Topic actions

Reply 40 of 192, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-21, 14:58:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-04-20, 14:26:
If MS-DOS 4.0 would have been a success, the movement towards Windows NT based operating systems would have happened a lot later […]
Show full quote

If MS-DOS 4.0 would have been a success, the movement towards Windows NT based operating systems would have happened a lot later. And we might be still living in similar era like we did during Win95/98 vs WinNT/2000 times.

But as of today, DOS has one major drawback - it does not support concurrent individual threads and does not manage the context switching and stuff all for you.
Even in embedded world, we have FreeRTOS, that does pre-emptive multitasking on 1$ microcontrollers.

But if the MS-DOS 4.0 would have been success...?

I mean, ignoring the reality where IBM is forcing Microsoft into OS/2 as a shotgun marriage (no way in hell they can create a better DOS that will undercut OS/2 sales) and DR-DOS or VM/386 exists? Eeeh, MS-DOS 4 is still limited to real mode and won’t offer memory protection like the UNIX flavors of the time. It's not really a solution, it's more like temporary bandaids.

At the end of the day you still need 32 bit extenders (like DOS4GW) to deal with large code/data (which is what most mid-90s DOS apps/games end up doing anyways), you still need to do manual bookkeeping to make sure that the DOS extenders/TSRs/device drivers fighting for a slice of that first megabyte of RAM will play nice with each other and multiple apps has its own DOS config on startup, and networking only exist in a limited context. I mean, if you have a small straightforward task that are highly repetitive with small datasets (like a kitchen order tracker with bump bars), DOS might still be useful, but it is certainly very niche at this point.

Like i said in the same quoted post: "If MS-DOS 4.0 would have been a success, the movement towards Windows NT based operating systems would have happened a lot later."
I never implied it would not happen at all. And all the reasons you bring out, are exactly the reasons, why this movement would still be inevitable.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 43 of 192, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS will die when its last power users are gone.

As long as there are still those who use it on a regular basis and know it inside and out (even if it's just one person), it's not dead yet.

Just like Latin. People say it's a "dead language"... nonsense. It, like DOS, will die when there are no people who use it any more -- not even one. It's no longer the lingua franca, as DOS is no longer the OS of choice for consumers, but its contingent is still strong (hundreds of thousands of speakers, hundreds of thousands of users) and the tradition carries on.

TL;DR the world population is big enough that few culturally significant things ever truly die.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 45 of 192, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
spiroyster wrote on 2021-04-21, 16:41:
imi wrote on 2021-04-21, 15:55:

that's basically what Windows was :p

Exactly, hence DOS dying when it did, and multi-tasking wasn't going to save it or defer adoption/creation of NT.

I bet without Windows 9x with it's pre-emtpive multi-tasking, but just continuing from the co-op multitasking of Win 3.11, it would have died a lot sooner and NT based op. system would have been consumer op. system way earlier. 😉
So it did defer well enough...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 46 of 192, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-04-21, 15:31:
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-21, 14:58:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-04-20, 14:26:
If MS-DOS 4.0 would have been a success, the movement towards Windows NT based operating systems would have happened a lot later […]
Show full quote

If MS-DOS 4.0 would have been a success, the movement towards Windows NT based operating systems would have happened a lot later. And we might be still living in similar era like we did during Win95/98 vs WinNT/2000 times.

But as of today, DOS has one major drawback - it does not support concurrent individual threads and does not manage the context switching and stuff all for you.
Even in embedded world, we have FreeRTOS, that does pre-emptive multitasking on 1$ microcontrollers.

But if the MS-DOS 4.0 would have been success...?

I mean, ignoring the reality where IBM is forcing Microsoft into OS/2 as a shotgun marriage (no way in hell they can create a better DOS that will undercut OS/2 sales) and DR-DOS or VM/386 exists? Eeeh, MS-DOS 4 is still limited to real mode and won’t offer memory protection like the UNIX flavors of the time. It's not really a solution, it's more like temporary bandaids.

At the end of the day you still need 32 bit extenders (like DOS4GW) to deal with large code/data (which is what most mid-90s DOS apps/games end up doing anyways), you still need to do manual bookkeeping to make sure that the DOS extenders/TSRs/device drivers fighting for a slice of that first megabyte of RAM will play nice with each other and multiple apps has its own DOS config on startup, and networking only exist in a limited context. I mean, if you have a small straightforward task that are highly repetitive with small datasets (like a kitchen order tracker with bump bars), DOS might still be useful, but it is certainly very niche at this point.

Like i said in the same quoted post: "If MS-DOS 4.0 would have been a success, the movement towards Windows NT based operating systems would have happened a lot later."
I never implied it would not happen at all. And all the reasons you bring out, are exactly the reasons, why this movement would still be inevitable.

