Common searches

Favorite forgotten games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A couple of games that I remember fondly but are not widely known / appreciated are Heartlight (smaller, simpler Boulderdash-type game) and Doom 2D (fan-made 2D platformer using DOOM resources, with some weird physics and a pretty competent map editor).

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 21 of 43, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2021-09-09, 11:04:

A couple of games that I remember fondly but are not widely known / appreciated are Heartlight (smaller, simpler Boulderdash-type game)

I wouldn't really call Heartlight a "simpler" game. Rather, it's a sub-type of Boulder Dash variants that is more puzzle-oriented, with each level confined to a single screen (while "classic" Boulder Dash leans more towards mazes larger than one screen). Other games of this type are Trugg and Die Pirateninsel.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 22 of 43, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see what you are saying. I was not aware of the other 2 games you mentioned. They were released much later than Heartlight it seems, and actually seem like Heartlight clones.

I felt it was simpler because the restriction of each level to a single screen does put a limit on how complicated the puzzles can be, compared to something like Supaplex. I think I spent an order of magnitude less time on the 70 levels of Heartlight than on the 111 of Supaplex.

But yes, Supaplex levels do tend to have a mix of puzzle and quick action, while Heartlight leans heavily towards the puzzle side.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 23 of 43, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A really nice thread, I got to know Heartlight thanks to it. It's a favorite genre (slow paced relaxed puzzle that you can leave idle for a while) but I'd never heard of it until now. PC speaker music is impressive too, check it out! I'm sure more gems will appear.

Reply 24 of 43, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2021-09-12, 18:40:

PC speaker music is impressive too, check it out!

I played around a bit with the sound settings in that game and felt like the "DAC on LPT1" (which I gather is Covox Speech Thing or somesuch) gives the best sound/music quality.

If you like Boulder Dash clones, you might want to check out Digger (not to be confused with the Windmill Software namesake). I found it on a German shareware CD, and after digging some info (no pun intended) I realised that it's a DOS clone of an originally 1988 game written by a Humboldt University student for KC85 microcomputer that was in use back then in East Germany. The original game is available via an emulator here, along with a reproduction of the entire code written by hand.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 25 of 43, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-09-15, 10:37:

I played around a bit with the sound settings in that game and felt like the "DAC on LPT1" (which I gather is Covox Speech Thing or somesuch) gives the best sound/music quality.

If you like Boulder Dash clones, you might want to check out Digger (not to be confused with the Windmill Software namesake). I found it on a German shareware CD, and after digging some info (no pun intended) I realised that it's a DOS clone of an originally 1988 game written by a Humboldt University student for KC85 microcomputer that was in use back then in East Germany. The original game is available via an emulator here, along with a reproduction of the entire code written by hand.

It's impressive for pc speaker music, of course it's not the best option for the game.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely check it out.

Reply 26 of 43, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a favourite, but Larax & Zaco should be mentioned. It's ugly as hell and not very playable, but using bombs and physics to demolish buildings is an interesting idea.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 27 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The very first game that came to mind was Zuma (which to my big surprise can still be gotten on steam). I remember I was so dang proud of myself when I finally managed to beat that final level! xD
The very second one was Jane's Fleet Command. That was one heck of an awesome game back then! But neither games are ever talked about these days. Well except perhaps sites like this one here 🤣.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 43, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2021-09-15, 12:33:

The very first game that came to mind was Zuma (which to my big surprise can still be gotten on steam). I remember I was so dang proud of myself when I finally managed to beat that final level! xD

Ah, Zuma! Brings back so many memories. I played the Zuma Deluxe PC version, which back then you could order it on a CD directly from PopCap. It would come in a slim DVD case with a personalized CD label that had your name and address on it. I still keep it as a collectable.

I got introduced to the game by my friend, and both of us were hooked on it for a while. But he could never get through World 9, and eventually gave up, whereas I persisted. It took me a long time to beat World 12, after dying so many times on 12-7. When I eventually beat it, I had 2 lives left to beat 13-1. I knew that the game does not save, and if I die I will have to start over from World 12 again, so I was quite nervous. However, on my second attempt, I got a rather lucky run of the balls. It takes ages to get to "Zuma" on 13-1, but if you do, it pushes the chain sooo far back, that you are quite likely to win at that point. Much like you, I was ecstatic. 😀

Of course, I later figured out a few things that made the game easier. The most important of which is that you should start on world 1, and play through (the game saves your progress automatically). If you are reasonably good, you will accumulate tons of extra lives, which will increase your chances on surviving the tough world 9 and beyond, compared to starting directly on that world, with only 2 spare lives.

