VOGONS

Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 510, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1) I get more joy out of playing games from the 90s than I do current generation games.

2) I get more excited about tracking down a Voodoo 2 than I do about a 3090 FE.

New: 5800x | 32GB | 3090 | EK custom | Mjolnir / MBP 16 2020

Old: FX-60 | 5970 | MP 5,1 | MBP 17’ | PB G4 Ti | G4 Cube | ACD HD 23'

INCOMING 97-98: Dual P-II 333Mhz | 384MB | Millenium II | Creative Blaster 3D Voodoo 2 | Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold

Reply 501 of 510, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-03-25, 02:24:

1) I get more joy out of playing games from the 90s than I do current generation games.

2) I get more excited about tracking down a Voodoo 2 than I do about a 3090 FE.

This is a retro affirmation not confession 🤣

Reply 503 of 510, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-03-25, 02:24:

to some extent this is countered by there being lots of poor games and 'ok' games from that era that might have been worth playing back then but not anymore now

Reply 504 of 510, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,
This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to introduce myself rather than a "help me" first post.

So, I must confess that by browsing many of these threads (' been lurking for a while now...) I realized I don't really have enough love for retro IBM PCs as I thought... I kinda remembered how bulky and heavy and noisy they are and any vague impulse for rebuilding one went down the drain... 😁

If it was an old system I never had, like an Amiga or an old Apple, then yes, totally. But an old PC is not for me anymore... 'been there, 'done that, way too many times.

But don't get me wrong, I do love reading and watching all the work you guys put in them and it truly marvels me what you achieve, and I appreciate that you share the results of all of that with us, lazy software mortals. 😄

Cheers 🍻

Reply 505 of 510, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-04-11, 20:39:
Hey there, This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to […]
Show full quote

Hey there,
This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to introduce myself rather than a "help me" first post.

So, I must confess that by browsing many of these threads (' been lurking for a while now...) I realized I don't really have enough love for retro IBM PCs as I thought... I kinda remembered how bulky and heavy and noisy they are and any vague impulse for rebuilding one went down the drain... 😁

If it was an old system I never had, like an Amiga or an old Apple, then yes, totally. But an old PC is not for me anymore... 'been there, 'done that, way too many times.

But don't get me wrong, I do love reading and watching all the work you guys put in them and it truly marvels me what you achieve, and I appreciate that you share the results of all of that with us, lazy software mortals. 😄

Cheers 🍻

it's certainly a lot more practical to have one PC dedicated to 'old software'. It could be linux or windows and on that you can have various tools like dosbox, wine, virtual machines, source ports and software specific patches for win32 games that wont run natively, as example

doing that would cover 90+% of the things most people actually want to re-experience. perhaps a retro confession would be the recognition that maintaining loads of old PCs isn't necessary for the purpose of using old software - but i think most of the vogons regulars know that well enough anyway 😀

Reply 506 of 510, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it is of course much more convenient, but I reckon that keeping, maintaining, refurbishing those old systems is a goal in itself and not a justa a meaning to use old software. And I admit to have some envy for those who have the time and dedication that it takes.

ABD.

Reply 507 of 510, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-04-12, 08:09:
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-04-11, 20:39:
Hey there, This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to […]
Show full quote

Hey there,

Cheers 🍻

it's certainly a lot more practical to have one PC dedicated to 'old software'. It could be linux or windows and on that you can have various tools like dosbox, wine, virtual machines, source ports and software specific patches for win32 games that wont run natively, as example

doing that would cover 90+% of the things most people actually want to re-experience. perhaps a retro confession would be the recognition that maintaining loads of old PCs isn't necessary for the purpose of using old software - but i think most of the vogons regulars know that well enough anyway 😀

I feel like the distinction between "playing games" and "playing with hardware" is similar to that between "driving cars" and "modifying cars in the garage".

They are very different - though related! - hobbies.

Those who enjoy both, simply have the benefits (and pitfalls!) of both worlds.

Reply 508 of 510, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I've got another one, and this one's a biggie:

I think "real-time-with-pause" is awful and there isn't a single game that uses it that I don't think would be unequivocally better if it was purely turn-based.
You've got your real-time RPGs that can at their best be as exciting as action games, and you've got turn-based RPGs that can at their best be as deep as full-on strategy games, but RTWP is just the worst of both worlds. Just extremely clunky and it never feels natural.
Someone come revoke my retro RPG card now, I guess.

Last edited by NovaCN on 2021-05-01, 13:37. Edited 1 time in total.

[Insert late-aughts-style overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 510 of 510, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-04-29, 20:46:

There's a turn-based mod for Pillars of Eternity 2. It's a god send !

I've heard! But I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't typically like to play a sequel without playing the previous one(s) first and the lack of that mode in the first game is troublesome.

[Insert late-aughts-style overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]