User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi everyone,

Just saw an interesting news at hackaday.com! 😀

https://hackaday.com/2021/03/27/an-ancient-8- … oppy-with-a-pc/

http://boginjr.com/it/hw/8inch-drives/

The idea isn't exactly new, I guess, but that dude also wrote an utility that enables proper use on DOS.
Driver.sys and DRIVEPARM seem to struggle with real 8 inch drives.

Happy reading, everyone! 🙂

Best regards,
Jo22

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 1 of 3, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually posted a real installable device driver for DOS over on VCFED that allows for proper use of 8" drives a while ago. Currently only SSSD is implemented but DSDD is coming soon.

Unlike this utility it does not interfere with operation of other floppy drives on the system

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool, I didn't know that! 😎

- I've got to confess that 8" floppies were a bit before my time.

The 1970s and the 8" era rather was part of my father's youth.
From what he told me, it must have been a fascinating era with lots of pioneers entering new fields in research and computing.

That being said, I'm glad that I can say that I once held an original 8" floppy in my very hands, at least.

It was a copy of Turbo Pascal for CP/M-80! 😃

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Weren't there plenty of third-party 8" external drives for the IBM PC back when it was new? Data exchange, and all that.

Funnily enough, SCP's original 86-DOS supported 8" disks before Microsoft ported it for IBM, so I'd be surprised if it's DOS itself which makes the job difficult.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]