VOGONS

Common searches

Moderator violating Community Standards

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 20 of 84, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope they ban you just because you're so annoying. Moderators can run a forum however they see fit. You should have made a single thread for your project and just only posted about it there. I would have banned you a long time ago, especially given the fact that you promote your project even in threads where people ask for advice on real hardware.

Reply 21 of 84, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:55:
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:47:

"... QEMU with virtualization offers the performance that PCem can only dream of ..."
Anything wrong with the quote above or such also constitute belittling everything that PCem has done?

I prefer comparisons to be in scientific form. Benchmarks, graphs, accompanied by details of testing systems, software versions, repeatable processes.

Sure, I fully agree with you. The moderator could have said so and I would be more than willing to do so, if he even allowed it. Instead, the thread got locked out.

Reply 22 of 84, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since you mentioned PCem, then I will say that PCem is always a joke, even for this over 20 years old game. You could probably try software rendering, but when 3D acceleration comes into picture, PCem's branded "freaking fast" fake 3Dfx voodoo software recompiler is an utter trash. I don't have to try it, someone from OCAU "Retro Let's Play" tried it and it was just as I described. If one ever play Win9x Direct3D games with PCem because of the fake "voodoo", then one may also just enable Microsoft reference RGB Direct3D renderer and play with that. The thread may get deleted without notice because truth were not supposed to be told for anything PCem related... 🤣. When someone once said ".... it will be OK on M1 ...." I just LMAO 😁

Here it is, evidence of the OP being a jerk (search took around one minute).
Sorry man, but you are in serious need of improving your communication skills.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 23 of 84, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Oetker wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:57:

I hope they ban you just because you're so annoying. Moderators can run a forum however they see fit. You should have made a single thread for your project and just only posted about it there. I would have banned you a long time ago, especially given the fact that you promote your project even in threads where people ask for advice on real hardware.

Sure it is their choice.
If you also quote my annoying posts, then I gladly accept them. You are right I came to realize that suggesting emulation wasn't everyone choice, I gladly accept it.
Well for several occasions, I just felt the OP just want to play games, so if emulation would be simpler & hassle-free, why not make a suggestion. I have since been more careful about it. It is perfectly fine that OP could just simply respond "I hate emulation". I do not harass anyone with constant nagging of how great emulation can be in the Marvin section.

Reply 24 of 84, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2021-06-15, 10:42:

Aren't you the guy that has been going around every other thread belittling the efforts of PCEm authors and instead promoting your own QEmu-3Dfx thing?
The same guy that's been warned many times about said behavior and has never once apologized or complied to these warnings? If anything, I'd say the mods here have been rather lax in your case.

This. This guy shits on PCem for no good reason. It's so annoying.

Reply 25 of 84, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-06-15, 12:18:

Since you mentioned PCem, then I will say that PCem is always a joke, even for this over 20 years old game. You could probably try software rendering, but when 3D acceleration comes into picture, PCem's branded "freaking fast" fake 3Dfx voodoo software recompiler is an utter trash. I don't have to try it, someone from OCAU "Retro Let's Play" tried it and it was just as I described. If one ever play Win9x Direct3D games with PCem because of the fake "voodoo", then one may also just enable Microsoft reference RGB Direct3D renderer and play with that. The thread may get deleted without notice because truth were not supposed to be told for anything PCem related... 🤣. When someone once said ".... it will be OK on M1 ...." I just LMAO 😁

Here it is, evidence of the OP being a jerk (search took around one minute).
Sorry man, but you are in serious need of improving your communication skills.

Alright, I will just say please show how great PCem run on M1 or help the project in achieving this goal.

Well, I remember at one time, someone suggested DOSBox-X for Win98 games and I said "Without dynamic core, you must be kidding, just stick to DOSBox SVN". The DOSBox-X now has dynamic core working. Wasn't this too sensitive about general comments? Sure, it didn't sound nice, but do we always have to hypnotize ourselves with nice words and comments?

Reply 26 of 84, by Bladeforce

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Since you mentioned PCem, then I will say that PCem is always a joke, even for this over 20 years old game. You could probably try software rendering, but when 3D acceleration comes into picture, PCem's branded "freaking fast" fake 3Dfx voodoo software recompiler is an utter trash. I don't have to try it, someone from OCAU "Retro Let's Play" tried it and it was just as I described. If one ever play Win9x Direct3D games with PCem because of the fake "voodoo", then one may also just enable Microsoft reference RGB Direct3D renderer and play with that. The thread may get deleted without notice because truth were not supposed to be told for anything PCem related... 🤣. When someone once said ".... it will be OK on M1 ...." I just LMAO"

If i communicated like this face to face with someone id expect to still be 6 years old. Belittling someones work shows more about the person saying it than the person making the software in their own time. Absolutely ZERO class.
Also publicly doing it this way on a forum just shows how immature your mind set is. What is your endgame? To get a group together and fight the system like children? Grow up

Reply 27 of 84, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kjliew wrote on 2021-06-15, 12:52:

Alright, I will just say please show how great PCem run on M1 or help the project in achieving this goal.

