VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wayback Machine may have preserved some of the pages, but they sure didn't preserve the downloads.

And of course, Google is giving me dozens of unrelated or dead (link rot) results.

Has anyone archived the "full installer" for Legends 0.4.2.0? That was the very last version of the game that was released before the project ended up dying out. This was the first "Tribes 2" clone I played, and the game itself was freeware but of course the people involved in the project had to license Torque at the time. (This was way before MIT licensed Torque3D)

You can still find a original link to the game on GarageGames website. But, going to legendsthegame.net instantly takes you to the Wayback Machine.

Before I guess legendsthegame.net went bust you could still get Loki installers and Ubuntu still had the game in their nonfree repo. (which I assume was the loki installer)

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 1 of 13, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there something about version 0.4.1.43 that is not acceptable? That is archived. That also seems to be the last version before 0.4.2.0 was released.

Edit: According to the last comment in this forum, there appears to be a version 0.4.2.4.

Reply 2 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2021-03-12, 18:59:

Is there something about version 0.4.1.43 that is not acceptable? That is archived.

I'm willing to give that a shot to see if it has the content I was looking for.

Where is that archived though? And is it a "full installer" not a "web installer"?

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Alright cool, this seems to have had what I was looking for.

A shame that 0.4.2.0 or 0.4.2.4 are missing in action though, thanks though.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 6 of 13, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-03-14, 12:48:

Does this game have a single-player mode against bots, or multiplayer only?

Since I've never even heard of this Tribes style game I went ahead and setup a hosted game after seeing your question. Looks like it's multiplayer only as I do not see any bot options in the host game options. Looks quite nice with all the gfx set to the highest. Soundtrack is pretty good as well. Weird how the entire support community and the dev seem to have just disappeared. At least we have some of the archived executables. Looks as if anyone could still host a game if they wanted to.

boxart.png
Filename
boxart.png
File size
65.27 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there's some older versions that had the music in MP3 and the sounds in WAV, the 0.4.1.43 has everything in Ogg Vorbis for some strange reason. (even the sounds)

Would of been great if the Tribes 2 source code wasn't "lost", considering the Torque 3D engine is MIT licensed I would of loved it if the original engine source to T2 was also open and preserved. It doesn't seem very trivial to coax Torque 3D to working exactly like T2.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 8 of 13, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good news! lpbbear over at tribesnext.com has compiled version 0.4.2.0.4145 for Windows after some investigative work and elbow grease on his part. Hopefully a download link soon!

A big thanks to lpbbear! Also, looking forward to lpbbear's excellent looking maps for Legends as well.

Reply 10 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Really wonderful this was tracked down, thanks liqmat and extend my thanks over to lpbbear too.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 11 of 13, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2021-04-30, 04:47:

Really wonderful this was tracked down, thanks liqmat and extend my thanks over to lpbbear too.

I finally found what I was looking for as well.

On the hunt for a game called Ascension from ReWerX. Similar to Tribes and abandoned in 2010.

Reply 12 of 13, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2021-03-12, 20:15:

Alright cool, this seems to have had what I was looking for.

A shame that 0.4.2.0 or 0.4.2.4 are missing in action though, thanks though.

Great news! Version 0.4.2.4 has been found. Looks like you can activate some bots on one map as well. Cheers!

https://www.tribesnext.com/forum/discussion/c … /#Comment_30004

Edit: If you run into an OpenAL audio error just double click on the oalinst.exe file in the main game folder.

Reply 13 of 13, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2022-10-17, 22:27:

Great news! Version 0.4.2.4 has been found. Looks like you can activate some bots on one map as well. Cheers!

That is indeed wonderful news, thanks a lot for letting me know here!

I'll be sure to take a look at this soon.

― Κυνικός Δράκων