Common searches

Why DOS died...

Topic actions

Reply 180 of 192, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been doing some typing/programming in DOS recently. And the reason why it died became crystal clear for me - it does not have copy/paste functionality 😁

Last edited by Bondi on 2021-09-09, 10:59. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart
archive.org: PCMCIA software, manuals, drivers

Reply 181 of 192, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-09-06, 10:18:

I've been doing some typing/programming in DOS recently. And the reason why it died bacame cristal clear for me - it does not have copy/paste functionality 😁

Huh, copy paste worked fine in Turbo Pascal 3.

Don't you remember your wordstar key bindings?

Reply 182 of 192, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-06, 10:28:

I've been doing some typing/programming in DOS recently. And the reason why it died bacame cristal clear for me - it does not have copy/paste functionality 😁

Well, it works in many text editors. But what I meant is cross OS/Application copypasting.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 183 of 192, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-09-06, 10:50:

Well, it works in many text editors. But what I meant is cross OS/Application copypasting.

Yep, I figured that, but I'm just yanking your chain.

I did spend a lot of time in DOS using Turbo Pascal 3. And I spent time wordprocessing to wordstar!

Reply 184 of 192, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2021-09-06, 10:58:

Yep, I figured that, but I'm just yanking your chain.

I did spend a lot of time in DOS using Turbo Pascal 3. And I spent time wordprocessing to wordstar!

And another forgotten feeling is when your heart sinks after deleting a file that you actually needed .
PS. I know there is undelete, but my hear sank anyway.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 185 of 192, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-09-06, 11:09:

And another forgotten feeling is when your heart sinks after deleting a file that you actually needed .
PS. I know there is undelete, but my hear sank anyway.

For me, it was:
Data error reading drive A:
Abort, Retry, Ignore, Fail?

You would press R a whole heap of times, but it would only help about 1 in 20 times at best!

Reply 187 of 192, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are some TSR programs, that can do cross-program copy-paste on text-mode applications. 😀

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 188 of 192, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-09-06, 12:27:

There are some TSR programs, that can do cross-program copy-paste on text-mode applications. 😀

Turns out there are indeed! I've chosen MouseClip and xPC-Mouse to try.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 189 of 192, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dos "Works" could copy and paste between applications also. On 386s up early Windows versions were used for this as well as Desqveiw/DesqsveiwX.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 190 of 192, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's why I prefer to use a modern IDE with a cross compiler such as gcc-ia16, Open Watcom v2 or DJGPP when I do DOS programming. There's just so many conveniences and "productivity features" in modern environments these days. Hard to go back to an old-school 80-column text mode IDE. 😁

With a little bit of proper scripting you can conveniently launch your built executables in a DOSBox or QEMU instance from within your IDE. I haven't been able to use CLion's built-in debugger with it yet, though. That will still require a proper DOS debugger (inside the DOS session) that triggers on INT 3, etc. Can any of you recommend any good DOS debuggers, by the way?

Reply 191 of 192, by Bondi

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2021-09-06, 19:31:

That's why I prefer to use a modern IDE with a cross compiler such as gcc-ia16, Open Watcom v2 or DJGPP when I do DOS programming. There's just so many conveniences and "productivity features" in modern environments these days. Hard to go back to an old-school 80-column text mode IDE. 😁

With a little bit of proper scripting you can conveniently launch your built executables in a DOSBox or QEMU instance from within your IDE. I haven't been able to use CLion's built-in debugger with it yet, though. That will still require a proper DOS debugger (inside the DOS session) that triggers on INT 3, etc. Can any of you recommend any good DOS debuggers, by the way?

I've been messing with Sound Blaster hardware level programming in asm. It's not that I'm that good in asm, I just took someone's code and amended it a little, now trying to add new features. The fun is that it actually worked in DOSbox, but not on the real hardware. So I had to do my experimenting on a real machine.
I'm using AFD Pro debugger. Dunno if it's good or not, never tried any other one.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-09-07, 04:23. Edited 1 time in total.

PCMCIA Sound Cards chart

Reply 192 of 192, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bondi wrote on 2021-09-06, 19:50:

I've been messing with Sound Blaster hardware level programming in asm. It's not that I'm that good in asm, I just took someone's code and amended it a little, now trying to add new features. The fun is that it actually worked in DOSbox, but not on the real hardware. So I had to do my experimenting on a real machine.
I'm using AFD Pro debugger. Dunno if it's good or not, never tried any other one.

Funny. Additionally to DOS C programming, I've also been dabbling a bit with the arcane arts of 8086 assembly and, coincidentally, my focus has been on audio hardware programming as well. I'll look into AFD Pro. Thanks. 🙂