VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recently I've noticed an increase in amount of sold old PSUs but nearly no cases (in Sweden). It just be might be in my mind, but do you think this is because of the sleeper pc trend?

Personally I think the sleeper pc trend is kind of cool if the cases are preserved. But at the same time I find it frustrating to see people carving holes and putting windows and things in perfectly good retro cases. (I really never did understand the colored+led-in-pc-trend.)

What do you think about the sleeper pc trend?

Reply 1 of 11, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never know there was such a trend.

Could be because folk are replacing their psus for something newer.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 11, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for me 'sleeper' just means re-using the case. perfectly sensible option but I also understand the fashion of it, how it might be fun to have something understated.

I asked here for general tips and there are some cool ideas in that thread ( any tips for using old cases with new(ish) hardware? ), i think modifying the cases is fine generally too

so on the whole i like it, but more for case re-use than especially for fashion - although I'd agree that I generally don't like the look of those overlit LED everywhere cases

Reply 4 of 11, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I posted my sleeper PC in the thread Gerry linked, it was based on an IBM PS/2 model 95. I'm kind of torn on the ethics. I gutted the case about 15 years ago, I believe I sold off the components but I'm not sure anymore, maybe nobody wanted to buy the motherboard? The system worked fine and was relatively rare, so it's shame I basically destroyed it. On the other hand, especially at the time it was an undesirable system, not just because retro computing wasn't as big, but also because it was a very difficult to upgrade machine and not much use past the novelty of running OS/2. I believe it took proprietary memory, I didn't have an IDE controller for it, no clean way to mount an optical drive, and sounds cards were unobtanium.

Nowadays with a Snark Barker installed it would be a viable retro gaming machine but still note of the more difficult ways to get a 66MHz 486 going.

Reply 5 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-05-19, 16:58:

I posted my sleeper PC in the thread Gerry linked, it was based on an IBM PS/2 model 95. I'm kind of torn on the ethics. I gutted the case about 15 years ago, I believe I sold off the components but I'm not sure anymore, maybe nobody wanted to buy the motherboard? The system worked fine and was relatively rare, so it's shame I basically destroyed it. On the other hand, especially at the time it was an undesirable system, not just because retro computing wasn't as big, but also because it was a very difficult to upgrade machine and not much use past the novelty of running OS/2. I believe it took proprietary memory, I didn't have an IDE controller for it, no clean way to mount an optical drive, and sounds cards were unobtanium.

Nowadays with a Snark Barker installed it would be a viable retro gaming machine but still note of the more difficult ways to get a 66MHz 486 going.

Well my dad threw away an original IBM personal computer, an Amiga 500, a socket 7 build, a slot 1 build, voodoo 1, voodoo 2 card, a SB 64 gols card.. and maybe 40 boxed games from ca 1995, quite sad.

He threw out all the computers but I think they still have bags of mouldy clothes on their attic..

Reply 6 of 11, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I was building a new PC, I might use an old case just so I can have drive bays. Or so it can be housed in something that feels as substantial as the money I spent, instead of a plastic piece of junk.

However I never had a window case. I could actually go for one of those on a retro PC.

Reply 7 of 11, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vad4r wrote on 2021-05-19, 16:44:

I think it's silly to put modern hardware that consumes much more power into an old case with no room for big fans.

I had to get a blower style Radeon HD 6850 for my 'Over Powered Windows XP Build' in an eMachine case, cause otherwise it was an easy bake oven. 🙁

Reply 8 of 11, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vad4r wrote on 2021-05-19, 16:44:

I think it's silly to put modern hardware that consumes much more power into an old case with no room for big fans.

For a gaming system with a huge GPU sure. If you just wanted to use an old metal case you liked with a modern 65W or so CPU with built in video cooling would not be an issue.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 11, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think it might be possible to build a high wattage in an old pc but it might very well be noisy because of the need for high rpm fans and lack of sound isolation.

I love my fractal design case for my modern gaming rig. I would get an other for a retro rig but nowadays they have no external drive bays..

Reply 10 of 11, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never intended for my main PC to be a sleeper, but why buy a new mATX case for a 65W AMD Ryzen APU based computer. And the PSU is good quality, but "only" 350W.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 11 of 11, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing cases don't make it to sites like ebay due to shipping, Much easier to part out and find boxes for smaller bits of hardware.
I see cases or complete PC's on local classifieds fairly often, just about always post beige era though.

As for sleeper builds as a whole. I think its a shame modding AT cases as they are in short supply as it is for actual AT systems, But I get the appeal and its still better then simply been thrown out which I suspect would have been their alternate fate.
ATX cases, I'm more ok with but I also go the other way and unless the original case is part of the deal, I'll get a modern cases with their better cooling for a build.