VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 316, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

as for the way it looks, I don't really have much to say about it, it looks... OK, whatever, similar to 10
they still give you the option to align the icons to the left,

the start menu is something I haven't really used much in a very long time outside of typing something using the search

Reply 22 of 316, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seeing exactly zero changes/additions that would make a meaningful difference when using the OS on an actual PC. Not very surprising, since that hasn't been anywhere near their list of priorities for over a decade.

Why, it looks like they barely even bothered to make it substantially *worse* on PCs this time around! Evidently, they care so little that that they won't go out of their way to alienate us anymore... guess we'll have to make do with a random smattering of tiny annoyances. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 23 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A bit dejavoiuist really. Whistler anyone?

Being just a mere novest on OSs it looks nothing like MAC OS 10.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 24 of 316, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lol. When Windows 10 came out in 2015, they made a big deal about how it was going to be the "last" version of Windows, that they were just going to keep updating it ad infinitum, that there would definitely not be a Windows 11, etc.

I called BS back then and said of course they will make a Windows 11. They won't be able to help themselves.

Well here we are... it will just be a slightly tweaked NT-based OS again with a new skin and more bloatware, as usual.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 26 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-06-16, 20:45:

Lol. When Windows 10 came out in 2015, they made a big deal about how it was going to be the "last" version of Windows, that they were just going to keep updating it ad infinitum, that there would definitely not be a Windows 11, etc.

I called BS back then and said of course they will make a Windows 11. They won't be able to help themselves.

Well here we are... it will just be a slightly tweaked NT-based OS again with a new skin and more bloatware, as usual.

Shivers THAT long ago! What happened to those six years? They were right. Once ya hit 50 time does fly....

It is certainly is consitent with previous MickySoft Windows releases though.

Reply 27 of 316, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just awful rubbish. Rounded edges are for kids, cheapens it and makes it look like a damn toy.

Not one thing is impressive or would convince me to upgrade from Win 7 or a stripped down Win 10. Resources and memory consumption have probably increased by two or three times for nothing gained.

Reply 28 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-06-16, 20:45:

Exactly. Same stuff under the hood, a new skin to make newbies think they're using a a brand new, revolutionary OS.

I can't stand the automatic updates, the telemetry/data collection and the start menu design. It was much better when it was Windows 2000 Professional, Win2k was a step into the right direction, but then after XP it went downhill. I have never seen so many different Start Menu designs, yet the classic one is what captivates me and works for me. Got fed up around Windows 7 and moved to Apple, never looked back again.

Microsoft just cannot reinvent themselves to bring a revolutionary Windows. WSL is nice, but it's just a botched attempt at supporting Linux on Windows. You know what would be really revolutionary? A Windows version running with Linux kernel. But Microsoft will never make a such bold, courageous move. I can see so many benefits for Microsoft if they had courage to do it. Can you imagine Adobe doing a linux-based version of Adobe Photoshop to run on this new Windows (and therefore being able to run on Linux) ? Or a lot of Linux apps running on Windows? Cross-architecture?

Meanwhile, Windows 10X was their "Project Copland". EPIC FAIL, and they had to take the "best parts" to make what will be the Windows 11. OK, deja vu...

Not to mention that while we're at Windows 10, there is still a lot of legacy stuff buried, hidden inside Windows 10. I doubt that they will vanish with Windows 11.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 29 of 316, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I'm on Linux 5.12.x and nothing's hopelessly broken other than Wine's threading deadlocking itself senselessly and VIRT exhausting itself really early (and really, really fast) even some of the oldest Linux ports still function if you LD_PRELOAD older libraries.

Honestly, I'm glad I jumped ship from Windows 7 before the whole "Get Windows 10 Free" thing hit everyones machines...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 30 of 316, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At best I'm curious how it will be. Windows 10 made me completely leave Windows except form retro machines and I'm not missing it. Currently I don't have anything with more recent Windows than Vista and I don't expect this to change. MS should do a complete 180 on their business model for that and that's unlikely.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 32 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kolderman wrote on 2021-06-17, 06:45:

Apparently it has rounded corners. Sounds like it needs a new major version number.

Exciting aaah?

Reply 34 of 316, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2021-06-16, 11:16:

It may be a stupid question, but what happens when you're set to sign in using your MS account and at some point the pc is offline? You are still able to sign in using the last known password, right?

Yes, or the PIN code that you sort-of-have-to set up which is linked to the PC not the MS account.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 35 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2021-06-17, 07:06:

That's a tablet UI. Another attempt in merging both worlds?

The imaginary world and the reral world is more like it 😉

Reply 36 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zyzzle wrote on 2021-06-17, 05:14:

Just awful rubbish. Rounded edges are for kids, cheapens it and makes it look like a damn toy.

So you prefer the square flat look of Win8/Win10 to the rounded look of Vista/7? Is that even possible on VOGONS? 🤣

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 38 of 316, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Windows is getting heavier day by days. In gaming sessions it automatically takes up 1gb of vram for itself and 3gb in no load. Windows XP was the last time Windows was "properly optimized". I would say even Android or Linux or iOS is better 'always connected' and 'live' device than Windows Vista and later.

Windows now requires a complete remodelling internally.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 39 of 316, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-06-17, 10:01:

Windows is getting heavier day by days. In gaming sessions it automatically takes up 1gb of vram for itself and 3gb in no load. Windows XP was the last time Windows was "properly optimized". I would say even Android or Linux or iOS is better 'always connected' and 'live' device than Windows Vista and later.

Windows now requires a complete remodelling internally.

To have need that much ram just to display an image on a monitor is ridiculous.