VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I came across this video I thought I'd share. This guy is really taking it to the next level:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqz65_YfcJg

Here's the blog post about the project: http://boginjr.com/it/sw/dev/vinyl-boot/

Pretty impressive.

My retro computers

Reply 2 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gca wrote on 2020-11-23, 22:25:

Impressive indeed. And I thought loading 8-bit software from a C15 was retro. Maybe for his next trick he could try a wax cylinder?

Or these ancient music programme sheets that were once used for automatic pianos?

The only older technology I can think of is the one that served in ancient weaving maschines (looms). The medium was some sort of punch card.

Anyway, neither of them are audio based, of course.
The wax cylinder likely will be the oldest technology here, in the conventional sense.
The wire recording (on a steel wire) was newer, I suppose.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 5, by gca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2020-11-24, 14:12:
Or these ancient music programme sheets that were once used for automatic pianos? […]
Show full quote
gca wrote on 2020-11-23, 22:25:

Impressive indeed. And I thought loading 8-bit software from a C15 was retro. Maybe for his next trick he could try a wax cylinder?

Or these ancient music programme sheets that were once used for automatic pianos?

The only older technology I can think of is the one that served in ancient weaving maschines (looms). The medium was some sort of punch card.

Anyway, neither of them are audio based, of course.
The wax cylinder likely will be the oldest technology here, in the conventional sense.
The wire recording (on a steel wire) was newer, I suppose.

A Jacquard Loom you mean? Yeah I can see that working, its just a fanfold punched card after all like you said.

Totally forgot about the steel wire thing, not sure if that work. Worth a try if your bored enough and have the gear to do it.

Reply 4 of 5, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cliff notes:
Bootloader is on a ROM.

Vinyl recording is really only an image of a RAM drive so it sounds like it just restores the data from the vinyl to a RAM drive.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gca wrote on 2020-11-24, 14:32:

A Jacquard Loom you mean? Yeah I can see that working, its just a fanfold punched card after all like you said.

Totally forgot about the steel wire thing, not sure if that work. Worth a try if your bored enough and have the gear to do it.

Loading off a punch card reader would be cool, but apparently a guy named Bouchon built an automatic loom controlled by paper tape before Jacquard. So, I'd like to see FreeDOS with a (paper) tape drive.
1280px-Basile_Bouchon_1725_loom.jpg

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder