VOGONS

Common searches

Leak of Windows 11

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 140 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keenmaster486 wrote on 2021-06-20, 06:23:

This was good. Nobody ever complained about it. It existed for many years and everyone was used to it and knew exactly how to navigate it.

I think your "everyone" does not include people who may only have started using the computer in the last 10 years, and are not "power users". I bet most of them have no clue about the old Control Panel, and they are an ever growing user base.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 141 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2021-06-20, 07:04:

This was good. Nobody ever complained about it. It existed for many years and everyone was used to it and knew exactly how to navigate it.

I think your "everyone" does not include people who may only have started using the computer in the last 10 years, and are not "power users". I bet most of them have no clue about the old Control Panel, and they are an ever growing user base.

I say leave the old control panel in place for those who actually need it and use the cut-down settings app for the normal users as they are the people who would tend to royally screw stuff up if they went mucking around in the Control Panel.

Those types of users are better off not having access to those types of settings.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 143 of 316, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-20, 08:08:

I say leave the old control panel in place for those who actually need it and use the cut-down settings app for the normal users as they are the people who would tend to royally screw stuff up if they went mucking around in the Control Panel.

That's how it's been so far. If they are actually about to change it, I guess it can only mean they have decided that maintaining dual facilities is too much work...

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 146 of 316, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-20, 08:25:

Settings is confusing, takes way more clicks than the Control Panel, displays way less information for the same window size, and has to go.

When your average 80x25 text mode DOS program is better at using screen real-estate than a modern UI, that modern UI is due for some rethinking. 😉

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 147 of 316, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Settings is confusing, takes way more clicks than the Control Panel, displays way less information for the same window size, and has to go.
I want my sanity back.

Microsoft should remodel Control Panel, not replace it with Settings.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 148 of 316, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-19, 14:52:
What ? First, that's a bit rude. Secondly, it doesn't counter my point. Seriously, what kind of answer is that ? […]
Show full quote
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-19, 14:35:
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-19, 06:58:

I encountered it. What a bullshit tactic. (I'm on Windows insider preview)

Insider previews is volunteering for bullshit. It's meant for testing, not general usage.

What ?
First, that's a bit rude.
Secondly, it doesn't counter my point.
Seriously, what kind of answer is that ?

I'm not countering any point. I'm sure you got them on a Windows Insider build. You just sounded like you were surprised about it, and you shouldn't be because that's what Insider builds are, you're forced to sign in to even download them.

xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-06-19, 15:24:

Also, "It works on my system" is never an answer.

Sure it is, depending on the question. "This is a problem on all Windows 10 computers" is easily refuted by "It isn't on mine".

"It works on my system" is also a perfectly valid thing to note to figure out in what kind of systems it does not work. What I wrote wasn't meant to be an answer, but that something other than the build version was the problem.

dr_st wrote on 2021-06-19, 15:05:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-19, 14:35:

And Googling for those terms just gives me results on how to easily disable it. Getting it on a monthly basis despite attempts to disable it doesn't seem normal enough for it to be one of the top Google results. It's a bug with your setup, not normal behaviour.

Yes, but it seems the bug is not as rare as you would think, as many of those guides that say how to disable it have comments under them with multiple people complaining it did not work for them.

Eh if it was really common, there would be much more comments and/or suggested fixes.

Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-06-21, 13:36:

I want my sanity back.

Settings is their remodel of Control Panel. Their 8 year remodelling project that it looks like they're not intending to finish with Windows 11.

Reply 149 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-06-21, 22:23:

Settings is their remodel of Control Panel. Their 8 year remodelling project that it looks like they're not intending to finish with Windows 11.

I have the same opinion. They will never finish it.

It’s curious: Apple despises legacy software and screws you up with updates, planned obsolescence, while Microsoft doesn’t seem to be interested in ditching legacy software at all and screws you up with automatic updates that breaks the whole thing and modern versions of their legacy software whose intuitive usage is worse than the legacy ones.

Kinda ironic, isn’t it?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 150 of 316, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I may be wrong, but I don't think they can actually finish the job for now, if that means eliminating the Control Panel completely . AFAICR, there are legacy compatibility concerns that would prevent completely yanking out Control Panel functionality .

What I hope they might eventually succeed in doing is making the Settings app have all the functionality of the Control Panel without it having to rely on Control Panel components . And, if we are very lucky, maybe the Settings app will stop looking like a mish-mash of of ill fitting components where finding what you are looking for is practically impossible without having to rely on the search option .

Reply 151 of 316, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wallpaper looks “Girl-ish”. Like wedding wallpaper.
And some of the sounds are the same as from Win-NT 4.0 from 1995 ?….

Links:
Wallpaper:
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/16/22536375/m … fault-wallpaper

Sounds:
https://youtu.be/kbu864tJhk8

I benchmarked MS-Windows-10 on my 2012 MacBook Pro with dual core i5 and actually MS-Windows performs better on the Mac
Than OSX in the beginning but Apple has made improvement to its OS and now they benchmark about the same.

But OSX is lighter and more efficient today. MS-Windows 10 has become BLOATWARE with to many updates.

