Common searches

Reply 20 of 32, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dos for the Masses. Amen!

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 21 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-08-10, 17:33:
Zup wrote on 2021-08-10, 17:26:
Joakim wrote:

Software hack to make the scroll lock key (who needs it anyway?) blink like the HDD light.

I remember seeing something like that...

Yeah there's a few around http://www.myportablesoftware.com/scroll-lock-hdd-led.aspx and for numlock/capslock as well and for network and cpu load and other things.

Now that I think about it I think I want it.

Reply 22 of 32, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Replacement 3.5" cookies. A bakers dozen per pack.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 23 of 32, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

while not the most recent computing hardware that is available, it 's still quite impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqz65_YfcJg&t=1s PC booting from a vinyl record

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxzstusQggA Booting from an 8-inch floppy drive

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 24 of 32, by SherbertWest

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tron, the 40th anniversary 4K remaster...released for 1982's most popular PC platform, the Commodore 64. Yes, that's right...the fanciful masterpiece available for the first time in 5.25 floppy format (588,240 of them, to be exact), and we'll even throw in a vintage 1541 floppy drive all for the entirely reasonable price of $2,647,999.99!

Reply 25 of 32, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Configure a HDD with nonsensical sizes such as m471. This actually happened to me when cajoling a 64GB HDD to work on a BIOS which supports up to 8GB and surprisingly worked, I used the correct settings from another motherboard which detected it without issues.

Attachments

• m471.jpg
    Filename
    m471.jpg
    File size
    390.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Nonsensical HDD size.
    File license
    Public domain

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 26 of 32, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bitcoin mining on a Commodore 64.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNaeLMS1ZI&t=0s

(I know, this post is not original, since someone actually went and made it happen, but it's just too awesome not to share here. 😁)

Reply 27 of 32, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A windows version between windows 98 and xp that provide nothing new but make things difficult. Ok it should boot slightly faster, which is usful because it crashes a lot.

Reply 28 of 32, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ELB slots, the long awaited successor to VLB that will signify the end of that PCI filth! ELB ("Extremely Long Bus") provides slots twice as long as VLB, making the cards almost impossible to insert while also causing your motherboard to break in two pieces during the process!

Reply 29 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes! It is time for 128 bit VLB. 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 30 of 32, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-17, 17:01:

A windows version between windows 98 and xp that provide nothing new but make things difficult. Ok it should boot slightly faster, which is usful because it crashes a lot.

I see what you did there 🤣

Reply 31 of 32, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am threadjacking my own thread, on behalf of the Ministry of Silly Ideas, that is, stuff you could make work, but it's a bit pointless, it's just fun to think of, or to actually make work for troll value...

Today, I grabbed some mini DVDR in a box lot deal, they probably cost me around a quarter for 10... and as I'm pondering what the hell to do with them, I get this silly idea...

Modify a DVD-ROM drive to accept mini DVDR inside 3.5" floppy housings, mount it behind a floppy faceplate in a small computer, and wow people as you boot a full desktop linux off a "floppy" or a play a DivX movie or something.... lot of work for a fairly minimal return, I'm trying to figure out how long I would think it was cool for if I actually put the effort in.

Feel free to contribute other Ministry of Silly Ideas posts, but please ID them as such in case we begin to take any of the utterly ridiculous ones in line with the original post a little too seriously. Please adhere to either silly or ridiculous, any more attempts to include utterly stupid, such as allusions to MS's former products, will be frowned upon... humorously.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.