Common searches

Why people still love XP

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 107, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just FYI, Windows XP cannot get updates from WU anymore as of May 2021. The IE 8 when trying to get there is in an eternal loop. The only way to update it now is either downloading each update separately (gazillions of them) or getting the unofficial SP4 updates pack.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 101 of 107, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2021-09-02, 05:10:

Just FYI, Windows XP cannot get updates from WU anymore as of May 2021. The IE 8 when trying to get there is in an eternal loop. The only way to update it now is either downloading each update separately (gazillions of them) or getting the unofficial SP4 updates pack.

What about older WSUS offline versions?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 102 of 107, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-09-02, 06:02:
Bruninho wrote on 2021-09-02, 05:10:

What about older WSUS offline versions?

I tried that, but I could not get hold of a valid cab file for that. I tried two cabs, no luck.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 103 of 107, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-01, 22:45:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-01, 22:23:

The original system requirements heh, I'd rather run Windows 10 on lowest of 1GB than XP on lowest of 64MB, they were ridiculously low by SP1 never mind SP3

MS always specified too low ram requirements for their GUI/OSs since forever. MS Windows 10 has kinda settled that down. How long does it take win10 to boot from SSD compared to spinning rust? For comparison my AMDK6-2 400 boots Davuan Jessie to the xfce desktop in 30 seconds and I can use it straight away.

Yes, but then you have to deal with Davuan Jessie....

Reply 104 of 107, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Debian isn't bad at all, even with XFCE. Of all Linux distros I have ever used to this date, I have ranked them this way:

1. Ubuntu 20.x (GNOME + X11. I didn't like Wayland at all)
2. Debian Buster (XFCE)
3. Linux Mint (latest)
4. elementaryOS (striking resemblance with macOS)

I know FreeBSD is a different beast and more closer to a macOS cousin than linux per se, but helloSystem appears to be a quite nice initiative.

I have also tried ReactOS. While it appears to be a complete clone of Windows, it didn't worked so well for me; so I ditched it as well...

As for Windows, I rank them this way: 2000 Professional, 98, 95, 3.11. The remaining versions are... garbage to me. The only reason for me to keep using XP is because it still has some compatible programs/games and some more relevant internet usage than 2000, because for 2000 to get there I'd have to break out of vanilla condition and use BWC kernel extender as well as several tweaks to get something closer to XP. For me XP with Classic theme is a reworked 2000. I like to call it Windows 2002.... In terms of stability, 2000 was the most stable Windows version I have ever used.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 105 of 107, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-02, 13:42:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-09-01, 22:45:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-01, 22:23:

The original system requirements heh, I'd rather run Windows 10 on lowest of 1GB than XP on lowest of 64MB, they were ridiculously low by SP1 never mind SP3

MS always specified too low ram requirements for their GUI/OSs since forever. MS Windows 10 has kinda settled that down. How long does it take win10 to boot from SSD compared to spinning rust? For comparison my AMDK6-2 400 boots Davuan Jessie to the xfce desktop in 30 seconds and I can use it straight away.

Yes, but then you have to deal with Davuan Jessie....

From the guy that said Xwindows is slow. What a laugh. Works just fine and dandy... 30sec load time to the desktop is pretty damn good.

Peaple spend weeks trying to get Win9x installed on a multi-core mega gaga boxes and try to access the internet. I spend a hour or so with reasonably more current Linux distro on a 1997 era system and am on in an hour or so. It's damn fucken funny to say the least.

Of course there is at least usb 2.0 support, wireless support, ipv6 support, use the wired plus wireles printers with no bother and a few other goodies that are available.

Attachments

• K6_2_400screenshot.png
    Filename
    K6_2_400screenshot.png
    File size
    94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • shisssmiley.png
    Filename
    shisssmiley.png
    File size
    356.11 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 106 of 107, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, calm down. I acknowledge that linux is pretty good, never said otherwise. But I say it to exceptionally curated distros like Ubuntu and Mint. There are even forks of them for 32 bit PowerPC macs, which I think is fascinating.

15 years ago I was a front end working with a Windows box, struggling with IE6 & 7. All my work mates used Windows. Fast forward to 2021, and my previous employer had nearly ALL workers using Linux Mint in a laptop given to everyone in this pandemic. Me and a few others were still using macOS. And I pretend to continue on macOS unless Xcode comes to all platforms. (highly unlikely).

Probably a few from the Administration reformatted the linux laptop and installed Windows 10. But doesn’t change the fact that “Linux is coming”. (attempt at a GOT pun).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 107 of 107, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2021-09-03, 03:18:

Oh, calm down. I acknowledge that linux is pretty good, never said otherwise. But I say it to exceptionally curated distros like Ubuntu and Mint. There are even forks of them for 32 bit PowerPC macs, which I think is fascinating.

15 years ago I was a front end working with a Windows box, struggling with IE6 & 7. All my work mates used Windows. Fast forward to 2021, and my previous employer had nearly ALL workers using Linux Mint in a laptop given to everyone in this pandemic. Me and a few others were still using macOS. And I pretend to continue on macOS unless Xcode comes to all platforms. (highly unlikely).

Probably a few from the Administration reformatted the linux laptop and installed Windows 10. But doesn’t change the fact that “Linux is coming”. (attempt at a GOT pun).

Yes I agree. They do need to calm down.....😉

Attachments

• aliansmiley.png
    Filename
    aliansmiley.png
    File size
    199.12 KiB
    Views
    File license

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