VOGONS

Common searches

32-Bit is dead

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 120 of 134, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-17, 17:30:
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-17, 17:16:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-17, 17:03:

You throw a lot of words at it, but no matter how you look at it, it's bollocks.

Okay, let it put me this way..

More words. All this proves is that 32 bit is alive and jo22 has died and been replaced by an unimaginative AI.

Caluser2000, is that you? 😉

Edit: Here's one article that's better and more correctly explaining the matter than unimaginative me.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86_memory_se … ation#Real_mode

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 121 of 134, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-17, 17:32:

Clearly you need to upgrade your memory.

Edit: Here's one article that's better and more correctly explaining the matter than unimaginative me.

Nope. you still missed it, but at least you're getting wiser. Though that just might be at the detriment of all mankind. Remember what happened when skynet reached sentience. 🤣

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 122 of 134, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000, is that you? 😉 […]
Show full quote
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-17, 17:16:

Okay, let it put me this way..

More words. All this proves is that 32 bit is alive and jo22 has died and been replaced by an unimaginative AI.

I don't think so. That or another me has joined vogons. I was counting sheep when that was posted. And I have a witness.....

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 123 of 134, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-17, 18:34:
Caluser2000, is that you? 😉 […]
Show full quote

I don't think so. That or another me has joined vogons. I was counting sheep when that was posted. And I have a witness.....

Don't worry about it. It's just jo22's ai adapting to new input. If we feed it some more it will become unstoppable and explode ! 🤣

Do not ask Why !

Reply 124 of 134, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-17, 18:39:

Don't worry about it. It's just jo22's ai adapting to new input. If we feed it some more it will become unstoppable and explode ! 🤣

I never have. I wonder what reference material it uses to make so many posts with incorrect statements in them?

I get that we all do on rare occasions.

Reply 125 of 134, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-17, 18:49:

I never have. I wonder what reference material it uses to make so many posts with incorrect statements in them?

It has the powah of the internet as its source! It will eventually become invincible !

Do not ask Why !

Reply 126 of 134, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-17, 18:54:

It has the powah of the internet as its source! It will eventually become invincible !

Oh ok. We may be able to hold it off a bit using the sarcasm mitigation module loaded in the Linux kernel on startup. Unfortunately there isn't one available for Win 10 users 😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-09-18, 00:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 127 of 134, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-17, 19:01:
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-17, 18:54:

Oh ok. We may be able to hold it off a bit using the sarcasm mitigation model loaded in the Linux kernel on startup. Unfortunately there isn't one available for Win 10 users 😉

M$ will need a few more datacenters, running on green energy to implement it. Most of which are either being constructed or in the planning stages and subject to political scrutiny, so it will take a while before it arrives, if ever, in w11 🤣

Do not ask Why !

Reply 128 of 134, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

On a site note, MenuetOS wisely dropped 32-Bit support many, many years ago.
It's now entirely made of x86-64 assembly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MenuetOS

And it added supported for multiple cores, too.
The 32-Bit Kolibri OS doesn't support that, for example.
"The GPLv2-licensed KolibriOS is a pure 32-bit operating system. Support is limited to single-core CPUs, but the system also runs on multicore processors."

IMHO multiple processors or cores are required for smooth multitasking.

They prevent computer OSes like Windows/Linux or their applications from completely taking over CPU resources (100% usage).

Of course, in theory, smooth multi-tasking works with a single processor, as well.
The Amiga OS, OS/2 Warp 4 or DESQView are fine candidates here.
Unfortunately, many recent OSes are poorly written in this regards. 🙁
Windows and Linux, especially, are CPU hogs.
They aren't qualifying as Real-Time OSes, even.

Edit: @Caluser2000/weedeewee I would be glad if you were more polite/respectful.
Constructive criticism is fine and even welcome, but I don't appreciate your current attitude.
How about providing sources for your claims or explaining why someting is "bullocks"?
That would be very welcome. ❤️

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 129 of 134, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-18, 09:32:
On a site note, MenuetOS wisely dropped 32-Bit support many, many years ago. It's now entirely made of x86-64 assembly. […]
Show full quote

"The GPLv2-licensed KolibriOS is a pure 32-bit operating system. Support is limited to single-core CPUs, but the system also runs on multicore processors."

They prevent computer OSes like Windows/Linux or their applications from completely taking over CPU resources (100% usage).

Of course, in theory, smooth multi-tasking works with a single processor, as well.

Edit: @Caluser2000/weedeewee I would be glad if you were more polite/respectful.
Constructive criticism is fine and even welcome, but I don't appreciate your current attitude.
How about providing sources for your claims or explaining why someting is "bullocks"?

If you post bullocks I'll call you out just like in a lot of other posts you and a few others have made on vogons with incorrect or damn right false info....😉

Like your generic clamn you just made about linux. You can grab the source code and incorporate only those modulse needed to have you system function correctly and reliably.

I'll let others comment on your MS Windows quip.....

Reply 130 of 134, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-18, 10:02:
On a site note, MenuetOS wisely dropped 32-Bit support many, many years ago. It's now entirely made of x86-64 assembly. […]
Show full quote

If you post bullocks I'll call you out just like in a lot of other posts you and a few others have made on vogons with incorrect or damn right false info....😉

🙄 *facepalm*

In my opinion, you should be temporarily banned for such unfounded claims,
until your behavings become civil again.
But that's just my personal opinion.

Also, you never, ever provided sources for your claim for what you say is wrong with my or other claims.

That being said, you're bad looser, IMHO.
If people point out that you made a mistake, you never apologize, from what I do remember.

Again, you can say what you want, as long as you're not disrespectful to others.
See forum rules for details.

//My video channel//

Reply 131 of 134, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-18, 10:15:
🙄 *facepalm* […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-18, 10:02:
Show full quote

🙄 *facepalm*

In my opinion, you should be temporarily banned for such unfounded claims,
until your behavings become civil again.
But that's just my personal opinion.

Also, you never, ever provided sources for your claim for what you say is wrong with my or other claims.

That being said, you're bad looser, IMHO.
If people point out that you made a mistake, you never apologize, from what I do remember.

Again, you can say what you want, as long as you're not disrespectful to others.
See forum rules for details.

You can think what you like but I'm not loosing anything at all. That all in your rather creative imagination.

Reply 132 of 134, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
weedeewee wrote on 2021-09-17, 15:17:
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-17, 14:39:

Unfortunately, even if done so, Win98SE can't actually fully make use of ExFAT (and DVDs, too) because some system files cannot address more than 4GB (32-Bit).
Heck, it can't even handle individual files larger than 4GB, either. 🙁

🤦‍♂️
That is total bollocks. That's like saying an 8 bit computer can only handle files that are 256bytes max.

Well, I was wrong here with what I quoted from jo22. Misread, misinterpreted.

On the other hand, jo22 trying to prove that filesize limits are somehow a hardware limit is just plain wrong. 😁

Do not ask Why !

Reply 133 of 134, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Highly unlikely a 4GB file would be loaded in it's entriety. It would be streamed and buffered.

If that was the case, the file size limit would be the size of RAM of the computer, which is not the case. Also given Win9x is bugged with more than 512MB without patching, and even then 2GB is the absolute max Win9x was designed to use at all! this would mean no DVD could ever be played in software on Win9x... which most certainly is not the case.

Reply 134 of 134, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this thread has come to its end after the last couple of posts which have had little to no value, so closing it.

If you're of another opinion, please send me a PM.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes