VOGONS

Common searches

Intel smashes Ryzen

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 106, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
robertmo wrote on 2021-01-13, 16:44:

zen 6 cores is still way more expensive than regular intel 4 cores 😀
Core i3-10100F 4 cores- about 100 $
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6 cores - about 500 $

You must be blooody joking 4 v 6. Try again with actual performance, power usage etc etc figures.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 41 of 106, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2021-01-13, 16:44:

zen 6 cores is still way more expensive than regular intel 4 cores 😀
Core i3-10100F 4 cores- about 100 $
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6 cores - about 500 $

No. That isn't remotely close.

Ryzen 5600 is selling NOW for $379 on Amazon.
Ryzen 3600 is selling now for $199 on Amazon
Ryzen 2600 if you hunt can be had for $150 or so
Ryzen 1600AF was selling for about $85, now they are admittedly a bit more.
Intel 10100f is roughly 115-170 depending on the seller.

No where close to 500 for the Ryzen. But yes they cost more....because they are miles ahead in performance and power usage.

If you want to compare apples to apples then compare the i3 again a Ryzen 3. Why compare a 4 core to a 6 core?
Ryzen 3100 or 3300x, or even a 3400G or something are in the same product class.
But I digress....

Reply 44 of 106, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The amount of mindless intel marketing drivel in this thread and the people who actually believe it is absolutely mind bending.

Also: i9 11900K is very likely a paper launch with very limited availability. Intel is in such a panic mode that they had to pull back the announcement of a CPU by 6 months, with little to no information about what the hell it actually is. At the moment one can't even confirm what process node it is built in. The most relevant information I have is that it is 10nm backported to 14nm++++++++++++ whatever the fuck that means. It's Intel grasping at straws to maintain some semblance of relevence in a market they have totally lost. Ryzen 4 will destroy Intel on the desktop, enthusiast as well as OEM.

Fuck Intel. Fuck them. Fuck them again. They can fuck off and die. Their existence has done the computer industry a gazillion times more bad than good in the time they existed.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 47 of 106, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I really don't care if AMD or Intel takes the lead. I have a price limit when upgrading my system, and I buy the components with best price to value ratio. Today I'm running a 2nd gen Ryzen 5 and this will last for another few years pretty sure. The whole AMD vs. Intel (or vice versa) thing is too emotional, imo. Both companies are very important for a healthy competition and lower prices, thought.

Reply 51 of 106, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2021-01-15, 19:08:

that's cause someone said how much of a difference amd did.

well.. they sell 50% more cores for about 500% more price.

(amazon prices without tax don't count outside usa)

Dude. Really.

You have to know this is false. If you insist on the "AMD is 50% more expensive" argument then at least have the decency to compare apples to apples.

If you are starting with a Intel quad core part, then compare it to a AMD quad core part.

Intel 6 core parts are NOT 50% cheaper than AMD six core parts.

Intel 10500 is about 200-220 us dollars right now (Amazon, newegg, eBay, whatever)
It compares VERY favorably against a Ryzen 3600, they trade blows.
The 3600 also sells for about $200 anywhere you look.

Now a Intel 10500 gets absolutely "smashed" byt a Ryzen 5600x. In every single metric.
There is no comparison here as the 5600x punches well above it's weight and is close to if not, on par with a 3700x or a 10700k.

The 5600x does sell for quite a bit more than the 10500 but like I said before---It also PERFORMS much better.

Now if you don't want to pay more for more performance, that is up to you. But don't try to compare six core CPUs to 4 core CPUs, it's silly and doesn't fool anyone.

And yes I used Amazon for pricing here in the US. Other markets will vary but I'm not aware of anywhere where the pricing you suggest is happening, it might be that Intel chips are magically half the price in your country...I doubt it. But hey if they are then buy them all day, I don't blame you.

But clearly that isn't the norm worldwide, so don't act like it is.

Reply 52 of 106, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Do you live in a country where Intel and AMD products are taxed differently ? Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't understand what taxes have to do with Intel vs AMD relative pricing .

Reply 53 of 106, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jasin Natael wrote on 2021-01-15, 20:34:
Dude. Really. […]
Show full quote

Dude. Really.

You have to know this is false. If you insist on the "AMD is 50% more expensive" argument then at least have the decency to compare apples to apples.

If you are starting with a Intel quad core part, then compare it to a AMD quad core part.

Intel 6 core parts are NOT 50% cheaper than AMD six core parts.

