Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

🤣 If only it where true....😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have never ever learned to program in c++ in the 15 odd years I have been using Linux as my main desktop operating system. So EPIC FAIL there. It's a compete myth touted by those folk who don't have a clue of what they are bullshitting about...😉

Reply 4 of 22, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've used Linux on and off for 20 years and I never had to compile my own kernel other than out of interest and masochism.. And that does not require any coding knowledge whatsoever to be honest.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-07-08, 12:10:

I've used Linux on and off for 20 years and I never had to compile my own kernel other than out of interest and masochism.. And that does not require any coding knowledge whatsoever to be honest.

Isn' t funny the Linux haters have been rising and repeating he same lies since about 1995...😀

Compiling a program from source isn't hard either. I did quite a number of times when I was just learning about Linux on my P200mmx system. As long as you had all the support fles installed
Once the source files are on your system you just type- .configure then make then make After that excruciating endever just clean out the unneeded files. https://thoughtbot.com/blog/the-magic-behind- … ke-make-install Havin't done it again since then.

Tux say hi.

Isn't he cute?

Attachments

• Tuxbig.png
    Filename
    Tuxbig.png
    File size
    131.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-08, 18:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 22, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it really a lie that everyone who tries to keep a computer working ends up quietly weeping?

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 7 of 22, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Namrok wrote on 2021-07-08, 18:05:

Is it really a lie that everyone who tries to keep a computer working ends up quietly weeping?

I work in IT, my tear ducts have stopped working from overuse. I just stare vacantly into the void now, unable to express the erupting volcano of pain I feel inside.

Reply 8 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A bit like my wife and a LOT of users swearing at Windows 10...😉

You see I don't push Linux like zombie fanbois of any OS. I folk as about it I'm willing to give advise based on my own personal experience , not some fictitious Windows cry baby who hasn't given us any detail/specifics on what actually happen hence my rather broad, response and post appropriate links as/when needed. Let that person make their own mind wither they like or dislike Linux.

I've already debunked the :Xwidows is slowwwww" and "modern Linux needs megagigbytes to run on older systems"

Oh btw Sackware isn't dead either. The creaters have just been quietly work on their next release https://www.debugpoint.com/2021/04/slackware-15-0-beta/ Download of the 32-bit minimum installation is here https://slackware.uk/people/alien-current-iso … re-current-iso/ When I tried a magazine cover copy of Slackware 13.0. When I was just having a look to see what it was like I found out that if you pressed a certain key at the intall prompt it wound switch over to a 486 kernal and you could install it on an i586 system even though the system requirements said i686 up. It'll be interested in Seeing if Slackware 15 does the same. Slackware is also sysvinit based and been in existence since 1993 https://historyoflinux.wordpress.com/2015/03/ … lackware-linux/ Not bad for an old fashion computer operating system ah?

You see having knowledge of the subject you are talking about as a wonderful thing.

I do hope you all have a wonderful day. You are absolutely terrific....😉

Reply 10 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lolo799 wrote on 2021-07-08, 19:59:

The last time I remember compiling the kernel was to activate a commented out option in the sources for Linux for Playstation2 years ago, years ago.

Yeah personally find it highly amusing that these so called IT professionals can not actually see the advantages of customizing/compiling the kernel in the first place .I mean you can trim it to only support the hardware you are using it on. A definite plus when it comes to industrial applications. I'm positive it's a positive thing...😉

Reply 11 of 22, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Going back to the scale...

yesorno.jpg
Filename
yesorno.jpg
File size
33.78 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

#slight_exaggeration

Reply 12 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just did a NET install of Devuan BeoWolf on a 3GHz P4 system via the internet. It took a whole hour and one boot then log in -DONE! Easy peasy and it has all the current updates.

If an IT "profession" cannot do that and a 61 year old bloke who computers are a just hobby there is definitely something seriously wrong.

Reply 13 of 22, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh. Linux has been super easy to install for years now.

I haven't actually run a Linux box for years though so I'm not even sure if the package system works the same. I tried out a few different distros a few years ago and didn't really see the point for what I do.

Way back in the day, I have a Linux distro that fit on a floppy. It was a router distro. I thing I was running it on something like a 486.

My mom was running Linux for a few years but her computer started having hardware issues and so I sent her a nice Windows 10 laptop setup probably 6 months or so ago. Kinda hard to diagnose and fix hardware issues for somebody that is more than 24 hours drive away.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

l'm actually dammed tickled pink that some kind vogons member would go out of their way to create a tread with my username in it.It's made my month. And Linux some exposure here is far better than going to distrowhatch.

It's been been awesome. So again thank you very much...😉

Oh by the way the NET install was done using a gig connection.

Reply 16 of 22, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some inaccuracies in there for sure. For starts, there is no C++ in the Linux kernel, only C. 😀

I think for the Windows part, a more accurate troubleshooting flowchart would be this:
(btw, nothing personal against Caluser2000 here - I have witnessed these patterns many times with many folks I chatted with) 😉

Attachments

• clipimage.jpg
    Filename
    clipimage.jpg
    File size
    62.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 17 of 22, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-09, 16:05:

Some inaccuracies in there for sure. For starts, there is no C++ in the Linux kernel, only C. 😀

I think for the Windows part, a more accurate troubleshooting flowchart would be this:
(btw, nothing personal against Caluser2000 here - I have witnessed these patterns many times with many folks I chatted with) 😉

No offence. taken. I have witnessed similar behavior. When someone starts telling me what you can and can't do on a forum , and is not a moderator, for use on my own personnel home computers they get what's coming to them if you know what I mean. ...😉

Reply 18 of 22, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The original flow from @cyclone3d is more accurate for all the OS flavors, Windows is especially true. So the Windows folks just develop the habit of storing data outside of OS partition or in the cloud to avoid losing them when the IT's only solution is re-imaging the OS. Apple is spot on but they just never weep. Apple folks listen to whatever mandates in the Book of Jobs enlightened through Tim, for instance "32-bit software must die" and in response "So be it". Linux can be slightly exaggerated but those used to be quite true in the early days. That's Stallman's philosophy of "Freedom" but he forgot about the fact that "Freedom" requires "Knowledge" to appreciate it. An analogy to a democratic government can only be as good as the electorate who voted.

Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-07-08, 20:53:

Yeah personally find it highly amusing that these so called IT professionals can not actually see the advantages of customizing/compiling the kernel in the first place .I mean you can trim it to only support the hardware you are using it on. A definite plus when it comes to industrial applications. I'm positive it's a positive thing...😉

No, you can't call those advantage simply by trimming the kernel to support specific hardware. IT professionals aren't hackers, they are more concerned about seamless system deployment at scale. So long as the performance is good enough, a standard kernel supporting vast variety of hardware through kernel modules outweighs custom kernel that is tuned and only works for specific hardware.

Reply 19 of 22, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-09, 01:45:

Way back in the day, I have a Linux distro that fit on a floppy. It was a router distro. I thing I was running it on something like a 486.

Freesco perhaps?...