Let's talk about our hated trends

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 161, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote on 2020-12-16, 18:54:

- All websites are designed primarily towards mobile and not desktop.
- The insane system requirements on normal websites. It's ridiculous that a Pentium 4 should struggle as much as it does on modern websites. "Millennial coders "should be forced to code on a 386 to learn how to optimize code.

agreed.

I don't complain about mobile-first designs, I complain only about HOW they do it.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 41 of 161, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, this is Criminal, that in the early 2k we surfed the net and played Flash games, watched videos, had almost the same experience as today with a Pentium 2/AMD K6-2 and now a static home page will bring your Core2Duo to the ground, and dont even talk about video or something interactive. And everything was done with 64MB to 256MB of ram. Nowdays you can not do anything useful with under 4GB of ram. If you are not a "Gamer" then they just try to take your money other way. And you can use older operating systems, older programs, older games. But you can not get by with internet.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 42 of 161, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was also going to say this but deleted it as thought we were only talking about trends that had passed but as were not +1 from me
how many people download drivers on their phone, yet that what HP and Dell seem to aim at now with big stupid buttons and constant clicking on "more" rather then scrolling

My main worry on software as a service or DLC is how will the kids of today (whatever their actual age) relive their nostalgia in 20 years time?
No physical media means it'll disappear eventually especially if a games rights are stuck in some legal rights limbo.

Reply 43 of 161, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-17, 12:07:
Was also going to say this but deleted it as thought we were only talking about trends that had passed but as were not +1 from m […]
Show full quote

Was also going to say this but deleted it as thought we were only talking about trends that had passed but as were not +1 from me
how many people download drivers on their phone, yet that what HP and Dell seem to aim at now with big stupid buttons and constant clicking on "more" rather then scrolling

My main worry on software as a service or DLC is how will the kids of today (whatever their actual age) relive their nostalgia in 20 years time?
No physical media means it'll disappear eventually especially if a games rights are stuck in some legal rights limbo.

As we have moved from physical media it has increasingly meant that the only people who can play certain titles (there are already many examples) can only do so illegally

The hurdle on a title that was not even a downloadable is much higher since it could only be archived through illegal means (to do so legally would require extreme prejudice and might still fail depending on what was the content holder)

The direction we have been moving the last 20 years definitely has many problems.

Last edited by rmay635703 on 2020-12-17, 13:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 161, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well than god for us dinosaurs, where games were in floppies and CDs and so on, now we have archive.org and other preserving stuff, so we are more or less set. Only thing why I will someday have to upgrade my AMD A10-7800 APU 65W main machine is when internet is unbearable. Now it is all good with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD + 2x1TB WD Caviar Green.

Laws have to change, that software and games will become public domain earlier.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 45 of 161, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2020-12-17, 13:25:

Well than god for us dinosaurs, where games were in floppies and CDs and so on, now we have archive.org and other preserving stuff, so we are more or less set. Only thing why I will someday have to upgrade my AMD A10-7800 APU 65W main machine is when internet is unbearable. Now it is all good with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD + 2x1TB WD Caviar Green.

I have long believed that beyond very specific applications that remain in use decades most software has a shelf life past which “economic recovery “ is impossible.
AKA if it’s been 20 years, the platform is dead and the software isn’t supported...

Otherwise we will loose even more of our history, I’ve always believed everything should have been archived, most of all rare custom use titles, it’s worth understanding how things were done and revisiting.

Reply 47 of 161, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BardBun wrote on 2020-12-17, 14:01:

- Retro console/pc releases which are nothing but a hunk of plastic with a shitty emulator in them along with a very selective library of games and no support for original copies of the games.

I have nothing against, but I think this is a good thing because some parents can show off to their kids how good the games were before crap games like “fortnite”, “among us” and “cyberpunk”.

I helped one of my friends to set up a nintendo emulation for his old games so he could play with his kids (aged around 7-9 yrs i think). They had a lot of fun.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 48 of 161, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-12-13, 13:48:

My least favourite trend was the PS360 era graphics style where the colour palette was heavily desaturated and only browns and grey was allowed in the interests of "realism". Luckily we were saved from that by games like Bioshock Infinite!

That's a good one. Stuff that was objectively bad in the past like translucent plastic or whatever is kind of fun now, but the muddy brown graphics of the PS3 is not fun at all and I don't think it ever will be.

Reply 49 of 161, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bruninho wrote on 2020-12-17, 16:09:

- Retro console/pc releases which are nothing but a hunk of plastic with a shitty emulator in them along with a very selective library of games and no support for original copies of the games.

I have nothing against, but I think this is a good thing because some parents can show off to their kids how good the games were before crap games like “fortnite”, “among us” and “cyberpunk”.

I helped one of my friends to set up a nintendo emulation for his old games so he could play with his kids (aged around 7-9 yrs i think). They had a lot of fun.