No, what I am saying isn’t that NT will not be delayed - it’s more that MS-DOS 4.0 is destined to fail. For a multitasking operating system it didn’t take advantage of 386 protected mode, and it’s still limited to 640k. It’s limited by the architecture of the 286 and people are back then were betting that OS/2 on 386 will be the next big thing. It also doesn’t help that MS-DOS 4 were essentially like IBM’s Topview.

Reply 47 of 192, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@ragefury32 - i never thought that MS-DOS 4, if it had been a success, would have been the last version of DOS. Like, c'mon. 😁

And let me remind you again, as discussed earlier, Win9x did exactly, what MS-DOS 4 could have done years earlier - it deferred the adoption of WinNT based op. system for consumers.

Reply 48 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote on 2021-04-18, 05:14:

DOS never died. It's just that DOS is using obligatory GUIs nowadays.

And all these GUIs - Windows/Linux/Mac all trying hard to keep the terminals and command prompt to go back to what is best done in DOS-style.

DOS never died.

Dos got its cli by copying UNIX.

That is all......

Dave Cutler wanted NT to boot to a proper CLI Gates said no it has to boot to a GUI. There is even an e-mail verifying that.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 49 of 192, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In some ways, Gates was right in choosing a GUI if they eventually wanted mass adoption of that kernel by the household at some point. I can see why Cutler wanted a CLI though. Same mindset kept Linux a nerd OS for decades..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 50 of 192, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread is a bit confusing.... Why DOS died? Is this asking for peoples opinions or is it a historical question? DOS died for general use as it wasn't able to keep up with new technology and paradigms (for example, it's a real mode OS) and Windows no longer required it. Does that mean it didn't have a rich set of apps and hardware support? No of course not. Does it mean it was a great OS to use? Nope, not really, its CLI was terrible, especially compared to other OSes. Norton tools (and many others) wouldn't have existed if DOS had decent built in utilities.

Going back to its usefulness - anything that requires direct hw access would be a prime candidate to use DOS, due to its real mode nature, e.g. embedded systems. So in that respect, and many others, it is still useful. I wouldn't say DOS is alive and well though but more a niche OS at this point.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 51 of 192, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-04-22, 07:17:

@ragefury32 - i never thought that MS-DOS 4, if it had been a success, would have been the last version of DOS. Like, c'mon. 😁

And let me remind you again, as discussed earlier, Win9x did exactly, what MS-DOS 4 could have done years earlier - it deferred the adoption of WinNT based op. system for consumers.

No, I think it would, as unlikely as it was to be a success in the first place.
If MSDOS 4.0/Topview was a success, then DOS would have had an even uglier evolution than it had now - instead of 386 enhanced mode support/extensions for DOS (himem, emm386, DOS4GW and the like) it'll probably had to use all sort of uglier 286 based segmented mode hacks (which is what DOS4/Topview used under the hood) to let it punch above 640k, supporting all the apps that made it a success. Then who knows - maybe the 10 extra years DOS got out of shoehorning various 386 modes to support more RAM might never have happened. The devs would've pushed faster onto OS/2 just for 386 mode support, and DOS might've ended its evolution there. It would, of course, depend on IBM acting very differently than it historically did.

OS/2 was killed by better interoperability for 386 arch on DOS5+/Windows, better driver support for all the clone hardware on Windows and new PC bundling on clones (I don't think IBM sold OS/2 on new machines unless it's one of their PS/2 boxes), and also by IBM's PS/2 favoritism. If OS2 uptake was stronger based on the adoption of DOS4, though - It might've also lead to Microsoft not creating Windows NT as an OS/2 competitor as we know it (they'll play ball with IBM OS/2 and become an OS/2 software maker), or perhaps NT would be developed to work with Microsoft apps but end up where Warp 4 did - architecturally decent, but niche and eventually abandoned.

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2021-04-22, 18:55. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 52 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All MS Dos 4 had was the gui file manager thingy loading up first. As did MS Dos 5. This was optional. So I'm confused with the MS Dos 4/Topview comparison. MS Dos 4 failed because it had a few major problems which are well documented. One reason I went to DR Dos. Topveiw was just a gui tool on top of Dos.

Systems with MS Dos on were still being sold new well into the mid '90s.

IBM produced a retail version of PC Dos until the late '90s

Reply 53 of 192, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-04-22, 16:52:

All MS Dos 4 had was the gui file manager thingy loading up first. As did MS Dos 5. This was optional. So I'm confused with the MS Dos 4/Topview comparison. MS Dos 4 failed because it had a few major problems which are well documented. One reason I went to DR Dos. Topveiw was just a gui tool on top of Dos.

