Reply 20 of 44, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote on 2021-07-28, 01:02:

Found this:
https://www.trishtech.com/2021/07/set-winscp- … irefox-browser/

It's hilarious how they complain about FTP security while ads and malicious sites and links continue to be allowed, of course there's money in those. I hate BS excuses just call a spade a spade geesh.

To be fair there's also the fact that you can't host ads on FTP servers..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 22 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-28, 08:29:

To get a decent browsing experience one has to install a buttload of plugins that weed out all the crap.

I found that uBlock Origin tends to be enough.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My experience with Noscript (which was many years ago, I admit) was that it breaks the web badly, because many websites rely on scripts to do the things you actually want them to do. Whitelisting each site is painful.

I briefly used a different addon called Yesscript, which allowed me to easily block scripts on a handful of broken websites.

From reading on Ghostery it seems to be another flavor of ad/tracker blocker. How does it differ from uBlock/ABP?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 26 of 44, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^There is also PiHole software. It runs on a Raspberry Pi and filters incoming/outgoing network traffic.

https://pi-hole.net/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi-hole

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 44, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-28, 09:44:

From reading on Ghostery it seems to be another flavor of ad/tracker blocker. How does it differ from uBlock/ABP?

It carries the stigma of being involved with an ad agency. This was big news some years ago, and prompted the wide adoption of uBlock Origin and RequestPolicy

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 44, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-07-26, 06:49:

FTP has not been working in Chrome or Edge for quite a while now. I've been using FileZilla exclusively for ftp since they broke it in the browsers... Either that or MS broke it in the browsers in Windows 10.

That is what I use too since FF slowly moved from allowing FTP over the last year. FF 78 (june 2020) 64bit Win7 does work for some FTP sites but it has issues on many others. Unlike the last FF for XP which handles them with ease.
The FF plugins were totally removed from working about a year ago AFAIK unless you pay for one.....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 31 of 44, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ncmark wrote on 2021-07-31, 19:54:

Seems like lately there are a lot of threads about (some program) has ended....there was this, my thread on XP, the one about VGA BIOS support....etc

... because we're getting awfully upset with the castration of "old" features, which, if kept, would do no harm, and suddenly being eliminated throw out decades of compatibilty like some rubbish heap.

Most of these decisions are to simplify or 'streamline' but those are just platitudes for big companies cheapening out, being lazy, and forcing / pushing updates and their control and power over the poor, helpless consumer. The cutoff line seems totally needless and arbirary. Win11 "throwing away" as castaways 7th Gen and earlier i3/i5/i7 systems, 95% of which are still powerful enough! So, we need to stick to "end-of-life" hardware and software without artificial limitations, and it won't continue to work forever. The lack of new parts will greatly increase the cost of running 'legacy' stuff in future. It has already started and will become a geometric progression, sadly.

Reply 32 of 44, by dormcat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2021-08-01, 01:10:

Win11 "throwing away" as castaways 7th Gen and earlier i3/i5/i7 systems, 95% of which are still powerful enough!

Seconded. My Dad is still using an Asus P5G41T-M LX + C2Q Q8300 + 4GB RAM + 120GB SATA SSD + GF210 on Win7 x64 for basic web browsing and photo editing. It took him some time to get used to Win7 back in 2010 and he is unwilling to change the user interface (input method in particular) again for Win10, let alone Win11.

I still remember the decade from 1991 (Win31, around 33MHz) to 2001 (WinXP, >1GHz) when computing experience was vastly different every single year. The difference between 2011 and 2021, however, is much less significant, so companies invent planned obsolescence to keep customers buying.

Reply 33 of 44, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be still possible to run Windows 11 in a VM, though.
Some virtualizers do emulate TPM and Secure Boot.

So let's think positive. Parallels will need to find a way to support Windows 11 on the M1 Macs, anyway. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 34 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-08-01, 07:09:

It might be still possible to run Windows 11 in a VM, though.
Some virtualizers do emulate TPM and Secure Boot.

A VM is not always a viable solution. I think the real path forward (assuming Microsoft will not provide a documented way of doing it "by the book") is to learn from a VM-based install on which HW checks should be bypassed and how to do so.

To quote a user from another forum:

For enthusiasts and specialty users (like the entire old Thinkpad community) there are and will be workarounds. W11 bypasses the hardware check when the installer detects it's running in a VM. Comparing installs in virtual machines vs those on hardware will yield different registry key trees informing what needs changing.

Reply 35 of 44, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-28, 09:25:
uBlock is good, I swapped to that after a few years with adblock and abp. Noscript is also pretty useful, same goes for stylus ( […]
Show full quote
dr_st wrote on 2021-07-28, 09:12:
Anders- wrote on 2021-07-28, 08:29:

To get a decent browsing experience one has to install a buttload of plugins that weed out all the crap.

I found that uBlock Origin tends to be enough.

uBlock is good, I swapped to that after a few years with adblock and abp.
Noscript is also pretty useful, same goes for stylus (or similar).
Ghostery has a function as well...

I recommend Privacy Badger. It's from the Electronic Frontier Foundation, so there's no commercial interests behind it. And while you're at it, even though it's becoming less relevant these days, you might also want to install "HTTPS Everywhere", also from the EFF.

Reply 36 of 44, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Along these same lines....

A friend of mine just bought a new computer with office.....and was complaining that the office version is online only. Problem is - she lives in a remote area where broadband is NOT available

Wow...whatever happened to the days when you bought software on a CD. You put the CD in, and the software installed - without being connected to the internet, without some activation code, without a subscription. What an innovative concept!

I'm waiting for newer versions of office to drop support for the *.doc format (sshhhhhhh don't give micro$oft any ideas)

Reply 39 of 44, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ncmark wrote on 2021-08-01, 12:57:

A friend of mine just bought a new computer with office.....and was complaining that the office version is online only. Problem is - she lives in a remote area where broadband is NOT available

Wow...whatever happened to the days when you bought software on a CD. You put the CD in, and the software installed - without being connected to the internet, without some activation code, without a subscription. What an innovative concept!

I think you can download an offline installer, but it's probably not shipped with the PC. Kinda like no one gives you recovery CDs/DVDs with your PC anymore - you download them off the manufacturer's site or directly from Microsoft. Most computers don't even have optical drives anymore.

ncmark wrote on 2021-08-01, 12:57:

I'm waiting for newer versions of office to drop support for the *.doc format (sshhhhhhh don't give micro$oft any ideas)

They already refuse to open Word 6.0 or older DOC versions by default (though you can override it at this point).