Common searches

Let's talk about our hated trends

Topic actions

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As fashion trends, computers and games have trends that appear and disappear... some to come back (as pixel graphics) and others to die forever (like translucent covers, I hope). So let's talk about our hated trends that we expect to die forever, never come back and be forgotten.

Some of my hated trends are:

• As I said, translucent coloured plastic covers. Appeared on devices like the original iMac, and quickly extended to many devices like printers, mouse, keyboards and even house appliances like iron, vacuum cleaners and even gym machines. That covers tends to get browny because of sunlight, tobacco and fingertips. Fortunately, it lasted only two or three years... enough time to try to sell changeable covers (my HP Deskjet 815c came with a white top cover, but you could order coloured covers to match your computer). I still wonder how many tangerine covers were sold, and if anyone changed covers like clothes.
  • Pre-rendered sprites (i.e: Astrofire). I mean those shown on last years of DOS, when 3D was awesome and computers had not enough power to render in 3D. There was a bunch of arcade games that used that style... awesome at first, quickly boring and usually playability was not as good as the graphics.
  • Clay style models. Although the worst offenders were clay pre-rendered sprites, they deserve their own category. Even today, that you can render real-time clay environments or do motion capture of real clay models, I deeply hate that graphic style.
  • Pre-rendered animations/cutscenes. I refer to early cutscenes (about 1995) or animations where the rendered models are different than models used in game engine, because they age badly (when cutscenes are similar to ingame graphics, they don't age as bad). It's a shame because if you cut any cutscene from Terminal Velocity, the game doesn't look as aged... but the cutscenes aged very badly (and seems that they were made only to fill CD space and make the game harder to share).
  • RGB leds everywhere. I like to have RGB leds in some devices (i.e.: mouse, keyboard) but using dimmed single color light (enough to see that devices in the dark). I hate those computers that you must use eye protection to look at or behaves like a high-intensity mood light. I bet some "modded" computers may be used as anti collision lights on ships and planes. Also, the everywhere bit is important... there are bluetooth speakers, mouse mats, TVs and other devices equipped with those lights... the OMS should release a ban on some devices to avoid an eye strain pandemic.
  • Apple Magic Keyboard (ANY keyboard like that)... I find them uncomfortable, but they're sold as "high-end" or "premium" keyboards (hint: they're NOT). They're even on laptops, where other options are better/thinner. (Confession: I have one of these. I bought it because the game costed about $10 and the keyboard may be used with any bluetooth device. So it is way cheaper and better than most bluetooth keyboards)

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 1 of 161, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My least favourite trend was the PS360 era graphics style where the colour palette was heavily desaturated and only browns and grey was allowed in the interests of "realism". Luckily we were saved from that by games like Bioshock Infinite!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 2 of 161, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm not a fan of clear cases. Looks great when you first build it, then you start to see all the dust accumulation and you're like, "Man, I need to open that case up and blow all that dust out but I just don't have time or feel like it right now." Months later, all the dust is so thick that you want to drape a towel over the case to hide the dust you never get around to cleaning out.

Also, back during the beige case era, I hated different shades of beige making it hard to match your optical drive to your case. Some optical drives were downright WHITE, clashing so poorly with a decidedly beige case.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3 of 161, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
  • Not exactly a "retro-themed" trend, but the chase for thinner hardware. Good in theory (why wouldn't you want your devices to be smaller and lighter?), but in practice it also seems to lead to much more non-user-serviceable hardware and furthering the much worse trend of disposable electronics.
  • Will also echo what has been said above about RGB lights. Fuck off with that gaudy shit.
  • The trend of bigger phone screen sizes. 5-6" is too big. All the phone manufacturers can go fuck off with that. The Nexus 4 and (original) iPhone SE were what peak mobile phones looked like to me.
  • FMV in games. Ugh. Glad that one went away.
  • Tutorials in games. Especially unskippable ones. And mini-tutorials whenever you pick up a new item for the first time.
  • No more awesome physical manuals that come with your game purchases. 🙁

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 4 of 161, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I just have one trend I hate with the fury of a thousand suns.

Games as a Service.

I hate that everything phones home. I hate that everything feels the need to try to be the last game I ever play and suck up all my free time. I hate that every game is constantly reaching for my wallet, reminding me that artificial road blocks are being thrown up and I can pay to have them taken down. I hate how every time I log into a game for the first time, it has a list of chores for me to do in the f0rm of bonus xp events or whatever. These chores are supposed to be the olive branch of fast tracked play if I refuse to buy a season pass or MTXs or whatever. And I could play the game however I want, but that's not really how they want me to play.

