VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My friend just told me about this. Very fascinating. I wish I had even a fraction of the skill this guy had.

https://youtu.be/LtlyeDAJR7A

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 10, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep I even tried it on bare metal, just for fun. This guy would have changed the OS and computer world if he were not that religious/crazy/nuts/wackjob.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 2 of 10, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is a fascinating story. Temple OS is a bizarre creation from the mind of a very intelligent and very sick man.

Some of the accolades he gets though are unwarranted. It is hard to know how smart he really was. Writing an OS from scratch is a lot of work but you don't have to be a genius to pull it off. The thing I find interesting about Temple OS isn't the code, it is what the code says about the person who wrote it. It is like an odd manifesto, in a way. Unique, impressive, convoluted, and even more than all of that so very sad.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Indeed a sad / bittersweet story. He had fans talking to him, at least.

Some people say that genius and insanity are laying close to each other (my apologies for that poor English).
Maybe it's completely different, also.
Sometimes, I feel these "crazy" people have a a better perception for all the wonders of this universe.
Even though their view maybe somewhat bent or distorted sometimes.
Now that I think of it, maybe this is even necessary in order to escape the crude standards of society.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But he was kind of spiritual, too. Coders are rather atheists aren't they? So they are sceptics rather than believers.
Research with the help of computer tomography/core spin has shown that the mind/brain of spiritual people has special activity undergoing, if memory serves.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 6 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-02-18, 07:20:

It is a fascinating story. Temple OS is a bizarre creation from the mind of a very intelligent and very sick man.

This exactly, I couldn't have said it better

Reply 7 of 10, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-02-18, 12:37:

But he was kind of spiritual, too. Coders are rather atheists aren't they? So they are sceptics rather than believers.

🤣, no, they like to believe that, but more often they just replace religion with a lot of dogmas about technology. I actually did a MSc before getting into coding, and I'm constantly amazed at how uncritical and narrow-minded many coders are (also university-grade IT-education in my country seems to have some serious issues with teaching people how to critically analyze problems).

Reply 8 of 10, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Basically outsider art in operating system form.
The guy may have been a nutjob, but surely he was a less dangerous nutjob than the ones who seem to be at the top of the tech industry these days. 😉

yawetaG wrote on 2021-02-18, 17:41:

🤣, no, they like to believe that, but more often they just replace religion with a lot of dogmas about technology.

Yep. It's amazing how deep the Kurzweil-school "singularitarian" belief system goes in certain circles, for instance.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 9 of 10, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

back in the 90's I created the os-dev faq + wiki and had forums hosted on my mega-tokyo and all (later, a long time ago merged into osdev.org), and we dealt with this guy a lot and it wasnt fun.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 10 of 10, by DNSDies

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Poor Terry.
He was the definition of a crazy genius.
Temple OS is really fascinating, not just from the standpoint of OS development, but also a look into the mind of a talented, but deeply troubled man.