Common searches

Worst tips from tech support

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 47, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah.. I used to try to do a bunch of extra stuff at work and it ended up getting me absolutely nothing.

Sure, the people I was supporting there were always happy that I was the one supporting them, but it never made one difference in regards to raises or promotions.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 41 of 47, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I also was thinking that being at work even very late might be useful to someone but after many years you begin to understand that "personal life begins when you go out of the work place". Too many people I knew imho didn't have or even wanted a life outside their job. Their job became their life and meanwhile decades of our life flies like seconds..

Reply 42 of 47, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shagittarius wrote on 2021-06-09, 16:25:

Many companies efforts to become "Agile" are really just an excuse to wrestle development control away from devs and into the hands of Sales and Marketing. Often times this results in the opposite intent of agile, which was simply created to remove barriers and time syncs from individuals and teams attempting to get their jobs done most efficiently. But in the business world managers grab on to what they think will help them do what they want with a process or product and the actual intent of a dev process gets lost, as it has with the idea of "Agile".

Usually what Sales and Marketing wants to do is take customer requests and implement them ASAP thinking mistakenly that customers actually know what they want. They don't, what you need is designers and dev team who can read between the customer request lines and figure out the actual product to create. Companies that go the route of catering directly to customers will not last.

This is soooo true. Agility has become a thing only for superiors, for the teams and devs it was supposed to help it means chaos and contradicting requirements.

Reply 43 of 47, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

statistics seem to be number 1 priority now , how many tickets were created/closed, milestones met on a project or units sold as that's what Management looks at. The quality of the work seems to be second.

Truly terrible company I worked for actively encouraged project to be rushed to completion. Those missed steps then generated more support tickets and quick fixes were preferred. If the issue happened again then hey, that's another ticket logged!
One report showed a system upgrade was done in record time.
Another showed look how much you use us and how quickly we fix things. You cant afford to not have us around.

Luckily where I work now isn't so focused on chasing stats but it's definitely in the top 3 of priorities, Thing is a lot of customers demand it as well as they want proof of value for money.
The results no longer speak for themselves, you need a graph to tell you what's happing, Doesn't matter if it truly reflects reality or not .

Reply 44 of 47, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-10, 10:13:

statistics seem to be number 1 priority now , how many tickets were created/closed, milestones met on a project or units sold as that's what Management looks at. The quality of the work seems to be second.

Very much this. I work with a guy who was a technician at an ISP and that's all what the company cared about. And that's the boots on the ground line of work where you physically go out to fix the issue. Tech support must be even worse. Luckily this co-worker could direct me to his former co-workers to get around tech support and fix my issues with people who actually know how their stuff works.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 45 of 47, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Three years ago we had a severe wind storm and the splice case our phone/DSL drop comes out of popped open. So I called Verizon to tell them and after going through first level support which had no idea what I was talking about I got escalated to the next level support and instead of opening a ticket and scheduling a truck roll the woman "gives" me permission to climb the pole in my front yard and close the splice case myself and she assured me that I wouldn't get in trouble. So instead I just drove over to our central office and told one of the line men what happened and he busted out laughing and he followed me home in his truck and closed the enclosure and did some clean up work on my line that really improved our connection and allowed us to get a speed upgrade which he pushed through for us.

Reply 46 of 47, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-10, 13:05:

Three years ago we had a severe wind storm and the splice case our phone/DSL drop comes out of popped open. So I called Verizon to tell them and after going through first level support which had no idea what I was talking about I got escalated to the next level support and instead of opening a ticket and scheduling a truck roll the woman "gives" me permission to climb the pole in my front yard and close the splice case myself and she assured me that I wouldn't get in trouble. So instead I just drove over to our central office and told one of the line men what happened and he busted out laughing and he followed me home in his truck and closed the enclosure and did some clean up work on my line that really improved our connection and allowed us to get a speed upgrade which he pushed through for us.

What the hell! Climb a post and fix it yourself??! 😂