VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 24, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

About decade ago saw video (can't find it now) where drunk russian ZX fanatics smashes Amiga (A1200 IIRC) on their openair beer party. Has it been in working condition before punishment or not i don't know. Anyway it was fuc...gly stupid.

Reply 21 of 24, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
aleksej wrote on 2021-04-12, 12:14:

About decade ago saw video (can't find it now) where drunk russian ZX fanatics smashes Amiga (A1200 IIRC) on their openair beer party. Has it been in working condition before punishment or not i don't know. Anyway it was fuc...gly stupid.

That's like Lada enthusiast breaking a Porsche.

Reply 22 of 24, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh, well. I guess that was because the A1200 didn't fit in a microwave oven? 😉
Seriously, though. I can't stand such wanton destruction. Makes me sad.

Now another sad picture.
Back in the early-mid 90s, I saw some sort of documentary/science show in TV.
Main protagonist of the show was a 286-586 PC running Windows 3.1, with ~14" CRT and an AT keyboard (Model M? Cherry?).

The PC was installed on a small table with the PC case closed.
Then the "show" started. And the PC was being shot with radiation.
Some sort of miniature EMP generator or a high-energy microwave beam was being used.
First, the monitor flickered. Then, Windows 3.1 started to spit out a blue screen and the experiment stopped and Windows desktop came back.
Next time, intensity was increased and Windows 3.1 displayed one exception fault after another.
After another pause, intensity was set to max and the PC said good bye, making some final sounds. Looking back, I think that was a bit sad. 😢

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 23 of 24, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take a look at the small chip that’s on this laptop motherboard - on the left you should see an SL4GH Pentium III Coppermine 600MHz mobile BGA CPU (it’s upside down in this photo). Right next to it is an Intel 440ZX-100M northbridge, and directly under it you should see a chip labeled ADP3421.

C87F69AC-7D01-4FAD-8196-55E67297839B.jpeg
Filename
C87F69AC-7D01-4FAD-8196-55E67297839B.jpeg
File size
297.17 KiB
Views
File comment
ADP3421 (*ugh*)
File license
Public domain

That’s the Analog Device ADP3421 Geyserville/Speedstep power converter, and it is found on a generation of laptops from the likes of Toshiba (usually the Satellite consumer models), Sony (PCG-SR and some C1 machines) and IBM (Thinkpad A/T2 x series), typically around the PIII Coppermine era. This photo is from a Sony Vaio SR9k parts machine.

They are known to fail after a few years of use and are responsible for machines developing power faults (they would either not come back on, or won’t come back on unless it went through extended downtime). The chips are EOL and no known drop-in pin compatible replacements exist, and it is unknown whether any of the known stock are still good or not. Every time I strip down a period laptop and I spot that chip, I throw up in my mouth just a little.

Reply 24 of 24, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote on 2021-04-14, 11:31:

That's like Lada enthusiast breaking a Porsche.

More like a ZAZ Zaporozetz or Trabant enthusiast breaking a Maybach. 😁

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.