Common searches

First computer-related job?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2023-05-29, 13:53:
When I was being interviewed they said they were specialized in fetish, which 18 year old me innocently though was about people […]
Show full quote
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2023-05-29, 12:51:

Ah, I see. The good old persuasion instead of harmful URLs.

What kind of adult contents did the company offer, by the way? Could you tell us more details?

When I was being interviewed they said they were specialized in fetish, which 18 year old me innocently though was about people wearing leather and whipping each other. I was wrong, VERY wrong 🤣. Their categories included:
- People taking a dump on each other, and playing with the stuff.
- Farting
- Vomiting
- Spitting
- Golden shower
- FIlthy/bad smelling feet
- Combinations of the above

Have you ever thought of taking a dump in a blender, add vomit, some urine and make a delicious shake to share with your friends? Well, somebody already did... and made a movie out of it 🙁. Usually at the end of such videos people would look like Arnold Schwarzenegger fighting the Predator.
5-ways-arnold-schwarzenegger-could-return-as-dutch-in-shane-blacks-predator-4-5.jpg

Aside from the more "messy" categories above, there was some other specific stuff like:

-People standing or sitting over other people's heads
-People having their stomachs punched (punched hard! Like the opening scene in Double Dragon)
-Suffocation, people being strangled or drowned, sometimes both.
-Dead people, which were actresses pretending to be dead, but bizarre nonetheless. They called this category Necrobabes 🤣

They did the whole process as well, I mean, they produced the movies and pictures, hired actors and used studios... Believe it or not there was a lot of investment behind it and I got surprised that such market even existed. The company was physically located in Brazil, but the vast majority of customers were from US and Europe.
Despite the bizarre line of business, it was legit and looked no different than any office I worked until now. Didn't stay long as already mentioned but they ended up out of business sometime later, probably because internet became accessible and people could find similar stuff for free.

I don't know how to respond to this. That's the most horrifying post I've read in years 🙁 , I think I would've bolted out of that interview.

Reply 21 of 27, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-29, 14:10:

I don't know how to respond to this. That's the most horrifying post I've read in years 🙁 , I think I would've bolted out of that interview.

Looking at the bright side, at least that job was somehow bringing happiness and joy to some (very specific) people
Nowadays I work for the tech industry, focused in telecommunications (internet/TV/phone providers). In other words, my job now only brings sadness and misery to all people 🤣.

Last edited by gaffa2002 on 2023-05-29, 14:33. Edited 1 time in total.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 22 of 27, by OldGameGlitches

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2023-05-29, 14:24:
OldGameGlitches wrote on 2023-05-29, 14:10:

Looking at the bright side, at least that job was somehow bringing happiness and joy to some (very specific) people
Nowadays I work for the communication industry (internet/TV/phone providers) and help them bring sadness and misery to people 🤣.

Lol. I still have to eat breakfast and I'm nauseous 🙁

Reply 23 of 27, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think any of us could beat that job.

I haven't actually had a "real" IT job. I fixed a few computers, but I never wanted to do it full-time. I got desperate enough to try around 2016, but I got a different job at about the same time that I ragequit the A+ because so much stuff on the practice test and study material was completely wrong. It gave me the feeling that nobody at CompTIA has seen the inside of a computer (or even the back of a computer, considering that their study material listed USB as a legacy port and they seem to think the UK doesn't use HDMI). All that test taught me was that ESD gloves exist, which look even more pointless to me than those wireless wrist straps that were all over eBay a few years ago. I don't see how they can possibly protect against ESD (you still aren't grounded), they won't even keep your hands clean because they're fabric, and you lose some level of sensitivity to touch through gloves.

I wonder if my current impostor syndrome as an engineer is an improvement. I'm sure it is.

Reply 24 of 27, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My first computer-related job was "programming" alarm panels over a modem at a security company. That was a very hectic, frustrating job, because the guy who trained me had some kind of mental breakdown and quit soon after I started, and so it was just me having to handle requests from 5-6 alarm technicians all over the place installing alarm systems. It was like a call center job. From the minute I arrived, until the minute I left (excluding lunchtime), it was just neverending work, three phones ringing constantly while I was connecting to 2-3 alarm panels over our modems.

From there I worked in IT for another 10 years in various positions (I have been working in a completely different field for 10+ years after that), some more stressful than others, but it really taught me a lot about how to deal with frustrated end users.

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2023-07-19, 18:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 25 of 27, by eesz34

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First computer related job was working as a phone tech for Gateway 2000 through an outsourcer. I didn't work directly for GW2K, but worked for a company they hired. It was a call center that held, I don't know, 400 people or so.

It was really eye-opening to see first hand just how little many of the people there knew, and they were the ones answering calls at the other end of the big tech support hotline queue. I distinctly remember sitting in on a call when I first started there to "learn". I ended up helping the guy with this customer's modem because he had no idea how to troubleshoot it.

My least favorite call ever was trying to walk someone through some setting in BIOS in a, at that time, older computer. The worst part is they were using TDD and there was no way to tell them to stop "talking". They would read the entire BIOS screen every time. That call lasted hours....it makes me anxious just thinking about it 25 years later.

Reply 26 of 27, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
lti wrote on 2023-06-01, 01:39:

I wonder if my current impostor syndrome as an engineer is an improvement. I'm sure it is.

In my opinion having a little bit of impostor syndrome is good, an indicator that you are genuinely trying to understand what you are doing.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 27 of 27, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That might be right, but there are a lot of times when I feel so clueless that wonder how I got this far.

Now reading that line in my last post makes it sound like I don't like IT people in general. I don't think I would like the helpdesk, but what comes after it sounds interesting.