VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 52, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-01-11, 11:20:
Win7 on my 2 personal laptops. both are just used for web browsing but the older one is also my sacrificial downloading of ques […]
Show full quote

Win7 on my 2 personal laptops. both are just used for web browsing but the older one is also my sacrificial downloading of questionable sites PC.
While I do prefer Win7 to 10 this is more of a case of I cant be bothered to upgrade the machines.

XP/WMP 11 rig as my mp3 jukebox while working form home.

I also fully agree Office 2000-2003 is just the right mix of function and ease of use, I still find the ribbon and the 100's of function's I'll never use slow me down rather then make me more efficient.
But if I'm doing something boring like typing up a letter I'll also use my boring company laptop which has currant versions of software installed

So few years later and both Win7 laptops finally died. First one was the HDD and just wasn't worth the hassle to replace. The other "jumped" to it's death off the table.
and have been replaced with slightly newer Win10 laptops.
Still have the XP rig with With WMP as my jukebox though!

Reply 41 of 52, by SuperDeadite

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nvidia 3D Vision, I just downgraded my drivers the other day to get Evil Within working with it.

Also still keep win7 dual boot on my main machine as I have a very special capture card (240p RGB) that doesn't function on anything newer.

Modules: CM-64, CM-500, SC-55MkII, SC-88 Pro, SY22, TG100, MU2000EX, PLG100-SG, PLG150-DR, PLG150-AN, SG01k, NS5R, GZ-50M, SN-U110-07, SN-U110-10, Pocket Studio 5, DreamBlaster S2, X2, McFly, E-Wave, QWave, CrystalBlaster C2, Yucatan FX, BeepBlaster

Reply 42 of 52, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To the peeps using old versions of PaintShop Pro in modern Windows - how do you avoid the problem of 'ghost' instances of the program remaining active after you exit? I have to go into Task Manager/Process Explorer to manually close these.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 43 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Errius wrote on 2023-05-24, 13:06:

To the peeps using old versions of PaintShop Pro in modern Windows - how do you avoid the problem of 'ghost' instances of the program remaining active after you exit? I have to go into Task Manager/Process Explorer to manually close these.

i've used psp7 on windows 7, don't recall that happening so it may be certain combinations of versions and OSes. i'll have to watch out for it!

among other old software i guess older office versions, modplug and others already mentioned - not daily though

i do use some older emulators as well, those from the 2000's like zsens and gens

Reply 45 of 52, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A lot of people mentioned Winamp. I also run Winamp 2.x. One of the main reasons to run Winamp is because of the plugins, and many of these are also old... IN_SAP, IN_NEZ, IN_VORBIS, IN_PSF, IN_SNES, IN_MSX, IN_ADLIB, are all 15+ years old

JoyToKey (2002) is pretty important
COMit or the WinNT 3.51 Terminal program when I have to do some RS232 (to a retro system or FPGA)
KbMedia player (2004)
I run Acrobat Reader 4 sometimes despite having alternatives like Foxit Reader
I run PKZIP sometimes (like when long filenames aren't involved)
Dependency Walker (2006)
Saturn USB Datalink (2009)

Even on Windows 2000, most of the stuff I run regularly is from 2010+ or has been updated recently

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 46 of 52, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Salient wrote on 2023-05-24, 06:20:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:34:

This.
<winamp image>

Second that. Never found another player that matches this for me personally.

Cyberdyne wrote on 2023-05-23, 13:55:

Still use it even on my main computer. Older computers get version 2.95 and newer computers get 5.666. Never gave me trouble.

Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-01-16, 14:34:
This. […]
Show full quote

This.

the-oldest-software.jpg

I used to use foobar2000, but its playlists are messy. Also, I have multiple virtual CD drives to mount my NRG or CUE/BIN image. In foobar2000, you can only have one CD drive being active at a time, making it hard to switch between CD drives. WinAmp, on the other hand, simply shows all CD drives in your PC, real, virtual, or otherwise.

Win-Amp-and-multiple-CD-drives.jpg
Note the Audio CD (G:) through (K:), making it is easy to switch between CDs. That's not the case with foobar2000.

On the other hand, foobar2000 supports a greater range of formats, and can directly attach a CUE file into playlist. Not only CUE/BIN, but also non-standard formats like CUE/FLAC and CUE/APE. With WinAmp, I would need to either convert them to either CUE/BIN, which is then mounted to my virtual CD drive(s), or to individual FLACs to be put in a WinAmp playlist.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 47 of 52, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Using Windows 7 with every update I could get hold of.

Everyday apps: Office 2010 (Outlook 2010 to be specific). Unisys Mapper is used daily for my database purposes (this is about 20 years old now).

Not everyday... my collection of older Windows OS's (MSDOS, WFW 3.11, NT 4.0, WIN95, WIN98, WIN98SE, W2K, XP, Vista, WIN10) - mostly for experimentation and to see what can be made to run on them.

My gaming rig is WIN98SE and lots of DOS-based games therein.

Reply 48 of 52, by svfn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Foobar 2000, not sure if it counts since it is still being updated since 2002.

I also use Cathy on my Win 10 PC to catalog discs and their contents. It is available on Win 98 too: http://rva.mtg.sk//

Also use Exact Audio Copy since XP days.

Filezilla / Filezilla Server for transfer over WLAN with my Win 98 PC.

SS7: K6-2/350 | FIC PA-2013 2.1 | 32MB PC-100 | 3dfx V3 2000 AGP | AWE64 CT4520 | Win98SE
On MobyGames

Reply 50 of 52, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-29, 14:14:

I play Doom 2 for a couple minutes--usually some community mapset--almost every day. Does that count?

well i guess its software so i think so, adding games and it would be interesting to see if and why some folk play certain games almost daily

Reply 51 of 52, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerry wrote on 2023-05-29, 20:56:
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-29, 14:14:

I play Doom 2 for a couple minutes--usually some community mapset--almost every day. Does that count?

well i guess its software so i think so, adding games and it would be interesting to see if and why some folk play certain games almost daily

I play Doom 2 that often because I think it's as close to a perfect computer game as has ever been made, and it's extremely easy to start it up and jump in immediately without annoying intro vids, long load times, etc.