I hate how everything from AAA to indie has leaned into this, whether it makes sense or not. I hate how games are constantly updated, and if I take a break for too long, the game is liable to have been completely reworked and I have to learn how to play almost all over again. I hate how even the good indie studios get stuck on their first success and just update it for 10 years lest the meal ticket dry up. I compare it to a decade's worth of productivity from the likes of Bullfrog, Blizzard, id Software, Microprose, Origin, etc from the 90's and I weep.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5 of 161, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Namrok wrote on 2020-12-13, 15:23:

Games as a Service.

Not only games, more and more software are moving towards subscription model --which is actually rental than subscription.

Consider this, suppose I subscribe to Computer Gaming World magazine. As long as I pay my subscription, I get new contents every month. And if I stopped my subscription, I still keep my old magazines. In other words, I still keep the contents I already paid for.

And that's simply not the case with software "subscription" model; you don't get new contents with your subscription, and if you stopped your "subscription", you can no longer use the software, you can no longer open the contents you wrote with the software. And that's why software subscription is actually rental business instead of true subscription. And the consumer is always fucked.

It's time to move to open source software and wave a big middle finger towards those pound slimes in Armani suit.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 161, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Physical media, I will never miss the "Error reading drive A" or a stuck CD drive.
Sometimes the action of inserting or the sounds of a disk drive are nice but I love my gotek and the reliability but I've always hated playing games off CD/DVD's They get lost, scratched and just a mess if playing more then 1 game at a time.
Even back then 1st thing I did when I brought a game was No-CD it.

Reply 7 of 161, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Early 3D models and 3D cutscenes. They have really aged poorly. Hey even my opinion Wolfenstein 3D and Doom look better than Quake. Unreal and Quake 2 they got it little better.
RGBI CGA graphics. Especially the Cyan/Magneta thing.
Late low quality 1.44MB diskettes, they hurt the memory of flopies.
Late 90s and early 2k digital industry, especially media industry. Floppy is good, CD/DVD RW is ok for its time, USB sticks are excelent. everything between is more or less bad.
Late 80s to late 90s, where hard drives were small and costed half your computer.
Creative setting standards but made bad sound cards.
Pentum 4.
Exploding cappacitors.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 8 of 161, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Increasing box sizes in the early 90's. Most of these were unnecessarily large for just a few disks and a manual and only made so that they would pick the buyers interest in the store. Had they stick to the late 80's slim cases I bet we would have more "big boxes" available and they hadn't all been thrown away in the late 90's/early 00's for taking too much space.

Reply 9 of 161, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's nothing I hate more than the loss of the Thinkpad 7-row desktop-like layout keyboard and the transition to 6-row crap.

But some of the aforementioned things, like RGB LEDs, unskippable tutorials, and games as a service I find pretty annoying as well.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 10 of 161, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The removal of masculinity in every male character in all new games and cartoons, just to go with the SJW narrative of "men are bad" along with the over the top perfect zero flaws strong female protagonist.

Reply 11 of 161, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What? You don't like the "YASS QUEEN!" school of narrative design?

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 12 of 161, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
  • As was mentioned several times above, I despise the whole "games as a service" thing... it reeks of corporate bullshit imposed by CEOs and other "executives"
  • "AAA" games with gorgeous graphics but where the gameplay only consists of: long cutscene --> walking --> on-rails shooting sequence --> QTE or similar [repeat]. I consider it the modern day equivalent of the FMV game craze of the mid 90s, just let me control my character god damn it!
  • Including competitive multiplayer in a game that doesn't need it at the expense of crippling the single player aspects
  • Mobile games and "Fall Guys" style stuff, I'm not bothered by their existence, but the amount of these type of things seems to be growing exponentially during these last few years!