Different MS-DOS 4. There was an MS-DOS4 released to European OEMs in '86 that allowed for multitasking. The commonly known, IBM developed MSDOS 4.0 came out in late '88.
IBM Topview is not merely a GUI - it's actually an entire multitasking environment on top of PC-DOS.

Here's a history:
IBM Topview
https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/333001

MSDOS 4.0 (the multitasking version)
http://www.os2museum.com/wp/multitasking-ms-dos-4-0-lives/

Here's some working demos:
IBM Topview:
https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/ext/i … m/topview/1.10/

MSDOS 4.0 (the multitasking version):
https://www.pcjs.org/software/pcx86/sys/dos/microsoft/4.0M/

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2021-04-22, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 54 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am quite aware of the multi tasking MS Dos 4. It was never adopted by the major industry playersdso it was really wasn 'tin the game anyway and rarerly discussed on forums like these. There were other multi tasking Dos variant such as Concurent Dos, MSIs Real/32, Paragons PTS Dos 32, etc etc.

I used DrDos matched with GeoWorks Pro 1.3 back in thge early '90s.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-04-23, 09:24. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 55 of 192, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS is NOT dead.
We use to do some amazing things with Pentium and DOS based computers.
Everything you can do today with Apple, Linux, and UNIX computers you could have done back in 1990’s
With a Pentium computer.

1) Workstations
2) Servers
3) Clusters
4) Database
5) Webservers
6) Nation Wide networks
7) Global Networks
8) Corporate wide networks

You could have done all of this with a Pentium 100 CPU and 256mb of memory.

Modern computers just do it faster but they distribute the same information.

There are only so many people in the world and they can all be listed into a DOS based Network and Database.

There was a time When Novell and Microsoft DOS based computers ran the world.

Last I saw much of America still used Novell netware and WinXP

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-04-26, 03:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 56 of 192, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ragefury32 wrote on 2021-04-22, 15:51:
No, I think it would, as unlikely as it was to be a success in the first place. If MSDOS 4.0/Topview was a success, then DOS w […]
Show full quote
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-04-22, 07:17:

No, I think it would, as unlikely as it was to be a success in the first place.
If MSDOS 4.0/Topview was a success, then DOS would have had an even uglier evolution than it had now - instead of 386 enhanced mode support/extensions for DOS (himem, emm386, DOS4GW and the like) it'll probably had to use all sort of uglier 286 based segmented mode hacks (which is what DOS4/Topview used under the hood) to let it punch above 640k, supporting all the apps that made it a success. Then who knows - maybe the 10 extra years DOS got out of shoehorning various 386 modes to support more RAM might never have happened. The devs would've pushed faster onto OS/2 just for 386 mode support, and DOS might've ended its evolution there. It would, of course, depend on IBM acting very differently than it historically did.

OS/2 was killed by better interoperability for 386 arch on DOS5+/Windows, better driver support for all the clone hardware on Windows and new PC bundling on clones (I don't think IBM sold OS/2 on new machines unless it's one of their PS/2 boxes), and also by IBM's PS/2 favoritism. If OS2 uptake was stronger based on the adoption of DOS4, though - It might've also lead to Microsoft not creating Windows NT as an OS/2 competitor as we know it (they'll play ball with IBM OS/2 and become an OS/2 software maker), or perhaps NT would be developed to work with Microsoft apps but end up where Warp 4 did - architecturally decent, but niche and eventually abandoned.

Agreed. And the evolution might have been even uglier than the shoehorning of Win9x. (Which, let's be honest, isn't too beautiful under the bonnet either.)

What i don't agree is that you imply dos would have stayed like we know from our real-world timeline. I believe, in case of MS-DOS 4 success, all the 386 enhanced features and memory management and stuff like that would have arrived to MS-DOS natively. (Remember, prior to windows 3.0 (or special version of 2), it also didn't support any 386 enhanced features. But starting from 3.0, some were implemented.) And for better or worse (probably worse), we would have had longer time on consumer level running on top of MS-DOS and some gui achieving something like Win9x did.

It's a path of history that never happened, but it would have been somewhat interesting. (Like some other historic possibilities - imagine Xenix becoming popular and today we would all run on unix-like op. systems?) Yet, i do agree with you, that world (MS-DOS 4.0 success) probably would have been worse than better...

Reply 57 of 192, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-04-22, 18:27:

I am quite aware of the multi tasking MS Dos 4. It was never adopted by the major industry playersd so it was really in the game anyway and rearaly discussed on forum s like these. There were other multi tasking Dos variant such as Concurent Dos, MSIs Real/32, Paragons PTS Dos 32, etc etc.

I used DrDos matched with GeoWorks Pro 1.3 back in thge early '90s.

