VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 56, by RaiderOfLostVoodoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-03, 14:28:

-GTA. The first! Teh original! I played it so much yet never even started to progress in any significant way because I always really soon ended up starting a massive killing spree instead.

Killing sprees are good!
But you should collect some multipliers first. There are a few hidden in boxes on every map. Successful missions will also grant you a multiplier.

foil_fresh wrote on 2022-03-22, 03:18:

I've had multiple attempts at TFTD but it's kicked my ass too many times. I feel like I need to just completely start over each time i get stuck rather than try to claw my way back into contention. I seem to always fall behind the points system and either lose all my squads/money or lose points and fail in the monthly reports.

Once you get gauss weapons, things will become much much easier.

There's one important thing to know:
There is a bug which makes it impossible to continue research, if you do it in the wrong order. That's how I got stuck in the 90s. Only learned about this many years later.

Reply 41 of 56, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaiderOfLostVoodoo wrote on 2022-03-25, 11:29:
Killing sprees are good! But you should collect some multipliers first. There are a few hidden in boxes on every map. Successful […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-02-03, 14:28:

-GTA. The first! Teh original! I played it so much yet never even started to progress in any significant way because I always really soon ended up starting a massive killing spree instead.

Killing sprees are good!
But you should collect some multipliers first. There are a few hidden in boxes on every map. Successful missions will also grant you a multiplier.

foil_fresh wrote on 2022-03-22, 03:18:

I've had multiple attempts at TFTD but it's kicked my ass too many times. I feel like I need to just completely start over each time i get stuck rather than try to claw my way back into contention. I seem to always fall behind the points system and either lose all my squads/money or lose points and fail in the monthly reports.

Once you get gauss weapons, things will become much much easier.

There's one important thing to know:
There is a bug which makes it impossible to continue research, if you do it in the wrong order. That's how I got stuck in the 90s. Only learned about this many years later.

The only thing I cared about was where to get the weapons and finding a limo or one of my other favorite cars. I liked the limo for some reason because I found it fun trying to break through as many roadblocks as possible and doing some heavy ramming 😋

With GTA2 I basically did the exact same thing, except with better weapons 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 45 of 56, by HangarAte2nds!

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have tons of vintage and modern games I want to finish. I just started playing Fallout 4 for the first time and already thinking about multiple playthroughs in the future. Tons of DLC and mods; Particularly looking forward to London. It is likely I will spend 2000 hours playing the game when it is all said and done.
I recently acquired a vintage set of Fallout, Fallout 2 and Tactics. Then there's New Vegas. I played the original back in the day but don't recall if I finished it. I still have to finish Cyberpunk. Don't know when I'll get to Elden Ring. Bunch of game acquisitions lately, too little time because I am going back to school to study compsci and pursue a new career. I am eventually going for a Sc.D and also thinking about getting my JD in there somewhere via remote learning. So I won't be playing as much. It will probably take a decade for me to play all the retro and modern games I have acquired in the past couple of years when I started gaming hard again and getting back to the classics too. I think it is about 200 games altogether but some of the free games I have gotten from the likes of GOG, Amazon and Epic I will probably never play anyway. Recent giveaway of the Bioshock Collection on Epic was most welcome along with many other desirable AAA games I want to play.

Reply 46 of 56, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could probably come up with a couple hundred at least. My backlog is huge and it keeps getting bigger. Fortunately, I don't have much interest in many newer games, so I might be able to make a dent in it.

Personally, I would like to beat a lot of the classics from various eras. I'm not that much into platformers and RTS games, so that narrows down my list a lot. Then again, I'd like to get more into CRPGs, and those often require a big time investment. I'm also interested in games known to have great stories or epic scope.

I'm a giant science fiction geek, so games like Starflight I and II, and Star Control come to mind.

I love the Fallout universe, so I'd like to try out Wasteland. I also need to finish Fallout 2. I was really into it for awhile, but I got frustrated after my car got stolen and I lost some items that are needed to beat the game.

