VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are retro PC things, and indeed PCs, that are considered collectable and cool by many in the retro scene that you may think nothing much of

for me two things jump to mind

early voodoo cards : really there are a handful of games that benefit and the majority of games that do will get more from a plain tnt2 in a slightly later system. I know they are good (and worth a lot!) but they don't interest me because I don't think they make enough of a difference in terms of a retro experience, compared to alternatives

Original IBM PC models : oh these are cool indeed, and the waves of retro nostalgia are strong, but when its there switched on and waiting - what do you do that isn't done readily on a later PC or dosbox. If i had one i can't imagine I'd ever really use it

what are your examples?

Reply 1 of 12, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any IBM MCA from 80's and 90's. Just a useless thing when clone manufacturers have PC's that do the same and more for a lot less and which are compatible with the ISA standard. I sort of get the idea behind the whole MCA thing, but it was implemented so poorly no wonder IBM lost the whole market.

Reply 2 of 12, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nvidia NV1 / Diamond Edge3D, I'd like to think they are more terrible than the Voodoo1/Rush when it comes to graphics. The on-board sound card, while not that good, is space saving. And it's somewhat nice you can hookup a proprietary gamepad. Meh. 😉

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 3 of 12, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A GUS card I guess.

I'm aware that they provide the best possible sound for certain games like Jazz Jackrabbit, but that alone doesn't really sell it for me. And while the whole demo scene aspect of GUS cards is great for people who appreciate that stuff, I'm not one of them.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 12, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

on sound cards like GUS I'm in the same mind set - some cards may improve some games, and some soundcards are really good - but do they represent such a massive advance over fairly basic alternatives? It's one of those things that one can appreciate while not really intending to ever spend lots of money on getting

Reply 5 of 12, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, a GUS is only interesting if without it you have no music. That is only true if you are one of the few that was crazy enough in his youth to travel all over the place to attend demo parties. Like yours truly. To relive those memories, a GUS is almost essential because productions from that era have no or bad sound without a GUS.

Reply 6 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably anything related to CGL and Glint. more like.... lint!!!!

Also those dorky 94-95 home VR headsets (a byproduct of the immense amounts of VR hype at the time)

Finally, VLB stuff. I've never had a decent experience with VLB, as my interest in that bus was brief after one burnt video card and another fritzy video card since I was already on AM5x86 going for the high clocks by that point in time.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

386 and below, Our first PC was a 486 so have no nostalgia for anything earlier. It would be fun to tinker with earlier machines but would never really appreciate it for what it is.

GUS is actually high on my wish list but not for the prices they sell for. I put them in the same category as say external Midi devices and 3dfx cards that is very nice to have but the alternatives are perfectly acceptable.
Thing is I own a few 3dfx and a SC-55 as you can still find them for a fair price eventually even on ebay, even 10 years ago GUS cards were damn expensive .

leileilol wrote on 2020-12-02, 09:35:

Also those dorky 94-95 home VR headsets (a byproduct of the immense amounts of VR hype at the time)

Actually yeh that would be really cool to play with, for 5 minutes

Reply 8 of 12, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Over the past ~10 years I lucked into a Voodoo 1 and a Voodoo 2 for cheap or free.

Just sold both recently, in large part because I personally do not have the Direct Nostalgia of having played that 3dfx niche of games in the past - therefore, their legacy is only of theoretical interest to me.

There are so many other gaming options out there to get through, and life is short.

I enjoyed having the experience briefly to see what all the fuss was about, but that is all.

--

Model M / clicky "proper" keyboards is another one.

Again about 10 years ago, I got lucky and obtained a couple of dusty but perfect examples of these from a tip shop for pocket change.

Did not like. I can type a perfectly fine 50-100 wpm on any reasonable brand keyboard without really caring exactly what it is, just as I have for 30 years now, and adding an ear-splitting ten million decibel machine-gunning racket into the equation just doesn't do it for me. 😀

If I ever had to choose a computer keyboard to use as a weapon or shield in a zombie apocalypse, then sure, in that context I would certainly wish to have them back. 😀

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2020-12-02, 13:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pre VGA, pre 486. After ISA slot. Simple really.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 10 of 12, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2020-12-02, 12:50:
Model M / clicky "proper" keyboards is another one. […]
Show full quote

Again about 10 years ago, I got lucky and obtained a couple of dusty but perfect examples of these from a tip shop for pocket change.

Did not like. I can type a perfectly fine 50-100 wpm on any reasonable brand keyboard without really caring exactly what it is, just as I have for 30 years now, and adding an ear-splitting ten million decibel machine-gunning racket into the equation just doesn't do it for me. 😀

If I ever had to choose a computer keyboard to use as a weapon or shield in a zombie apocalypse, then sure, in that context I would certainly wish to have them back. 😀

sounds like that would make a great post apocalyptic LGR episode!

Reply 11 of 12, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2020-12-02, 15:03:
Shreddoc wrote on 2020-12-02, 12:50:
Model M / clicky "proper" keyboards is another one. […]
Show full quote

sounds like that would make a great post apocalyptic LGR episode!

"Dial Model-M For Murder"

A future cult classic.

Reply 12 of 12, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never cared about Commodore or Atari products.
Sound cards are irrelevant to me because I'm practically tone deaf so a GUS or SB does the same for me as an ALS100: generate sounds. Definitely not worth the crazy prices. For me.
Same with 3DfX products, instant price bomb for too little gain.
I hate notebooks with a passion: fragile, too difficult to service and very hard to obtain spare parts.
Foreign computers are awesome.. when they work. Try finding spare parts for a Pravetz-16 from Bulgaria!
Terminals: they are completely useless even in working condition but priced like a supercomputer.
Old hard drives: expensive and unreliable, most of them come as untested. Too much of a lottery for my taste.
AMD products, never cared for them.
Dual CPU rigs. The moment the word "dual" comes up the price instantly quadruples and the bang-for-buck ratio is low.