Common searches

Just saw this about 3DFX this morning

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As this story continue until tomorrow, I can't see really any possibility of a new GPU designer beside some of the few semiconductor ones around deciding to enter this sector if not already somehow (ipotethically SoC GPU designer or notebook integrated ones) but still this would not be the expected way such companies would announce this.
At the end I'd expect it to be a joke in the realistic scenario while in the optimistic one some use of the brand for different products. In the last social message they talk about also different markets (if I read correctly even "sound system" oh please..) like it'd make sense to rebrand/build video cards and at the same time some home stereo. 😀
I don't know what to believe.. maybe somehow most would expect some new air into this market but as said it'd come with the usual slow informations process while designing any product even low end. It happened in the past but they were all well known companies like the Kyro II chip and what it meant in that specific period.

Last edited by 386SX on 2021-08-04, 16:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 42 of 73, by ultimate386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-04, 15:34:

3dfx branded Geforce cards!

That's what I was thinking. I am actually a little surprised this has never been done.

AMD386/IIT387DX40, 32MB, ATi Mach64, AWE64
Compaq Prolinea 4/33, 32MB, Tseng ET4000, SB16
AMD X5, 64MB, S3 Virge/Voodoo1, AWE64
AMD K62+550, 256MB, Voodoo3, AWE64 Gold
P3 1.2Ghz, 512MB, Radeon 7500/Voodoo2 SLI, SB Live!

Reply 43 of 73, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, some analyst must have said it fragmented the market too much and diluted Geforce name when nVidia was locked head to head for dominance with ATi at the time. Kinda weird they didn't pull it out later though, slap it on the models equivalent to the "Fury" or some such.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 45 of 73, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ultimate386 wrote on 2021-08-04, 16:07:
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-04, 15:34:

3dfx branded Geforce cards!

That's what I was thinking. I am actually a little surprised this has never been done.

*cough*GeforceFX*cough*

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 46 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Remembering the old latest ex-employees interview about how much 3dfx assets has been needed for later gpus, I think to remember saying like they weren't really used much/any beside SLI, so I suppose the NV30 has not much beside the name choosen from the old company. At that time it looked incredible that it had such strange specs and results when I think to that 500Mhz core clock or the absurd cooler too but also I don't know if someone remember the expectations before the release.. over the years I'd not be surprised if that was some sort of choosen situation considering how well the NV40 did. Who knows..

Reply 47 of 73, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Considering how halfassed FX's DX9 implementation sounds, you wonder if it was more a stopgap.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 48 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just an idea but it always looked strange how well the previous and later solutions has been compared to THAT one specifically so I wonder if it was a "Voodoo3-like release" (that fortunately didn't see any VSA-100 situation later.. 😁) .. I think to remember the later revision did solve a lot in performance and heat but still it felt like it was sort of expected.

Reply 49 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today is the 5th, let's see what happens.. until now the official 3dfx homepage still redirect to NV one.. so.. 😁

Anyway.. I don't know if it's more painful to imagine such brand reused without a real gpu designer company behind and rebrand any eletronic retro stuff or to not see any announcement at all. Sure the market would benefit if more players would be on this like in the 90's even if only PCB rebranded if this would increase somehow availability of video cards in stores.. I hope for a Cirrus Logic comeback in the video chips sector.. 😁

Reply 50 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh my...😁 there's a slide explanation message on the twitter account I'm reading... and I don't know what to say..they talk about "smartphones, sound systems, smart tv, graphic cards...". In the 2022 timeline there's a Voodoo 6 PCI (???). That must be realistic considering looking finally at the future using PCI bus, next step the T&L.... 😁

Last edited by 386SX on 2021-08-05, 07:25. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 53 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had zero expectations obviously about any companies designing GPUs and announced in such way but at least few ones about some sort of rebrand project that has been already done other times (for example in phones we have seen big brands used from the past on license from still live companies..). Still not in such way.. and anyway the 3dfx homepage still redirect to NV and that is something that proof more than any social messages. 😀

Reply 54 of 73, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

anyway the 3dfx homepage still redirect to NV

Nvidia could still hold domain name, which has nothing to do with trademark.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 55 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-05, 10:05:

But I suppose it would once a new company called the same way with the same brand and announcing itself as "returning" to the market, has the original and most similar homepage redirecting to another one. I mean.. if there was some closed deal about such brand usage, I suppose since today that domain would redirect to some at least temporary webpage. But maybe is too soon... let's hope to see the 600+ products of the slide.. 😀

Reply 57 of 73, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Searching for news about this, it happened this random ironic old subtitled video about this 3dfx story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BN9MViNhQ

Of course beside the irony of the text, it might be true that some nowdays tend to have the fastest emotional reaction/opinion without reasoning on the complexity of any subject. I didn't believe this but still I was reasoning at the only possibility (still might be) of some "rebrand" cheap company, cause I usually think it's better to skip our fastest opinion considering most retro announcements or projects even when realized mostly ended up below any average expectations and any modern one would have been really difficult. On others forums instead I read people already ready for the next generation gpu company which would be great of course but realistically difficult. 😀
But still the brand usage concept wasn't/isn't that impossible.. we've seen many retro game console using official brands in the past and official games into it for average quality product (for the video/sound accuracy on emulation or ASIC recreation of the console hw itself).

Reply 58 of 73, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2021-08-05, 10:05:

Technically if they bought the assets of 3dfx, that would include the domain dame, as it was an asset that NVIDIA obtained when they bought the company. A domain you can still browse btw:
https://web.archive.org/web/20000302135959/ht … //www.3dfx.com/

Reply 59 of 73, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote on 2021-08-03, 19:42:

Did anyone really believe this was even supposed to be a half-baked announcement?

Unfortunately i've seen at least three who expressed genuine excitement.

Snopes needs a 3dfx category...

apsosig.png
long live PCem