VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, long time lurker here. Finally decided to be a bit more "vocal". I mainly just wanted to get some feedback on my personal site I've been spending time on. Mainly my Game Database section of my site where I post thoughts and general brain droppings on the games I own. Screenshots as well.

http://www.laxdragon.com

Last edited by laxdragon on 2015-06-20, 03:21. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's due for an update, my schedule is to post something about once a month if possible. Though I update the game db fairly regularly. On the search page of the db, you can search by last modified date to see what was changed or added recently.

Reply 6 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

laxdragon.com.20150619_zpsk6rmowwy.png

After many years, I finally got around to updating my website www.laxDRAGON.com. My game collection database is coming along. And my "puters" page contains a revision history of my computers through the years.

This latest design is fully responsive, so it should work decently on smartphones as well. Comments are welcome.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 7 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

"You have been recruited by the VOGONS to defend the frontier against retro ignorance and the modern gaming armada." ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 10 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snayperskaya wrote:

Cool site. For a suggestion, I'd add a icon on the master gamelist for games that you're already written a review.

That is a fine idea. I had originally intended to go through every game in order and write reviews, but that really became cumbersome fast. Perhaps I just need to pace myself and do one review a week or something. Also, I should put up an RSS feed for recently added/updated games.

I've been tempted to do video reviews as well, but I see so much of that on YouTube now, I do not feel there is a need for another geek rambling on about old games.

Reply 11 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a quick sample of what a video of mine would be like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD5AZqaa8hc

Reply 14 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yep. There is an IKEA about 2 miles from my house, so naturally most of the furniture in my house is from there. The glossy red really does make the room pop, and it offers a nice contrast from the hideous brown painted wall paneling.

This site was my first attempt at responsive design. I've been hand coding (no wysiwyg) html for omg about 20 years now. You might have seen some of my other websites around, I did WineHQ.org, and CodeWeavers.com, as well as the original version of ScummVM. I'll be redoing CodeWeavers sometime this year. Marketing has been screaming at me for a mobile friendly website.

Reply 15 of 16, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laxdragon wrote:

Marketing has been screaming at me for a mobile friendly website.

Ew... Even more reason to hate on 2015. Or this whole generation spanning 2007-2015.

And speaking of hand coding HTML, this is also how I work surprisingly. I also pay close attention to W3C recommendations and RFC's. You have a really nice website laxdragon, would be nice if you could share your knowledge of HTML with me.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 16, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

would be nice if you could share your knowledge of HTML with me.

I'm not sure what you'd want me to teach you. Everything I know comes from just searching around the web. These days I rely pretty heavily on w3schools and stackoverflow. There is way too much to remember, so I find myself constantly Googling how to accomplish things. If you want to do a responsive website, look into Bootstrap. It removes much of the heavy lifting. Last thing I'll plug is my favorite text editor: Sublime Text.