I have young kids, and they make no distinctions based on graphics at all. They accept 8 bit and modern stuff just about equally. My daughter loves her some mario 😁.

Reply 50 of 161, by slivercr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've thought about this as well. I really used to hate that every generation Nintendo gets to sell their old games ALL OVER AGAIN in a "Virtual Console" of some kind and people praise them. It stopped bothering me when I understood that I am clearly not their target demographic.

I hate the trend of people associating liking very old games with hating newer games. I can see some of it in this thread, I don't understand it.

Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840
QuForce FX 5800: turn your Quadro into a GeForce

Reply 51 of 161, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
slivercr wrote on 2020-12-17, 16:20:

I hate the trend of people associating liking very old games with hating newer games. I can see some of it in this thread, I don't understand it.

It's not so much hating new games, more like hating the shady business practices that a lot of publishers resort to nowadays.

In short, they will stop at nothing to milk out the most money from their fan base. A lot of modern games are designed around micro transactions and become tedious grind-fests if you refuse to pay up.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 52 of 161, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

a hunk of plastic with a shitty emulator in them along with a very selective library of games and no support for original copies of the games.

This is the thing you're missing, what people want most of all is 'The Hunk Of Plastic'. It's a tiny small model of a game system they loved as a child, officially licensed, comes in the box that vaguely reminds them of unboxing it on Christmas Morning or their Birthday or whatever. They could play these games anywhere, virtual console, compilation discs, the big draw is 'The cute and tiny styled hunk of plastic'.

I have literally never even plugged my Sega Genesis Mini in, and I even ordered the 'Tower Of Power' addon kit from Japan which is just an inert Mega CD, Sega 32X, and tiny copy of Sonic 2. ...But my gosh it's adorable on my shelf surrounded by a tiny shrine of other Sega merch. <3 I have way better ways to PLAY the games on that system. (The game pads a nice for emulators tho)

Reply 53 of 161, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
slivercr wrote on 2020-12-17, 16:20:

I've thought about this as well. I really used to hate that every generation Nintendo gets to sell their old games ALL OVER AGAIN in a "Virtual Console" of some kind and people praise them. It stopped bothering me when I understood that I am clearly not their target demographic.

It's just hard to remove modern games from Games as a Service. Especially on PC.

I've absolutely adored some Switch releases over the last few years though. The system being a potentially offline portable really discourages the worst GaaS nonsense in the majority of releases.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 54 of 161, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

People who melt down on CPUs for gold and brag about it online. Particularly on YouTube.

I know you guys are impatient. But if you stuck em all on eBay for a decent price, you'd make more then you would going through the whole smelting process

Reply 55 of 161, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-12-17, 12:07:

I'd like to think that maybe this would be the first generation to find themselves standing at the end of history and liberated from nostalgia... but the profitable games will be trotted out again so they can pay for them again. Anyone trying to play some forgotten gem will necessarily become a DMCA-violating cybercriminal hunted by Sentinels from The Matrix.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 56 of 161, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-15, 15:45:

Voxels . They sucked then and, unless something has changed, they still suck.

Cloudpunk is doing them pretty well.

Voxels in a beautiful Cyberpunk neon-world. So simple, yet so beautiful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDEDICQEze0

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 57 of 161, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- The insane system requirements on normal websites. It's ridiculous that a Pentium 4 should struggle as much as it does on modern websites. "Millennial coders "should be forced to code on a 386 to learn how to optimize code.

Blame the browsers.

Back in college, I wrote a paper for my networking class where I said that too much security could lead to stuff running about as fast as a pregnant Yak.

What do you know.. it came true.

Saw it years before it actually happened because of the way stuff was heading.

That and the fact that most "coders" these days wouldn't be able to optimize code if their lives depended on it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 58 of 161, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-12-17, 20:53:

That and the fact that most "coders" these days wouldn't be able to optimize code if their lives depended on it.

Agreed. Most coders think they just need to throw in a few libraries, framework, glue it all together and it’s done. Badly done. 👎🏼

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 59 of 161, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well than god for us dinosaurs, where games were in floppies and CDs and so on, now we have archive.org and other preserving stuff, so we are more or less set.

Archive.org is sued, though. Isn't it obvious that gaming industry doesn't want competition with older games? If more and more people moved to older games, if more and more people realized there were great games without craps like DRM, microtransactions, and loot boxes, then who, in their right mind, would buy new games anymore?

While we're at it, another disgusting trend that I hope to be outlawn soon is loot boxes. Loot boxes is gambling, end of story. I'm a parent now, and I don't want my kids to be exposed to gambling. I already taught my elder daughter to love old games like No One Lives Forever and Midtown Madness --good old games without disgusting stuff like microtransactions and loot boxes. Thankfully she seems to like it.

Am I the only one who suspect that the hidden purpose of copyright law is to implement forced obsolescence, to prevent competition with older contents and/or orphaned works, instead of protecting the artists?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.