Of course, I never got as good at it as some of the pros, but a couple of years ago, I actually went back, and beat the entire game without losing a single life. Attached is the screenshot of the final tally.

I felt on such a roll, that I immediately started a game of Iron Frog in Zuma's Revenge (the mode which allows no deaths), only to get to the last level (insanely hard), and die after Zuma. That was an Epic Fail. I don't think I played much Zuma since. 😜

Attachments

• clipimage.jpg
    Filename
    clipimage.jpg
    File size
    65.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 29 of 43, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joakim wrote on 2021-09-02, 17:33:

Everyone has a favourite game, but I'm interested in the games you remember fondly that are less known by the masses. Games that were lost and forgotten by gamers.

One game I don't see people discussing is SeVerance. I haven't played it in years but I remember playing, replaying it and even did some maps for it. If I remember correctly the map editor was 'inverted' you actually cut material out rather than add walls to a room. Also graphics were mind blowing at the time. The game had shadows!

Terrific game, great atmosphere and gameplay.
Played it when it launched. Finished it with each character.
I kept hoping for a sequeal and searching for something similar to play after finishing it (several times).
"Enclave" came to the rescue, although it is not the same...

Another game I love which seems to be an underdog is "Sudden Strike" (1 and 2, "Blitzkrieg" included).

Reply 30 of 43, by henryVK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-09-15, 15:01:
Terrific game, great atmosphere and gameplay. Played it when it launched. Finished it with each character. I kept hoping for a […]
Show full quote

I kept hoping for a sequeal and searching for something similar to play after finishing it (several times).

Another game I love which seems to be an underdog is "Sudden Strike" (1 and 2, "Blitzkrieg" included).

I know it's not quite the same thing as Severance or Enclave but what about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?

Another vote for Sudden Strike which, to me, has somewhat of a timeless look. Not sure about the gameplay because I haven't played it in years. Then again, can fiddly tactical rock-scissors-paper gameplay really be improved in any meaningful way beyond a certain point? I'm not a genre connaisseur though...

Reply 32 of 43, by Con 2 botones

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
henryVK wrote on 2021-09-20, 11:50:
Con 2 botones wrote on 2021-09-15, 15:01:
Terrific game, great atmosphere and gameplay. Played it when it launched. Finished it with each character. I kept hoping for a […]
Show full quote

I know it's not quite the same thing as Severance or Enclave but what about Dark Messiah of Might and Magic?

Another vote for Sudden Strike which, to me, has somewhat of a timeless look. Not sure about the gameplay because I haven't played it in years. Then again, can fiddly tactical rock-scissors-paper gameplay really be improved in any meaningful way beyond a certain point? I'm not a genre connaisseur though...

Never played Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. I know it is a first person view, mediavel-fantasy themed (that is where the similarity with Severance/Blade of darknes lies, isn´t it), half-Life 2 engine game.
I should take a look, the Athlon XP 3200+ build should be adequate.

Sudden Strike is basically about "view distance". Each unit has a different sight attribute in the field, which is at the same time its fire reach area.
If the unit can see the enemy within that area it will shoot automatically (unless you tell the unit not to, of course).
An officer can see/shoot farther than a machine gun unit, a sniper can see farther than an officer, a plane can be sent to show your artillery (which fires across huge distances) the enemy position, etc., etc.
The environment plays a decesive role too. Vegetation can obstruct your sight. Buildings can improbe infantry view/reach (if you get the unit into a tall building, for instance) . So the strategy is about knowing how to advance and place units in the field.

Reply 33 of 43, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2021-09-15, 13:35:
Ah, Zuma! Brings back so many memories. I played the Zuma Deluxe PC version, which back then you could order it on a CD directly […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2021-09-15, 12:33:

Ah, Zuma! Brings back so many memories. I played the Zuma Deluxe PC version, which back then you could order it on a CD directly from PopCap. It would come in a slim DVD case with a personalized CD label that had your name and address on it. I still keep it as a collectable.