One thing that has stopped me from playing or beating certain games is laziness on my part. I'd like to tackle some text adventures like Planetfall, as well as some classic CRPGs. However, I've been to lazy to break out a notepad and graph paper, which I'd probably need to beat them. This also applies to a lot of strategy and simulation games. I love history and old wargames sound appealing, but when I get home after a day at work, I'm usually not motivated to open a 200 page manual.

I also find simulation games (submarine and flight, especially) very rewarding, but I don't always have the energy to tackle the learning curve. It's worth talking about what I find rewarding about these games. I obviously like gaming, but sometimes I feel like I could be more productive with my time. Now that I'm an adult, I don't have as much free time as I had as a kid. I find it hard to justify putting in the time to finish a game that takes a hundred hours, when I have other hobbies like music that I'd like to put more time into. I don't feel as guilty playing simulations because you can learn a lot from them. From submarine sims, I've learned a lot about sonar and other aspects of submarine warfare. From flight sims, I've learned a bit about flying and playing WWII flight sims on full difficulty gives me a huge rush from it being so challenging.

I'd also like to get into more educational games that aren't for kids. This also has a lot to do with me getting a bit more out of it. I don't think they have endings, so it might be a bit off topic, but the old Creatures games come to mind. Beneath the cute graphics are some pretty impressive biology simulations.

To wrap it up, here are a few others that come to mind.

Jagged Alliance 1 and 2. Squad based tactical games are underrated imo.

Skyrim. I have started it a few times, but never finished it. I didn't get into it as much as Oblivion, but I'd still like to finish it.

The X-Com series. I've beaten the first one, but I still haven't tried out any of the others.

Space Quest 6. I've beaten the first 5, so I would like to beat the last one.

Reply 47 of 56, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its a long, long, long list (spreadsheet actuall) but here are some highlights:

* The "other" Build engine games
* Quest for Glory games
* Zork series (yes the text adventures)
* Fallout 1/2
* Wizardry series
* Dark Sun and Menzoberranzan games

Reply 49 of 56, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-10-21, 04:28:

As an aside, and only because the past few posts mention the Fallout series, it might be relevant to add that Fallout 3 is currently a free giveaway at Epic Games. Until about October 27.

Some people have been complaining that it downloads the entire game like 5 times, one for each supported language. Ends up taking a lot more disk space than expected.

Reply 50 of 56, by lepidotós

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not actually 100% sure I've ever 100% beaten Half-Life. I've played through it countless times in the last 13 or 14 years but I don't ever remember fully beating it, nor any of the expansions.

A few games I know for sure I've never beaten are: Halo 1, any of the games in the Command and Conquer: The First Decade bundle, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 and Episodes, and Quake I and II. I also haven't really finished Stories: the Path of Destinies. I've found the good ending for sure, but I've only found 41% of the endings in a game where finding endings is the whole point. I guess I've never really "beaten" a SimCity or Railroad Tycoon game, either, but are either really "beat"able?

Games/game series I'd like to play include XCOM, Chrono Trigger, Ace Attorney, Halo 2, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Yooka-Laylee, AM2R, Thrillville: Off the Rails, and the Thief series.

Reply 51 of 56, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
lepidotós wrote on 2022-11-10, 07:28:

I'm not actually 100% sure I've ever 100% beaten Half-Life. I've played through it countless times in the last 13 or 14 years but I don't ever remember fully beating it, nor any of the expansions.

A few games I know for sure I've never beaten are: Halo 1, any of the games in the Command and Conquer: The First Decade bundle, Deus Ex, Half-Life 2 and Episodes, and Quake I and II. I also haven't really finished Stories: the Path of Destinies. I've found the good ending for sure, but I've only found 41% of the endings in a game where finding endings is the whole point. I guess I've never really "beaten" a SimCity or Railroad Tycoon game, either, but are either really "beat"able?

Games/game series I'd like to play include XCOM, Chrono Trigger, Ace Attorney, Halo 2, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Yooka-Laylee, AM2R, Thrillville: Off the Rails, and the Thief series.

i played the first Halo, was impressed and then lost interest never finishing it. seemed strange as normally i go through the whole game just to experience but halo started feeling repetitive and dare i say a little dull not long after landing on the halo itself, i think i was hoping for more - but quake 2, i think i will go back and try than to the end!