Look - this was out of a discussion of whether the adoption of DOS with multitasking back during the early/mid AT era ('86) would've changed the trajectory of DOS and influenced the timeframe for the adoption of NT or NT-like operating systems - as much as it was not a "major player" it was still released by Microsoft, and it was similar to another piece of software sold by IBM - both of them (along with Digital Research or DR) were the parents of DOS on x86 commodity PC hardware as we know it, so they weren't the players...they were the dealers in the game. While it was a stepping stone and an evolutionary dead-end, it could've been a potential turning point for DOS if the OEM response back in '86 were more positive.

Out of the 3 examples you cited only Concurrent DOS (Concurrent DOS/286 - around '86) really existed around the same timeframe as DOS4 and Topview, and could be considered its tech contemporary - except it had its own CP/M derived compatibility baggage. DR did release a version later called Concurrent DOS/XM later with XMS support, and it could've bank switched its way to 8MB of RAM. XMS support was something that DOS4/Topview didn't do, which was likely why they both went nowhere after the first OS/2 . If both DOS4/Topview seen good uptake it'll would've probably evolved into something like Concurrent DOS/XM, but simpler.

Real/32 grew out of Digital Research's Concurrent DOS/386. Concurrent DOS/386 came out around 1988 and was a multiuser/multitasking DOS in the same family lineage as Concurrent DOS/XM, but it's not a single user multitasker like Win9x - it's more like a hypervisor suite. That allowed someone to buy a multi-socket Compaq SystemPro 386 server, throw Concurrent DOS/386 onto it, run serial breakout boards (or modems on dialup pools) to serve real mode DOS (in multiple v86 instances) to multiple users simultaneously off dumb terminals back in the days. It required DOS applications that did not do something crazy like use TSRs, perform special hardware tricks or require 386 protected mode facilities (DPMI wasn't a thing until 1989) - its uptake were not high mostly because it was expensive, and also partly because commodity PC hardware of the late 80s aren't quite
“enterprise grade” yet. If you had to spend the money to bring up a bunch of dumb terminals in '89, you'll probably connect it to something like an IBM mainframe, a Tandem Nonstop VLX (what NYSE ran at that time) or something like a Sun-3.

Real/32 did support DPMI, but it didn't hit the market until '94 when Novell gave up on DR DOS , and a year after the release of Novell DR DOS 7 (which grew out of the same lineage but were single user/multi-task). Those 2 were preemptive multitasking DOS variants but both came out too late to change DOS's trajectory - which was to eventually evolve into IBM OS/2 Warp (didn't happen) or Microsoft Win9x or NT.

Paragon's PTS-DOS 2000 is not the same as PhysTechSoft's PTS-DOS 32 which came out much, much later on the DOS lifecycle (past '95), and I did not remember if multitasking (preemptive or cooperative) was even a thing with them. PTS-DOS 32 is Russian only, so detailed english language tech writeups are scarce.

GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-04-23, 08:21:

Agreed. And the evolution might have been even uglier than the shoehorning of Win9x. (Which, let's be honest, isn't too beautiful under the bonnet either.)

What i don't agree is that you imply dos would have stayed like we know from our real-world timeline. I believe, in case of MS-DOS 4 success, all the 386 enhanced features and memory management and stuff like that would have arrived to MS-DOS natively. (Remember, prior to windows 3.0 (or special version of 2), it also didn't support any 386 enhanced features. But starting from 3.0, some were implemented.) And for better or worse (probably worse), we would have had longer time on consumer level running on top of MS-DOS and some gui achieving something like Win9x did.

It's a path of history that never happened, but it would have been somewhat interesting. (Like some other historic possibilities - imagine Xenix becoming popular and today we would all run on unix-like op. systems?) Yet, i do agree with you, that world (MS-DOS 4.0 success) probably would have been worse than better...

What I implied since the beginning is that the unlikely success of MS-DOS 4 back in '86 will speed up adoption to IBM's OS/2, rather than leading to something like DOS5 and eventually Win9x. 386 protected mode will still arrive later but it'll likely be a component of OS/2, and its timeline will be dictated by IBM, and not Microsoft. Maybe DOS would've died along with the 286, and it'll be REXX scripts instead of batch files.

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2021-04-24, 08:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 58 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is very little info on MS Multi User Dos 4. Even in the late 90s-2000s info was scarce. At most there was a total of 2 pages I could find back then ab oujt it. It wasn't popular obviously. I/m guessing because of other OSs at the time and documentation is virtually non-existent.

This thread is about Dos as a whole being dead. It isn't and is used when it is preferable over other OSs in various use cases.

Reply 59 of 192, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I actually think Cyberdyne, made this thread to troll a lot of people. And opening a can of worms. I personally do NOT think DOS is dead at all. In fact, if Cyberdyne has the guts, then he should come in to the thread and explain why he feels DOS is dead.