VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like restoration videos on YouTube, whether its a computer or something else

there is something about returning an item to its functional former glory that is very satisfying

sometimes it's just a quick disassemble, clean up and reassemble then add a couple of newer parts and done, I like that - it's probably the level of 'restoration' I would do, i.e. not really a restoration just making something functional again

then there are some amazing in depth restorations, from cleaning every part (the sight of electronic components sunk into soapy water always unnerves me!) to careful electrical restoration involving much testing of individual parts of circuit boards and so forth

all to rescue a once mass produced forgettable 486 left in trash, an object whose value could never match the 'labor cost' of restoring it, and yet I really appreciate it being done (and part of the reason I don't like videos of the 'melt it down' type or ones that wreck a PC for some non tech purpose)

Are you a PC restoration watcher or maybe a restorer yourself? there are some great examples on vogons, I always enjoy those posts!

a side note - much as I enjoy restoration videos on YouTube there is a certain 'type' I find laughable - its the ones where the thumbnail is a uniformly rusted object that looks like a fairly recent product which is then 'restored' to working condition. It is so clear these are not found object but deliberately aged object that are essentially in good condition and just need a clean up and rust removal, even more laughable and maybe sad are videos that 'restore' something to non working condition, ok it looks better but nothing functions and imo there isnt much point!

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there! 🙂 I also do enjoy watching restoration videos. If say, a totally rusted or broken PC or home computer gets returned to its former glory.
However, sometimes I feel sorry for the dude (former owner) whose upgrades and customizations get trashed in the process.
Often makes me think such a PC looses a bit of its soul/personality due to restoration to factory state, which is worse than being "dead".

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Usually a full restoration is not necessary to get an old pc to work and to make it look like something desirable again. I sometimes recap hardware (or pay an expert to do that in case of more recent hardware), replace parts like fans, clean stuff inside and outside, maybe lubricate something and that's it. If a pc case is really rusty and/or discolorated I usually don't bother with it, unless it's something really special for me. I currently have two AT cases that need some thorough cleaning and rust removal. They are worth it because they have LED displays and are very solid. I'm waiting for the nice weather to do that outside 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-03-20, 00:53:

Hi there! 🙂 I also do enjoy watching restoration videos. If say, a totally rusted or broken PC or home computer gets returned to its former glory.
However, sometimes I feel sorry for the dude (former owner) whose upgrades and customizations get trashed in the process.
Often makes me think such a PC looses a bit of its soul/personality due to restoration to factory state, which is worse than being "dead".

I agree, returning things to factory state somehow strips the history. I like to see restoration as continuity where possible

Reply 4 of 4, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpectriaForce wrote on 2021-03-21, 23:09:

Usually a full restoration is not necessary to get an old pc to work and to make it look like something desirable again. I sometimes recap hardware (or pay an expert to do that in case of more recent hardware), replace parts like fans, clean stuff inside and outside, maybe lubricate something and that's it. If a pc case is really rusty and/or discolorated I usually don't bother with it, unless it's something really special for me. I currently have two AT cases that need some thorough cleaning and rust removal. They are worth it because they have LED displays and are very solid. I'm waiting for the nice weather to do that outside 😀

as much as i admire the total restorations some do, like completely cleaning the case, carefully knocking dents out, repainting the whole thing and so so, i just wouldn't. I like to get things up and running again, good enough to work on for some more years, rather than totally as new. Still, i like to see that amazing work done though!