I got introduced to the game by my friend, and both of us were hooked on it for a while. But he could never get through World 9, and eventually gave up, whereas I persisted. It took me a long time to beat World 12, after dying so many times on 12-7. When I eventually beat it, I had 2 lives left to beat 13-1. I knew that the game does not save, and if I die I will have to start over from World 12 again, so I was quite nervous. However, on my second attempt, I got a rather lucky run of the balls. It takes ages to get to "Zuma" on 13-1, but if you do, it pushes the chain sooo far back, that you are quite likely to win at that point. Much like you, I was ecstatic. 😀

Of course, I later figured out a few things that made the game easier. The most important of which is that you should start on world 1, and play through (the game saves your progress automatically). If you are reasonably good, you will accumulate tons of extra lives, which will increase your chances on surviving the tough world 9 and beyond, compared to starting directly on that world, with only 2 spare lives.

Of course, I never got as good at it as some of the pros, but a couple of years ago, I actually went back, and beat the entire game without losing a single life. Attached is the screenshot of the final tally.

I felt on such a roll, that I immediately started a game of Iron Frog in Zuma's Revenge (the mode which allows no deaths), only to get to the last level (insanely hard), and die after Zuma. That was an Epic Fail. I don't think I played much Zuma since. 😜

Mine was also the Deluxe version, but I can't remember what the case looked like. I'd need to fig it out but now is not the time at 3am 😜
No idea if mine has a personalized adress but I will check next time I see it 😜 .
That's what I did, start from 1-1 and just don't die (or at least as few times as possible) at all costs so at the higher difficulty levels I'd have ample lives left.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 34 of 43, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A game I just remembered was very different and fun was Sacrifice by Shiny Entertainment. What a game it was!

I remember the dude in the store warning me that this game is very demanding. I was like, bro, I have a GeForce card. It actually ran ok on my Packard bell Pentium 2 350 MHz slot 1 machine.

Reply 35 of 43, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2021-12-18, 17:53:

A game I just remembered was very different and fun was Sacrifice by Shiny Entertainment. What a game it was!

I remember the dude in the store warning me that this game is very demanding. I was like, bro, I have a GeForce card. It actually ran ok on my Packard bell Pentium 2 350 MHz slot 1 machine.

+1

Amazing and addictive game. This game and Giants: Citizen Kabuto made me, forced me, twisted my arm to upgrade to a GeForce 256 DDR.

Reply 36 of 43, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was probably at this point I put my voodoo 2 in a drawer only to be found by me over 20 years later. Sadly this and a internal modem was the only hardware to be found..

Reply 37 of 43, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my favorites is "The Incredible Machine" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incre ... ideo_game)

I remember another one but maybe I remember the name wrong, it seems to me "Stunts". He had the track editor.

Reply 38 of 43, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not a particularly "good game" as such, but at the time, the DOS/Amiga/ST game Crime Wave had a certain uncommon style. A 1990 walk-and-shoot game full of early digitised graphics and a surprising array of video sequence cut-scenes, many consisting of the story's lightly-clad Princess-in-peril actress wriggling in faux distress, doubtless noted and remembered by the game's target demographic of young men.

justonemoretakemaam.jpg
Filename
justonemoretakemaam.jpg
File size
37.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Stormlord, another period-piece featuring a more adult style of graphics, is also mentioned occasionally on these forgotten gem lists.

Reply 39 of 43, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lords of Magic. A medieval fantasy themed strategy game that I found instantly addicting, but it was a commercial failure and few people probably remember it anymore.

Based on what I've seen with the (very occasional) youtube/twitch video, I think a fair number of people don't figure out the important points on how to play it, and get frustrated.
Looks like kikoskia has a great playthrough series of it though.

The original manual is pretty big and though the game does have built-in tutorial messages, they're just simple messages you read and close and forget. It doesn't "handhold" the player into learning the game as much as people expect with modern digitally distributed games. Complex games that primarily relied on physical manuals probably have trouble winning fans on GoG/etc.

Usenet implies that the original version stirred up controversy because of whatever problems it had and the fact that Sierra patched it. It was the early days of internet patches for games, and people took it as a sign that Sierra had knowingly released an "unfinished" game.
So maybe Lords of Magic was a pioneer of modern game publishing strategy.

I just read some usenet drama about loading times when going into a battle. I remember slow loading times playing the SE version on my Cyrix 6x86 133MHz back then, but it didn't seem out of place for a slow paced strategy game. Maybe the original was enough slower to be bothersome, I dunno.
It was suggested that some people might have much worse performance if one of the key data files was fragmented.
Anyway, anyone should be able to get a DOOM-like loading experience with newer hardware.