Well, I remember at one time, someone suggested DOSBox-X for Win98 games and I said "Without dynamic core, you must be kidding, just stick to DOSBox SVN". The DOSBox-X now has dynamic core working. Wasn't this too sensitive about general comments? Sure, it didn't sound nice, but do we always have to hypnotize ourselves with nice words and comments?

You know, there is a middle ground between being awfully nice and being a jerk. Your negative feedback towards PCEm could be given in so many better ways if you wanted to.
Plus, what is the point of me showing proof that PCEm runs great on M1? PCEm can be slow AND you can have horrible communication skills, one thing has no relation to the other.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 28 of 84, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmojo wrote on 2021-06-15, 08:28:

Gosh this is like a courtroom drama, may I approach the bench?

I know this is just hearsay and will be stricken from the record but I've never had a problem with the mods here.

They are sometimes heavy handed with BS posts, reactions, memes, humor

Although minorly irritating on occasion it’s their ship and they can sail where they want.

This reminds me of vcfed when I asked for a driver one very senior and respected member believed didn’t exist and thought was stupid to even ask about, I just went on with my day and another member understood what I was asking for and gave me a link.

I’ve never noted mods here using personal attacks (like vcfed)
nor do I have any issue with them
but then again I likely don’t follow closely enough between the BS detection, the inevitable knock it off comment, then deletion.

Which might be upsetting to those affected
Sort of like the wanna buy sell comments that disappear everyday.

Ah well, reality TV at its best.

Reply 30 of 84, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just want to add here that we are aware of this thread and it's being discussed in the mod section.

Discussion in here haven't gone total overboard yet, so I won't close it, but that might change quickly.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 32 of 84, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-06-15, 13:57:
They are sometimes heavy handed with BS posts, reactions, memes, humor […]
Show full quote
badmojo wrote on 2021-06-15, 08:28:

Gosh this is like a courtroom drama, may I approach the bench?

I know this is just hearsay and will be stricken from the record but I've never had a problem with the mods here.

They are sometimes heavy handed with BS posts, reactions, memes, humor

Although minorly irritating on occasion it’s their ship and they can sail where they want.

This reminds me of vcfed when I asked for a driver one very senior and respected member believed didn’t exist and thought was stupid to even ask about, I just went on with my day and another member understood what I was asking for and gave me a link.

I’ve never noted mods here using personal attacks (like vcfed)
nor do I have any issue with them
but then again I likely don’t follow closely enough between the BS detection, the inevitable knock it off comment, then deletion.

Which might be upsetting to those affected
Sort of like the wanna buy sell comments that disappear everyday.

Ah well, reality TV at its best.

I agree, the moderation here is generally fair. Unlike VCFED where it's just one guy and he does whatever he wants, and treats any questions against his arbitrary and capricious actions as a bannable offense.

Reply 34 of 84, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[..] but do we always have to hypnotize ourselves with nice words and comments?

So I'm wrong again.. Oh, well, that's okay. 😞
I thought this was about the essence of Vogons.
At least to me, this was the most appealing quality of Vogons when I joined.

Since the 2000s, it was a spot were people of same and sometimes different interests met and lent a helping hand.
It kinda made Vogons a special, unique place, I think.
And so Vogons grew, more and more sub forums came along as time went on.

And yes, some users also had/have a dark humor, which is fine, not to say perfectly fine IMHO.
And sometimes they have a bad day, sometimes they're harsh, grumpy
and totally not like the care bears.

So no, always "hypnotizing ourselves" with nice words and comments is not the way to go, of course! 😀
But we're not pus.. -err- wet blankets, just because we don't talk ghett* style all day, either.

But well, maybe a few people here secretly think that a basic amount of politeness,
mutual respect and kindness are a sign of weaknesses, a low IQ and incompetence whatsoever.
That's fine, that's their right, each to his own. 🙂

Some thoughts :

Why do these people even bother posting here if the place doesn't suit ?🤔
Aren't there other forums left that can be haunted, in which fecal language can be used for fun, on a daily basis?