Reply 52 of 56, by Ensign Nemo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2022-11-10, 15:28:
lepidotós wrote on 2022-11-10, 07:28:

i played the first Halo, was impressed and then lost interest never finishing it. seemed strange as normally i go through the whole game just to experience but halo started feeling repetitive and dare i say a little dull not long after landing on the halo itself, i think i was hoping for more - but quake 2, i think i will go back and try than to the end!

I thought Halo was very good, but had a few flaws that stopped it from being great. For me, I found all of the grunt dialog really irritating. It was annoying and didn't fit the atmosphere of the game. Then there was the flood levels, which I found tedious. I also found that it got repetitive later on.

Reply 53 of 56, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Games I have played but not finished yet

Indiana Jones and the infernal machine

did not finish it due to the fact that runs horrible on moden hardware. I will get into it again when I have my retro rig

Jagged Alliance 1 and 2

Great games but never found the time to finish them

Thief 1

Half Life Blue Shift

Earth 2150

Age of Empires

C&C Renagade

Just played the first level on origin, was not running well on modern hardware I am going to get into it when I have my retro rig

Games I have not played yet but I want to get into them

X-com series
System Shock
System Shock 2
Elder Scrolls Series
Wolfenstein 3d
Duke Nukem 1 and 2
Thief 2
Giants Citzen Kabuto
Evolva
Terminator Future Schock
Aliens vs Predator 2
Age of Empires 2
Mech Warrior Series

ps: Concerning System I am not sure if I should give the orginal chance or if would be better to wait fo the Remake.

Which version of System Schock wo uld you recommend ? The cd version or the floppy disc one?

Reply 54 of 56, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
predator_085 wrote on 2023-05-05, 07:05:

Great games but never found the time to finish them

Thief 1

Half Life Blue Shift

i really liked blueshift, more than many who rated it lower

i liked that barney was just trying to escape and the way his story was woven into the others

System Shock
System Shock 2

i want to play these too, though they apparently are quite demanding in time and gameplay learning so wouldn't be a casual game. there is a System Shock: Enhanced Edition and a remake due this year too

Reply 55 of 56, by predator_085

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I have heard about the System Schock Remake and it might be interesting as well. I have also heard about the Enhanced Edition of the first System Schock but I am somehow more interested in experiencing the original.

Blue Shift has not the best reputation compared to the original Half-Life and Opposing Force. It is true that Opposing Force was more innovative with the cool Alien weapons but I still think that Blue Shift is great Add one. It is really nice to see the Black Mesa incident again from Barney's point of view. I really do not remember why I never finished it back then. I really enjoyed it. Really need to finish it as soon as have my retro gaming pc.

ps: I just realized that the list of the games I have never played but want to is incomplete.

Some more additions

Wing Commander Series
European Air War
X-Wing Alliance
Red Baron II

Reply 56 of 56, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, thanks to binge watching the Space Quest Historian's videos I'm now on a major Sierra Kick as of late.....just the ludicrous light he puts the King's Quest series in gives me a whole new curious perspective on those games which makes me want to give them a chance, so I've been playing King's Quest I on the Tandy 1000. Might do a Let's Play later once I beat it....might have to go back and try the orignial PC Jr. version.

I already started digging at Space Quest I at the end of last year, now I'm kind of wanting to get back into that. Nice thing is I found an adlib patch for it so it's getting some action on the NanTan as of late.

Beneath a Steel Sky is another one. I've played through that about 30% IIRC - I was at the point where we're arguing with the Scottish guy in the factory, 🤣. I think I started a campaign on SCUMMVM on my Wii....might move to regular hardware though.

Maybe Ultima VII 1 & 2 as well. The problem with me and most Ultimas from 6 on up is that I end up mucking about so much doing other things ranging from just random exploring all the way to building my own structures dialing stuff up through Iolo or using Hackmover that I sometimes get very sidetracked from the plot.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/