Common searches

Just saw this about 3DFX this morning

Topic actions

First post, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edit by Dominus: it's a hoax or even worse a fraud https://uk.pcmag.com/graphics-cards/134918/nv … g-to-do-with-us

https://wccftech.com/gpu-maker-3dfx-interacti … -next-week/amp/

According to this site 3DFX is making a come back. But who knows how credible this site is and I'm assuming the author of the article doesn't know that Nvidia owns 3DFX.

Last edited by Dominus on 2021-08-07, 12:36. Edited 1 time in total.
Reason: It's a hoax or fraud

Reply 1 of 73, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Prepare for an major" - I guess that says it all. 😀

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 3 of 73, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not likely legit. All the IP was gobbled up by Nvidia and only briefly used, before being discarded. Even now, the IP is worthless, as it's all ancient tech and DGVoodoo covers the 3DFX chips on modern hardware. More to the point, the market can't/won't tolerate or support another GPU maker, like it did when there were many players.

Reply 4 of 73, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah I can't see it happening.

And I'm not sure why they (Nvidia) would bring back 3DFX - the people who would be excited about it as a brand are going to have unreasonable expectations as nostalgia has warped their memories of (later) 3DFX. I would suggest the majority of gamers in 2021 are going to be too young to have any brand recognition, with someone like myself at 31 years old on the borderline. I definitely heard of them growing up but was too young to really care what was in my PC (at 8 years old).

3DFX created a market and had it to themselves, until the competition caught up. They would be in a different position now - no glide, lots of competition.

I do feel there is a gap in the market for a £200, 'lite' GPU the reign in the behemoths currently on the market. 1x 6 pin PCI-E connector (which limits it to something like 150 watts I think?), no three slot designs , no RT or SAM or DLSS (it would be able to use AMDs new scaling thing I guess?) or bloaty drivers that focusses on raster performance at 1080p that the masses can hoover up. A replacement for the 1660 if I am remembering my graphics card names right.

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC

Reply 5 of 73, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh I'm not expecting anything to come from this I just saw it in my Google news feed this morning. I highly doubt Nvidia will bring back the 3DFX or VooDoo branding anytime soon I doesn't make a whole lot of sence. But it will be fun to see if anything happens with that account on August 5th.

Reply 6 of 73, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2021-07-31, 10:18:

I do feel there is a gap in the market for a £200, 'lite' GPU the reign in the behemoths currently on the market. 1x 6 pin PCI-E connector (which limits it to something like 150 watts I think?), no three slot designs , no RT or SAM or DLSS (it would be able to use AMDs new scaling thing I guess?) or bloaty drivers that focusses on raster performance at 1080p that the masses can hoover up. A replacement for the 1660 if I am remembering my graphics card names right.

Intel has already prepped a ton of low-end/mid-range GPUs to go with the high-end GPUs that will launch a direct assault on AMD and Nvidia. They know through their OEM buyers that AMD and Nvidia basically abandoned the OEM market by focusing their production on high-end GPUs - which can't go into the desktops sold in stores because of low-end power supplies and heat - and the low-end/mid-range market is ripe for the picking, with both new and older computers in need of GPUs with the latest tech. Because Intel GPUs are great on Linux, there's a huge market there for them to exploit, as many Linux users have PC's from the last ten years, which would benefit from the low-end/mid-range GPUs that Intel will offer. Intel has also made it known that they are onboard with retro gaming and have incorporated features into their new GPUs that will benefit retro gamers who need good scaling and rendering with older low-resolution graphics.

Reply 7 of 73, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hope they release Voodoo chips open source so they can be implemented in FPGA's for retro-modern rebuilds of GPU's. That is asking wayy too much though.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 8 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Slow news day on the interwebz, it seems .

What's next, a Beatlesofficials Twitter acccount announcing that John, Paul, George and Ringo are back together and prepping an album ? Sounds legit, quick, stop the (digital) presses!

Seriously, if this is really Nvidia or even a licensee, they are really embracing guerilla marketing and the effort seens amateurish so far, IMHO . But, it is getting talked about, so what do I know ? Maybe new hardware is actually incoming ?

