VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I clicked buy again on an auction. Just look at all this crap, it was ca 40$, half the asking price of the voodoo card by itself, so it seemed kind of scetchy... Had no idea if anything worked.. I kind of regretted the purchase for a while to be honest.

419699777_bdb8738c-e0b0-4aa8-98ae-3a65db1ab650.jpg
Filename
419699777_bdb8738c-e0b0-4aa8-98ae-3a65db1ab650.jpg
File size
288.99 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I grabbed the package and lo and behold after 15-20 minutes of cleaning I have my first Voodoo 2 in 25 years! Its a Creative 3d baster 8 MB (I persume because of the missing ram chips). It was so dirty I was not sure it would work at all, a lot of the connectors were short circuited with grime. Looks like someone celebrated with chocolate fondue or something when they exchanged it for a stupid ATI card or something in the early 2000s! 😀

Just look at those rams on the back side.. Jeez.

IMG_20210602_144613.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210602_144613.jpg
File size
1.53 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have not tested anything else, just saw that one of the diskettes said something like "neked piktures" which was kind of funny. I probably had something similar back then. >.< The spring was broken on that one too so it was probably used a lot 🤣 and damaged. 😉

Reply 1 of 10, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the S3 virge/gx2 was quite visible in the first photo. It wasn't very dirty just brushed it off.
The mystery card was actually much more interesting than I first thought. It's a GeForce 6200tc se at 64 mb. I don't know much about it but I was actually looking for a card to put in my
slim delll desktop computer with agp slot. It's under repair though so I can't test the card yet but without looking it up it should fit in a Pentium 4 motherboard with regard to agp version.

IMG_20210602_185146.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210602_185146.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The rest is mostly junk, but I looked through the floppys and so on. I don't have a zip drive (yet). Kind of interesting with Compaq quick restore for pressario 7000ea etc, (given that they are laptops) I might upload them somewhere if I don't find them online. Oh and I now have a legal copy of Nero cd burner software which might actually be useful. The rest was mostly educational software and drivers for monitors, printers, modems and a zip drive. Oh and some early version of a "eurocrypt emulator". I have no idea what it is... Maybe encryption software?

IMG_20210602_193717.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210602_193717.jpg
File size
1.42 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

I have no need for the manuals and I'm willing to give them away if someone pays for the postage and sene me a picture proving they have the motherboard. 😀

Reply 2 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think eurocrypt was for smartcard satellite card decoding, i.e. pirating satellite TV without paying.

edit: and yay, a fast Virge, it was almost as fast as a slow SiS 😉

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 10, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mm so after some testing I've found out the voodoo 2 card is not functioning. It's recognized by windows and installs but crashes when I boot up a game. After some careful investigation I noticed that two of those small ceramic surface mounted capacitors are broken off.. I don't have the skills to replace them..

Reply 6 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awww, sucks... if they're near the edge of the board you could have a go with just placing them and applying a butane lighter.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 7 of 10, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of them is close to one of the empty ram sockets (at the edge) the bigger one is in the middle of the board... both are on the back side.

I found a loose cap on my working table.. Figured I was too rough when cleaning it but when I look at the pictures I took before cleaning I see it was already missing.

Reply 8 of 10, by fgenesis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keep the card for when you get a chance to fix it. Soldering SMD/ceramic caps is not hard, best ask around in your local hackerspace or something 😁

EDIT: And if it's just voltage stabilizing ones the capacity shouldn't matter much, if you don't know the original capacity but put a larger one it won't be a problem.

Reply 10 of 10, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-06-03, 20:05:

box of stuff type purchases can contain treasure or junk, often a mix of both, yours looks like it was worth it though!

Yeah it is kind of buying one of those Kinder eggs (but I heard they are forbidden in the US).

fgenesis wrote on 2021-06-03, 19:32:

Keep the card for when you get a chance to fix it. Soldering SMD/ceramic caps is not hard, best ask around in your local hackerspace or something 😁

EDIT: And if it's just voltage stabilizing ones the capacity shouldn't matter much, if you don't know the original capacity but put a larger one it won't be a problem.

I searched around for tips on how to solder these but have not found anything useful, not really knowing what to search for. I would guess you use low temperature as the actual capacitor is so close to the joint..?