VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there anything you regret throwing out?

In my case it was a DOS computer. It was my oldest motherboard - a pentium mmx 233 that had originally run win95. It was re-tasked for DOS + Win 3.1 long after I quit using both. Pretty much dumping all of my oldest hardware into one box. Complete with the minitower case that probably went back to the 486 era. I hate to say it, but the fun was setting it up and once I got that done I realized it wasn't really good for much 😒

Also got rid of an Aus p2b-b board. Processor was a 733 slot 1 BUT that was at 133 and I had downclocked the bus to 66 MHz. Still a good system for win95. Next-oldest hardware. Case was probably even older - one of those with the toggle switch on the front of the case.

Alas, that era is gone

Reply 1 of 44, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't throw away any of my hardware, but I did trash a bunch of computer magazines that I had bought during the later half of the '90s.

Ever since I got back into retro PC gaming, I kept thinking about the reviews that I read back in the day, since they were what guided my hardware and game purchases at the time. I kinda wish I had kept the magazines so that I could see how those contemporary reviews stack up against my recent retro PC experiences.

I also regret selling my first two computers when the time came to upgrade them. But money was tight back then, so it's not like I had much choice.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 44, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's been a few things. Like a few vlb video cards, 5.25'' 1.2 meg fdds and a XT class system with green monitor. But there have gone to that big retro trash bin in the sky and I try not to dwell on it too. They were not desirable back then. But I have keep/aquired a ton of old kit since then. Never got rid of any of my software or manuals though and have a a lot of Dos/win3.x era stuff as that is what got me into computers in the first place...😉

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-07-10, 23:20. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 3 of 44, by stuvize

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Do not even know where to start with what I regret throwing out either because thought was damaged or because did not know any better, top of the list would be Roland rap 10 card, 2 Packard Bell 486 machines, Tandy 386 machine (which was 100% functional) or a COAST module made by Corsair

Reply 4 of 44, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My original 486 and 14" monitor.
Atari 2600 and games.
A box containing a few floppy drives and my LS-120 drive, dozens of magazine cover CDs, and loads of pirated malaysian CD games.

I've learned now to never throw anything away, I'll need it one day...

Reply 6 of 44, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll turn my own question around and say what I DON'T regret throwing out - two tape drives - the kind that ran off the floppy controller.
BAD technology - way too slow, and capacity was really not there.
But - I suppose better than nothing

Reply 7 of 44, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Years ago I stuck either 3 or 4 AWE32 cards, some SB16 cards and some Pentium 1 stuff out to the curb.

Somebody was probably really, really happy to get them. I wasn't into retro computing back then and didn't even think about selling them.

A while later I gave away my CPU collection. Probably 20-30 CPUs ranging from 386 to Pentium 1 with a few upgrade CPUs included.

The stuff I throw out is usually always junk and not worth fixing.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 44, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AcerOpen mainboard equipped with an amd 5k86 & 64MB EDO ram.
Compaq Prosignia dual 486, EISA? with 4 hdd's on one raid? controller.
Olivetti m24, lacking the original monitor and the keyboard was missing a few keys.
CTX 17" monitor, which somehow failed to display the inputs, yet still gave an error message on screen. I had envisioned to fix it someday... oh well.
and several other CRTs & computers for which i don't remember the specifications,
including two 21" crts, which i'm pretty sure the actual display surface size is only 19" since the third one I kept is also marketed as 21" yet only measures 19". F'n marketing wankery.
😥

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 44, by Gered

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly? Everything. I don't throw old electronics and things of that sort out anymore.

486DX2-66/16MB/S3 Trio32 VLB/SBPro2/GUS
P233 MMX/64MB/Voodoo2/Matrox/YMF719/GUS CD3
Duron 800/256MB/Savage4 Pro/SBLive (IN PROGRESS)
Toshiba 430CDT

Reply 11 of 44, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

When I catch myself regretting dumping old hardware at an Ewaste facility (I had a big purge Socket 7 boards and AT cases in 2009/10 because I lost use of a storage shed) , I remind myself that if I had kept it, it would have just been more electronics converted to smoke and ash in the Camp Fire.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 12 of 44, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With "thrown out" I imagine you mean throwing it in the trash or have it recycled?