More likely is some third party is making cards with NOS chips trying to make it "big". If that's the case, cool for making new cards, but if that means "3dfx is back" , bravo clickbait and a cease and desist letter is likely incoming from Nvidia, unless Nvidia is somehow onboard with this, which I doubt .

Even more likely is that someone is trying to cash in by selling a supposedly somehow 3dfx related product, maybe not even video card related, with or without required licensing (hopefully with, for their sake). Leaving benefit of doubt, but not hopeful .

Most likely, IMHO, is that this is the work of a bored attention seeker trying to get a rise out of everybody who remembers 3dfx and this "announcement" is a whole lot of nothing . If that is the case, I hope the author gets (and can afford) the kind of help in the mental health department that this kind of behavior suggests is needed ( not a joke, this might be a bizarre but possibly desperate cry for help). Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, just a concerned fellow human .

Maybe I am wrong on all possible and this is something completely different .

Reply 10 of 73, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

maybe they will start producing 'new' 3dfx PCI cards that aren't ridiculously overpriced like ebay .... 😉

but yeah. wtf is this 🤣.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 11 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even without reading the link I can imagine what happens, maybe someone reading about the modern great projects about recreate those newer version of the Voodoo4/5 boards thought about it as a sign of a coming back of the company itself? 😁 EDIT: I see it's specified the recreated card at the end so the origin of this should be just a social account opened about their return? ...
I don't know how many times I read about their return and I don't even have the patience for another futuristic theory of a nostalgic comeback but even if it'd come back I ask myself how and why. It'd not be the same company and considering the amount of complexity modern GPUs have I can't really think to a brand new company that's not already doing GPUs in some market sectors. And anyway I don't think the actual owner of the brand would give the brand usage itself to another company that make the same product they make beside as already said most people actually might not even know who they were in the 90's. 😀 To be clear, I'd like that more companies would make video chips considering the modern situation where I just can't buy any video cards that has a low price range even if it's a 2014 used video card ... let's hope the situation will change in future because I've never seen anyway something like this since SIMM ram modules prices in the 90's maybe.

Last edited by 386SX on 2021-07-31, 15:20. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 12 of 73, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are other errors on the page as well:

We recently saw a mod of the 3dfx Voodoo 5 6000 graphics card where the graphics card was recreated with a modern touch to it. The graphics card, designed by modder, Anthony, utilizes a custom PCB design with five VSA-100 GPUs, each with 8 MB (166 MHz) SDRAM for a total of 32 Megabytes of memory and each GPU connected to an active heatsink solution powered by a 4-pin power interface. The card rocks a PCI interface (not PCIe) and features dual VGA ports for display output.

Did WCFTech get hacked?

Gotta say I like the Zombie 3DFX artwork though.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 16 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-07-31, 17:52:
Yea the image is old. I have it on my Voodoo 5 Shuttle lol. […]
Show full quote

Yea the image is old. I have it on my Voodoo 5 Shuttle 🤣.

4ADuk29.jpg

That DVD drive looks great! I really liked the combination of Dxr2/Dxr3 plus DVD reader package design!

Reply 17 of 73, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was thinking about putting my black Gotek and black CD drive back in. I think it may look slightly better. Maybe this coming Halloween I will.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 18 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2021-07-31, 18:23:

I was thinking about putting my black Gotek and black CD drive back in. I think it may look slightly better. Maybe this coming Halloween I will.

Those Creative packages with decoders, dvd reader and multispeakers were great anyway.. I remember having a Dxr3 and the DTT2500 kit and it was an awesome combination for CRT monitors. Too bad they lasted not enough cause tech advanced too fast. LCDs, CPUs.. still I remember the Dolby Digital AC3 decoder working with Dxr3 decoding the MPEG2 DvD and it was an awesome cinema experience. Second half of the 90's was great in every computer sector..

Reply 19 of 73, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Taking inspiration from another thread, we will soon know if

3dfxofficial -->3dfxorificial would be a more appropriate name, and then, what the specific orifice, being used in lieu of a mouthpiece, might be .