't funny - and rightly so

Reply 364 of 749, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-04, 13:22:

DNF was never funny. It's dead and over used memes all over with cringe humor every step of the way.
The "cancellation" culture has nothing to do with it. The humor is bad, period.

Another confession: I don't think DNF is THAT bad.

Although it has some questionable design features (i.e.: weapons limit), I think that it would have had better reviews if it wasn't branded as "Duke Nukem" . Modern players don't like that sense of humor, so they gave it bad reviews. Older players think (and they're right) that it doesn't live up to "Duke Nukem" heritage.

I think that (sticking to gameplay, and forgetting all the Duke Nukem thing) it was a 7/10 game... not that 3/10 or 4/10 that most people thought.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 365 of 749, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-02-02, 14:04:

While I understand some people might not agree I think tablets and smart phones are a wonderful invention. I haven't really used Android stuff and don't care for it. I prefer Apple. The funny thing? Once I saw that movie about Steve Jobs I was kind of amazed about what an *** he apparently was. At least according to some. I guess you might need to be a bit of a *** if you are willing to push people around hard enough to realize a vision you have...

He was an ass. People can try and justify that with his "genius" all they want.

Yes the guy was a innovative thinker...and he did in the end push the industry forward. No argument there, but he certainly did not do it alone, the engineers and developers and many other deserve at LEAST as much credit for making his ideas a reality.

And all of that is no excuse for being a giant douchebag.

Also Android is superior in nearly everyway to iOS or iPad OS or whatever they are calling it these days. Technologically or otherwise, Android has always been a step or two ahead and WAY less of a closed ecosystem.

Just my opinion of course.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-02-05, 05:29. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 366 of 749, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-02-04, 12:24:
badmojo wrote on 2021-02-04, 09:01:
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-02-04, 08:26:

Even Doom was/is better.

Even DOOM? Duke3D, Blood, etc are good but DOOM is pure distilled awesome.

I loaded up Shadow Warrior last night for the first time in a while and geez it sounds good, it looks good, but I just can't stand that game for some reason.

Shadow Warrior is incredibly annoying in its level and encounter design, it encourages trial and error kind of gameplay where missteps are often immediately fatal. Doom is genious in that it has a nice difficulty (and difficulty slope) while always allowing you to work around sticky situations if you are good at the game - it might be tense and long but you can win almost any firefight, that is what makes you feel so badass. In Shadow Warrior, not so much.

I really liked the reboot game from.. 2016? That game fixed a lot of shit that was wrong with the original IMO. I hear the sequel is even better but I haven't played it yet.

Shadow Warrior is fun, but you described a lot of the feelings I had back in my original playthrough. It can be a really frustrating game.

I liked the reboot from 2016, i don't think i ever actually finished it though

Reply 367 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-02-04, 15:43:

Shadow Warrior is fun, but you described a lot of the feelings I had back in my original playthrough. It can be a really frustrating game.

I don't think I ever finished the original one. I keep getting lost in the levels, and eventually drop it and forget about it for several years up to a decade at a time.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 368 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-02-04, 13:47:

I actually think that the problem could be a "generation gap" as mentioned before. The current generation (Gen Z, "Zoomers") simply do not have any sense of humor and get easily offended by anything.

I'm not offended by anything rlly (expect for things that rlly offend me).
It's just the old fashioned humor style that I don't like. The reason why I never really enjoyed Peanuts (the comic strip with Snoopy and Charlie Brown) is because of the old fashioned humor style.
The LucasArts adventures have that similar style of humor to Peanuts.

I rlly like absurd jokes and jokes that are timed correctly. That one part in Sam & Max Hit The Road where Sam jokingly stated that the main attraction was not a Yeti, but rather a block of ice rlly had me laughing.
But the most of the humor of the LucasArts adventures feels forced and weird.