Reply 13 of 161, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They way some manufacturers glue everything together in a PSU.
115/230V switch on PSUs.
NO on/off switch on a PSU.
BIOS chips soldered to the board without a socket.
Batteries soldered directly to the board.
Proprietary anything in brand PCs that make an upgrade hard/impossible.
Entirely pointless BIOS passwords.
The power LED.
Plastic CPU clips and fasteners.
CPUs and GPUs without thermal throttling (that can be disabled by the user at his own risk).
PC cases with razor sharp edges.
The black fetish. I get it, it's cool but c'mon! There are other colors as well. (not white, dear)
Cases without dust filters. Those should be more readily available.
Loose SATA connectors without metal clips.
Unreliable hard drives that should've died out years ago.
Green hard drives like the WD Caviar Green. The slow spinup-spindown cycle that couldn't be disabled was maddening. I like green but don't cripple the computer.
Decades have passed and manufacturers still use the same plastic that gets yellow on the sun. Seriously, no new plastic available after like 70 years?
Those who made optical discs obsolete so we can't collect games/software anymore because we have to download everything with a purchase code.
Call of Duty/GTA/Insert_generic_shitty_moneymaker_game episode 12249.

Reply 14 of 161, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Please don't let "trends" go from computer stuff to politics or trends within society, that's a sure way to get this thread off the tracks. I'll keep an eye out and be warned that such posts can be removed.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 15 of 161, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gered wrote on 2020-12-13, 14:34:

FMV in games. Ugh. Glad that one went away.

Are you sure it went away? QTEs have almost the same concept (press buttons at specific moments)...

chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-14, 10:16:

Physical media, I will never miss the "Error reading drive A" or a stuck CD drive.

I don't think that it qualifies as a trend, because at the time they had no other options.

Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-12-14, 12:05:

Most of this list are signs of their time but not trends. With CGA you had only two palettes, bad floppies and capacitors were about cutting costs, expensive hard drives were expensive, Creative behaviour... thank goodness it was not a trend and there were other brands that offered better cards/support.

Miphee wrote on 2020-12-14, 19:40:

The black fetish. I get it, it's cool but c'mon! There are other colors as well. (not white, dear)

I think that black cases are a great improvement (compared to beige devices). Black can be combined with every other colour (i.e.: my dark grey scanner), and don't get brownish with time. Brilliant white cases (like Apple ones) are questionable. They seem cheap and plastic.

Green hard drives like the WD Caviar Green. The slow spinup-spindown cycle that couldn't be disabled was maddening. I like green but don't cripple the computer.

+1000

Those who made optical discs obsolete so we can't collect games/software anymore because we have to download everything with a purchase code.

I think that big optical disks should be obsolete, but to be replaced with other kind of storage (like 8cm optical storage with enough capacity). Without physical media, your software will be yours as long as someone wants to keep their servers alive.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 16 of 161, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could see it as 'free performance', but the fact that modern CPUs and GPUs have a stock, boost, mega boost, etc. speed, all of which muddy the waters. If something speeds up when there's thermal headroom but throttles when it overheats, what meaning does the stock speed have? You already have that with laptops, where a slower CPU in a better chassis out-performs a faster one.

RGB/gamer everything, it's difficult to find a nice (wired) mouse that isn't gaudy. Blue leds in general.

Manufacturers being unclear on what you get. Hard drives that have the same model name as before, yet use lower-performance SMR technology. Phones that have a different CPU depending on the region, etc.

Added: the trend for everything to be video-based instead of text-based. Makes looking up information way more annoying.

Reply 17 of 161, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Texels. Voxels . They sucked then and, unless something has changed, they still suck. (How I mixed those terms up, I have no idea.)

Shovelware - most Indi and some other not huge studio games are way better than the stuff that the big studios try to push.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2020-12-15, 17:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 161, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2020-12-15, 15:25:

RGB/gamer everything, it's difficult to find a nice (wired) mouse that isn't gaudy. Blue leds in general.

I dislike the RGB craze in general, but there's something unnatural about blue LED lights.

Even if it's just a on/off indicator on a monitor or speaker, if it's a blue LED, I have to cover it up with black electrical tape. It bothers my eyes otherwise. In contrast, I have no such issues with red or green LED lights.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 19 of 161, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-12-15, 15:48:
Oetker wrote on 2020-12-15, 15:25:

I dislike the RGB craze in general, but there's something unnatural about blue LED lights.

Even if it's just a on/off indicator on a monitor or speaker, if it's a blue LED, I have to cover it up with black electrical tape. It bothers my eyes otherwise. In contrast, I have no such issues with red or green LED lights.

For a while blue LEDs were everywhere, because they were a new breakthrough technology and so everyone had to use them for everything. I recently bought an Unicomp keyboard and it's quaint how the company decided to 'modernize' their boards with extremely bright blue LED indicators, so now I've got a taped-over num lock indicator.