VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

23 years after Blood II: the Chosen came out...

Roughly 18-20 years after I first learned about it and played the demo...

Maybe 10-15 years after I pirated and played the full version for the first time...

I have FINALLY gotten all the way to the end of Blood II, with no cheating, and only twice getting stuck/lost and needing to consult a walkthrough. I can now delete the demo and the ISOs from all of my hard drives and never look back. Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight is next.

Since people like posting system specs:

LGA 2011
Core i7 Sandy Bridge @ 3.6 ghz
4 GB of RAM in quad-channel
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
Dual-booting WinXP Integral Edition and Win7 Pro 64-bit
-----
XP compatibility is the hill that I will die on.

Reply 1 of 8, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thats one of the games I was crazy about when it was released, but unfortunately that was a time when PCs would change from a great gaming machine to an useless piece of crap in a couple years. Which means my meager P133 had no chance of running it.
Only some years later I was able to play it and for some reason I can’t bring myself to like it.
I try playing it from time to time but the result is always the same: Bored after some levels.
Congratulations, though! Does the game get good at some point?

Last edited by gaffa2002 on 2021-06-29, 00:27. Edited 1 time in total.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 2 of 8, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's somewhat ok with FXE4 or Darkact mods, which fixed many bugs and atrocious weapon balance. But the game itself (broken or fixed) is just forgettable, there are very few interesting set pieces.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you do it all in one session or play a few, leave it for a while and come back?
I've a few games on my want to finish list but I'll start it. Move onto a old favourite I've probably finished 100's of times then months/years later I've lost the savegame

Reply 5 of 8, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This was one of those games where I endlessly played the demo, fantasizing about how great the full version would be. Of course it was a disappointment, but it also crashed quite a lot.

Reply 6 of 8, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gaffa2002 wrote on 2021-06-28, 00:44:

Does the game get good at some point?

Let me put it this way: Unreal and Half-Life were released in the same year, and I still haven't been able to force myself to get all the way through either of those. It all boils down to the map design. Blood II's maps are just challenging enough to be interesting without being frustrating, and are just realistic enough to be relatable. Unreal's maps have a bad habit of being too random and abstract, as if they were spat out by a neural net, so Unreal gets very boring very quickly (a problem shared with Quake II). Half-Life's map design is so terrible that I couldn't get a quarter of the way through it without looking up the Noclip cheat, and by the time I had gotten halfway through it, even Noclip couldn't save me.

However, it's not as good as Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight or Blood 1, both released the previous year.

The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-06-28, 05:39:

the game itself (broken or fixed) is just forgettable, there are very few interesting set pieces.

Its memorability is not helped by the fact that it copies and pastes the whole "evil corporation accidentally opens a portal to a hell-like parallel dimension and demons start invading" plot that was used in Doom, Quake, and Half-Life...

chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-28, 10:27:

Did you do it all in one session or play a few, leave it for a while and come back?

Hahaha. Oh my sweet summer child. This was a '90s game. Back then, you could never finish a shooter in one day... you might be able to do it in one sitting, but only if you stayed awake for several days straight hopped up on Adderall.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-28, 10:54:

Hahaha. Oh my sweet summer child. This was a '90s game. Back then, you could never finish a shooter in one day... you might be able to do it in one sitting, but only if you stayed awake for several days straight hopped up on Adderall.

Oh, I didn't mean in one go! That's not something I would even punish Civvie 11 with 😉
I meant have did you play it continually over say the past month or on and off again over the past year/years

Reply 8 of 8, by WDStudios

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2021-06-28, 11:41:
WDStudios wrote on 2021-06-28, 10:54:

Oh, I didn't mean in one go! That's not something I would even punish Civvie 11 with 😉
I meant have did you play it continually over say the past month or on and off again over the past year/years

Oh 🤣. Yes, all of my old saved games had been lost through a series of hard drive deaths and reformats, so I had to start all over from the beginning two weeks ago.

LGA 2011
Geforce GTX 780
1600 x 1200 monitor
-----