Reply 152 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-06-22, 01:38:
Wallpaper looks “Girl-ish”. Like wedding wallpaper. And some of the sounds are the same as from Win-NT 4.0 from 1995 ?…. […]
Show full quote

Links:
Wallpaper:

Sounds:

I benchmarked MS-Windows-10 on my 2012 MacBook Pro with dual core i5 and actually MS-Windows performs better on the Mac
Than OSX in the beginning but Apple has made improvement to its OS and now they benchmark about the same.

But OSX is lighter and more efficient today. MS-Windows 10 has become BLOATWARE with to many updates.

BLOATWARE with too many updates????? R U serious? Just run disk cleanup to get rid of the old not needed files.

The updates are there to fix issues. They don't just push out "updates" to add bloat. Plus they got rid of the old Edge browser. The new Chromium one is way better.
IE will also be going away at some point which will reduce "bloat" as you call it.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 153 of 316, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Discrete_BOB_058 wrote on 2021-06-21, 13:36:

I want my sanity back.

Surely not the remodel I wanted. Should have been centered more around what it is and not replace everything.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-23, 03:47. Edited 1 time in total.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 154 of 316, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-22, 02:33:
BLOATWARE with too many updates????? R U serious? Just run disk cleanup to get rid of the old not needed files. […]
Show full quote
Wallpaper looks “Girl-ish”. Like wedding wallpaper. And some of the sounds are the same as from Win-NT 4.0 from 1995 ?…. […]
Show full quote

Links:
Wallpaper:

Sounds:

BLOATWARE with too many updates????? R U serious? Just run disk cleanup to get rid of the old not needed files.

The updates are there to fix issues. They don't just push out "updates" to add bloat. Plus they got rid of the old Edge browser. The new Chromium one is way better.
IE will also be going away at some point which will reduce "bloat" as you call it.

Yes, On the Intel Mac OSX loads quickly were MS-Windows 10 takes longer to start up and performs to many update tasks at startup.
It takes Win-10 about 3 to 4 minutes to settle down to idle speed of 1% CPU utilization were OSX gets down to 1% CPU utilization in just one minute.

Reply 155 of 316, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
This was good. Nobody ever complained about it. It existed for many years and everyone was used to it and knew exactly how to na […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=112859

Before the Dark Times. Before the Empire.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 156 of 316, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-06-22, 04:22:
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-06-22, 02:33:
BLOATWARE with too many updates????? R U serious? Just run disk cleanup to get rid of the old not needed files. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Links:
Wallpaper:

Sounds:

Yes, On the Intel Mac OSX loads quickly were MS-Windows 10 takes longer to start up and performs to many update tasks at startup.
It takes Win-10 about 3 to 4 minutes to settle down to idle speed of 1% CPU utilization were OSX gets down to 1% CPU utilization in just one minute.

Hmmm... Let me restart my computer and see how long it takes to settle down.

Note: I am not using fast boot or anything like that.

Are you sure your OSX machine isn't doing some sort of fast boot, hibernation or sleep mode.

How long does it take to fully boot IF it is a real cold boot (none of the above used)?

I just did a test with my current Win10 machine and it settled down in about 1 minute and that was with a bunch of stuff auto loading. Would have been more like 30 seconds or less if I didn't have any programs auto loading on login.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 157 of 316, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
This was good. Nobody ever complained about it. It existed for many years and everyone was used to it and knew exactly how to na […]
Show full quote

file.php?id=112859

Those were the days. I would totally defend Windows 98 at that time as well as OS9. The world was a better place.

Now we have a monster with terrible UI/UX (Windows 10/11) while Apples UI/UX is still great, fast and easy to use, but under the hood is starting to look a lot more like windows with their updates. Every time I update my Mac is about half an hour to install and reboot. But hey, I can do it manually and disable the automatic updates, so I do that when I have dinner and I just keep it running and updating while I eat. Not to mention the planned obsolescence of their old Macs. Hence why I have this avatar - “Choose wisely”.

Windows 10 just chooses to do so in the worst possible moment it wants, doesn’t give a f**k if I am playing a competitive online race in a wet track and within five laps to the end in P2, nearly catching up the leader, lapping three seconds faster than him on fresh new intermediate tyres, and then DANG it just rebooted and started to auto update itself. Imagine my anger when I missed what could have been my first ever race win.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 158 of 316, by 65C02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-06-22, 04:22:

Yeah 3-4 minutes for the CPU to settle down isn't normal. It shouldn't update at every startup.

On my computer the CPU usage settles down to 0% in 30-40 seconds with fast start disabled.

Reply 159 of 316, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Bruninho wrote on 2021-06-22, 05:33:

Windows 10 just chooses to do so in the worst possible moment it wants, doesn’t give a f**k if I am playing a competitive online race in a wet track and within five laps to the end in P2, nearly catching up the leader, lapping three seconds faster than him on fresh new intermediate tyres, and then DANG it just rebooted and started to auto update itself. Imagine my anger when I missed what could have been my first ever race win.

that's why i suggest whenever you want to do something important go to windows updates and check if there is anything to install, same with antivir, browser, java etc 😉
anyway i suggest doing it everytime you start your pc as it is really no fun doing just anything when windows is updating in the background without your knowledge.
I guess they could make a popup to inform you that it is updating and you may experience some delays in your work and estimated time to finish
instead it doesn't inform you and just slows the process down so it just takes way longer to update than it normally should

Last edited by robertmo on 2021-06-22, 06:06. Edited 3 times in total.