Intel 10500 is about 200-220 us dollars right now (Amazon, newegg, eBay, whatever)
It compares VERY favorably against a Ryzen 3600, they trade blows.
The 3600 also sells for about $200 anywhere you look.

Now a Intel 10500 gets absolutely "smashed" byt a Ryzen 5600x. In every single metric.
There is no comparison here as the 5600x punches well above it's weight and is close to if not, on par with a 3700x or a 10700k.

The 5600x does sell for quite a bit more than the 10500 but like I said before---It also PERFORMS much better.

Now if you don't want to pay more for more performance, that is up to you. But don't try to compare six core CPUs to 4 core CPUs, it's silly and doesn't fool anyone.

And yes I used Amazon for pricing here in the US. Other markets will vary but I'm not aware of anywhere where the pricing you suggest is happening, it might be that Intel chips are magically half the price in your country...I doubt it. But hey if they are then buy them all day, I don't blame you.

But clearly that isn't the norm worldwide, so don't act like it is.

This is def a point where just comparing core count doesn't work. Intel has a lot of mid and even low end 6 core CPUs, in contrast the 5600x is a high end gaming part, it just has three *other* higher end gaming parts above it.

Like, my brother has a 3950X? He wants to SWAP it for a 5600X as it'll suit his needs specifically much better (Basically better at games, lower power draw, and as a trucker that actually matters. The 5600X is an impressive CPU and in turn it's NOT a value or even 'midrange' level part.

Side note: Guess who's been promised the 3950X for CAD$800 once their brother gets a 5600X? 😁

Reply 54 of 106, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's cause someone said how much of a difference amd did.

well.. they sell 50% more cores for about 500% more price.

Wtf does that have to do with reality?

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 55 of 106, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The most relevant information I have is that it is 10nm backported to 14nm++++++++++++

14nm lithography should be enough for everybody.

Jokes aside, Intel is suffering from the same problem which AMD did after rise of Core 2 - they can't keep up with modern manufacturing. AMD also had to throw into market "forever young" 90nm solutions like Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (with ludicrous 125w TDP) and later had issues with Phenom due to very raw 65nm lithography. Intel had years to figure this out, but they still screw up so badly that even Apple is disappointed now.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2021-01-16, 05:06. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 56 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-01-16, 02:51:

Jokes aside, Intel is suffering from the same problem which AMD did after rise of Core 2 - they can't keep up with modern manufacturing. AMD also had to throw into market "forever young" 90nm solutions like Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (with ludicrous 125w TDP) and later had issues with Phenom due to very raw 65nm lithography. Intel had years to figure this out, but they still screw up so badly that even Apple is disappointed now.

Their [Intel's] fabrication has been in a state of turmoil, it seems.

That may be coming to an end soon, with news of recent days pointing to them shifting/outsourcing fab to TSMC later this year, who have apparently spent big in preparation to take on the considerable extra load, which some say has already begun.

I expect this will impact their profit margins going forward, with other on-flow effects forthcoming.

Reply 57 of 106, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It takes years to get new fabs in operation and TSMC is probably just getting more production down the road for their current major customers (AMD and Apple).

I would bet that is AMD could get 3x the CPU's made they would sell them all, same with GPU's. So much silicon going into consoles.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 58 of 106, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Unknown_K wrote on 2021-01-16, 07:14:

It takes years to get new fabs in operation and TSMC is probably just getting more production down the road for their current major customers (AMD and Apple).

We'll see how the news develops. The computing industry has been buzzing about Intel outsourcing to stay competitive for some time now. Chances are at-least-fair that Intel is working/expanding business with TSMC to some degree, and any matter involving Intel (A.K.A. "by far the largest semiconductor manufacturer in the world") is not small fry.

Reply 59 of 106, by SodaSuccubus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Intel "smashing" Ryzen kinda/sorta sounds like fanboy propaganda 🤣.

Corporate slides from AMD/Intel/Nvidia/whatever should be taken lightly. il wait untill real samples get into the hands of reviewers.

That being said, I am quiet happy to see AMD kicking rear these days. My first Ryzen was a 2700X and now I'm on a 3900X. It's been a very pleasant and refreshing experience from the years of Intel prior.

Yes, Intel generally seems to be ahade in game performance. But for the price-performance ratio you pay for Ryzen, it's kinda a moot point IMO. And Ryzen 5000 is suppose to close that gap even more.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-01-18, 00:22. Edited 2 times in total.