Reply 369 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
domomex89 wrote on 2021-02-05, 01:13:
I'm not offended by anything rlly (expect for things that rlly offend me). It's just the old fashioned humor style that I don't […]
Show full quote

It's just the old fashioned humor style that I don't like. The reason why I never really enjoyed Peanuts (the comic strip with Snoopy and Charlie Brown) is because of the old fashioned humor style.

i agree

i never thought peanuts was *that* funny at the time, it was a kind of gentle humor, nothing to laugh out loud at and not really that perceptive or clever generally - just gently and pleasantly amusing, as indeed are those games and as indeed were those games at the time.

i dont think it's old fashioned either, that same style exists now and other styles existed back then too

i think a lot of is is an affectionate nostalgia for what seems in innocent retrospect to be a gentler more pleasant time compared to what seems, in a less naive awareness of the present, a cruder less pleasant world

or something like that! 😀

Reply 370 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These games (and Peanuts) were funny for me back then, and they are still funny for me now.

Yes, it’s a generation thing. The new generation is definitely boring and likes to complain about everything. Try and name a funny modern game in this current generation?

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 371 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2021-02-05, 11:39:

These games (and Peanuts) were funny for me back then, and they are still funny for me now.

Yes, it’s a generation thing. The new generation is definitely boring and likes to complain about everything. Try and name a funny modern game in this current generation?

Undertale and Portal 2

Also not every zoomer are SJWs. Some young people dont find old fashioned humor funny.

Reply 372 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-02-05, 10:51:
i agree […]
Show full quote
domomex89 wrote on 2021-02-05, 01:13:
I'm not offended by anything rlly (expect for things that rlly offend me). It's just the old fashioned humor style that I don't […]
Show full quote

i agree

i never thought peanuts was *that* funny at the time, it was a kind of gentle humor, nothing to laugh out loud at and not really that perceptive or clever generally - just gently and pleasantly amusing, as indeed are those games and as indeed were those games at the time.

i dont think it's old fashioned either, that same style exists now and other styles existed back then too

Okay but maybe my sense of humor is different. I don't laugh that easily btw

Reply 373 of 749, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it’s a generation thing. The new generation is definitely boring and likes to complain about everything.

you sure complain a lot about the new generation :p

I really like the humor in lucas arts games, but that might be a purely nostalgic thing too.

Reply 374 of 749, by domomex89

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-02-05, 12:49:

I really like the humor in lucas arts games, but that might be a purely nostalgic thing too.

I think my sense of humor is different from you all. Some people are going to find some things funny, while others don't.
I'm sorry.

Reply 375 of 749, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nothing to be sorry about 🤣, tastes are just different, meanwhile I for one simply don't get the popularity of all the COD games, they are just utterly off-putting to me ^^

Reply 376 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2021-02-05, 12:49:

Yes, it’s a generation thing. The new generation is definitely boring and likes to complain about everything.

you sure complain a lot about the new generation :p

Touché

I like it too, and I have played again Sam & Max last year, sure the story is incredibly stupid but it was made for the kids of that generation. Once I cleared my mind and thought about them (the jokes) the way a kid would, again I found them funny. When I was a kid and played that game, I was used to watch TV cartoons like Tom & Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, and Looney Tunes. That kind of humor.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 377 of 749, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think it's fair to these (kids) games that you expect to still laugh with them, deep into adulthood. I don't think I remember a single videogame I would consider really funny these days tbh.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that videogame production has recently been literally invaded by the politically correct crowd. One example being swastikas getting removed from games. I am all for human rights and what not but at least don't try to change history or somebody's sense of humor, please.

Here is some content for @Bruninho, so he doesn't think it's all roses and ponies in this "modern" generation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2_Q7Vbrjc4 (nsfw)

For some non-pc cartoons check out adultswim production, for example Mr.Pickles show (nsfw).

I think I most enjoy clever/creative yet still classy humor like this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfKhDiUNOG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PQPfDbgHM

Let me know if you happen to know of any games that come close, would definitely play. I heard the new Disco Elysium game is pretty cool at some points for example.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 378 of 749, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of the AdultSwim cartoon productions shown on TV (at least here in Brazil) are bloody boring tbh.

JOBS, Steve.