Why is it needed that a place like Vogons, a green clearing in the forest, becomes the equivalent of a slum?
And if users are finally leaving due to all the isults and harassments of certain people,
then is the "mission complete"?
Does it turn these people on? Does it make them feel superior? I don't get it. 🤷‍♂️

I've been here for over ten years by now, but since a year or so, I feel like the atmosphere seems to slowly shift. The tone changes.
Is it because of Corona, maybe? Do these people think "Oh, I'm soooo bored staying at home! I know, let's go browse Vogons and provoke some users and see how far I can go"?
Seriously, I don't know what's going on here since recently. 😔
I just hope things will go back to normal again.

PS: Please let's keep in mind that the sound makes the music
("it’s all about the sound!").

In communications, no matter if animal or human communication,
how something is said is sometimes of higher importance than what is actually said.
The melody transports more, subtle, information sometimes than the spoken words alone.

Understanding this is one of the most fundamental social skills.

People with dementia may not understand certain conversations anymore, for example,
but music will still reach them.

I know that, because a family member had dementia, too.
If you've went all through of that, I can assure you,
your view for the value of empathy/kindness will be changing for life.

PS: I know that I will regret posting this (bad gut feeling),
maybe it's also the final straw, not sure.
And no, it's also no drama for me.
I'm neither upset/offended by what the OP said, nor do I mean to judge.
But keeping quite in such a case would be gutless and out-of-character for me. I'm sorry. 😔

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 35 of 84, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Oetker wrote on 2021-06-15, 11:57:

We have chap who does that pushing VMs in hardware related threads.. There were two at one point.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 36 of 84, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It appears PCem is going to be killed and buried http://pcem-emulator.co.uk/index.html

May it RIP.

Reply 37 of 84, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:11:

don't regret that, it was worth reading

this thread started out puzzling to me and now affirms the value of being reasonably polite about things and also what a good forum this is!

some people aren't polite because they want to provoke, some because they are socially inept without empathy

some also think of themselves as breaking through the weak social veneer to reveal the truth, they imagine themselves warriors of truth amid the feeble conformist masses! of course such self perception is laughably false, they're just rude and are not adding much at all

but as much as the provokers, the inept and the delusional 'truth warriors' may irritate they are also people with their reasons and may sometimes have something useful to say, just a shame if it isn't communicated more clearly and accessibly as it can then form a constructive conversation

anyway, the rest of the forum awaits: there are socket 7 mysteries to solve, agp card benchmarks to consider, motherboards to identify and perfect XP systems to design! 😀

Reply 38 of 84, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:43:
don't regret that, it was worth reading […]
Show full quote

this thread started out puzzling to me and now affirms the value of being reasonably polite about things and also what a good forum this is!

some people aren't polite because they want to provoke, some because they are socially inept without empathy

some also think of themselves as breaking through the weak social veneer to reveal the truth, they imagine themselves warriors of truth amid the feeble conformist masses! of course such self perception is laughably false, they're just rude and are not adding much at all

but as much as the provokers, the inept and the delusional 'truth warriors' may irritate they are also people with their reasons and may sometimes have something useful to say, just a shame if it isn't communicated more clearly and accessibly as it can then form a constructive conversation

anyway, the rest of the forum awaits: there are socket 7 mysteries to solve, agp card benchmarks to consider, motherboards to identify and perfect XP systems to design! 😀

You know, I wonder if there is some collisions between worlds here. I don't think it's uncommon to use some strong language with hardware/software that's not working out well for you, and frustrating the crap out of you. It's just uncommon to say it in front of the person who made it. And yet here, there is a pretty solid mix of users and creators of hardware/software projects.

Then you get into the egos of certain developers. I've been a developer for almost 20 years. I try to stay humble, and not get too wrapped up in thinking the way I've done things is the absolute best way to do it. But it's a constant struggle. You sink sometimes years of your life into certain projects. Enormous portions of your mental capacity is spent keeping the code alive in your brain. You build a massive castle made of sand with nothing but your brain. And then the users come along like the tide, pointing out bugs, use cases you never thought of, functionality that's non performant to the point of being useless, etc. And your ego wants to viciously defend what you've built from them with every ounce of your being.

If you are on the clock, your boss will tell you to STFU and do it if you want your job. And there is a certain understanding that you are being paid for your time, not your passion. So if you are told to redo it, you redo it, so long as the check cashes. But when it's your side hustle... well... it's a lot easier to let yourself go off the rails.

Reply 39 of 84, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerry wrote on 2021-06-15, 15:43:
don't regret that, it was worth reading […]
Show full quote

I think that was the most pompous post I've ever seen on vogons 🤣.

If someone posts false info like, say 8088s 8-bit cpus for example, they need to be corrected. And can like a lot of post for some folh to get in the grey matter.

If it is not correct newer folk will believe that rubbish.