In that case I've only thrown away broken parts that are easy replaceable, like case fans or broken PSUs.

I've given away or sold parts and whole computers but I've not regretted it (yet). Everything went to other enthusiasts, so I'm just glad it all found a good home.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 13 of 44, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Due to a long distance move, I had to leave a lot of stuff behind. It was stored with a willing relative, and I hoped "someday" to get some of it, but they had to move before "someday" happened, and while some pieces might have gone to interested parties, I think in the main it was all scrapped.

2 Spectrum 48k, 1 48k plus, 2 interface 1s, 4 microdrives, 2o MD carts, 100 tapes.
2 zx81, external keyboard/recase. 16kb RAMpack.
3 Apple II 4 drives, one IIc monitor. One was a IIe, the others I'm not super sure, II color or something.
Microvax II
IBM 5160 and mono screen.
IBM 5170 6mhz. 8514 monitor.
Amstrad 1640, Amstrad 1512 and monitors.
Toshiba clamshell laptop, not sure if it was a T1100 or T1200 now, it was 8086 CMOS and CGA mono if I remember right.
286 motherboard with Harris 286 25Mhz.
386 motherboard with AMD 386sx40
DX2-66 system
Bunch of random parts including a nice 4 drive high density floppy controller.

The only things I super regret really are the 286 and 386 boards and the floppy controller. The other stuff I would kinda have liked to dink around with again but it didn't feel like too much loss, though I'd still have an order of favorites, the 5170 and dx2-66 would be at the bottom, 6mhz 286 is just turd slow, and the 486 was more deliberately left as a PC for them to use, put together out of spares, nothing special in it. Of course it would be nice to sell all that at current eBay rates and have the cash too.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 14 of 44, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My CT1600 SBPro2 that I bought in 1994. Even though I used it for many years, the card was kept in mint condition and so was the box, manual and everything. Until one day in the early 00's I just decided it was taking too much space and threw it in the trash. I don't know what I was thinking because for some reason I kept junk like winmodems and printers around but threw away the card... if I could travel to the past I would give my younger self a good kick in the ass for that.

Reply 16 of 44, by Scraphoarder

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I always regret something after recycling at work, but we cant keep all so things have to go. We tried giveaways earlier but people are not interested and we dont ship. Most things in the dumpster now are business stuff like HP dc7700, 7800 SFFs and HP laptops like 6735b, 6930p etc. I salvaged a lot of CPUs, ram and HDDs before they go, but have enough now. Also keep one or two of the best looking of each models and have done that since we started scrapping 486 and first gen Pentiums. Almost all i kept are Compaq/HP laptops, desktops and servers. That i really regret is letting go some tower servers such as Proliant 1500 and 4000/4500.

Reply 18 of 44, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a big clear out of my parents garage in 2010 (a year before getting into retro computing )of the hardware I'd collected for free between 95-06. A working Wang 286 would have been the earliest hardware but plenty of Pentium to Pentium3 era hardware as well, BUT they were thinking of moving and I live other side of the globe.
It's not all bad news though as I did part out a lot of the systems and kept the more exotic or useful parts which is still sitting in my parents garage as they never moved.

Now I don't throw much out, even dead hardware I keep. That way if work is throwing out a system I want I just exchange the parts from my "dead" collection They can still cross something off their list and I get something useful.

Reply 19 of 44, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i kind of regret various things and PCs thrown years ago and yet realistically if i still had those 486's and the like would i actually be happier or more able to enjoy the hobby. probably not, so maybe it's ok to have let them go - just a shame some of them didn't go to other people to enjoy though, that's the regret part