VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I used MakeMKV and PowerDirector to make a cut from the BBC version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. When I tried to upload I got a message that it is copyrighted material.

Does that mean that as technology improves we will discover making cuts of movies doesn't work anymore? The software is good. Makemkv extracts the movie into a master file and 6 segment files.

Of course it is copyrighted material, I just hoped Youtube wouldn't notice.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 1 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're kidding, right?

YouTube has put in tons of development time into its Content ID system.

https://www.youtube.com/howyoutubeworks/policies/copyright/
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6013276

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 7, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the video uploaded directly to Facebook. I was hoping to upload it to Youtube and cross post. I tried producing an mp4 cut with 24 fps instead of 30 fps. It did not do any good.

Daniel L Newhouse

Reply 3 of 7, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dnewhous wrote on 2021-09-07, 16:12:

Well, I used MakeMKV and PowerDirector to make a cut from the BBC version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. When I tried to upload I got a message that it is copyrighted material.

Does that mean that as technology improves we will discover making cuts of movies doesn't work anymore? The software is good. Makemkv extracts the movie into a master file and 6 segment files.

You thought that in 2021 you could upload a rip of a 50 million dollar budget feature film, that was released by what is now known as 'Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures'?, to YouTube...?

Reply 5 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2021-09-07, 23:18:
dnewhous wrote on 2021-09-07, 16:12:

You thought that in 2021 you could upload a rip of a 50 million dollar budget feature film, that was released by what is now known as 'Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures'?, to YouTube...?

Well, actually... he really did mean the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) version of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, not the Disney version. In other words, the 1981 TV series.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitch ... TV_series)

Regardless, that's copyrighted too.

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 7, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dnewhous wrote on 2021-09-08, 00:56:

Could the watermarking with the free version of Power Director be causing the problem? I can spend the money to upgrade.

No, the problem is that you uploaded video that's copyrighted to YouTube.

Depending on how you've edited it together, you may be able to file a counter-claim for fair use. Especially if you've added your own narration or are making a parody. But if it's just a clip, depending on how draconian the BBC chooses to be about it, your video may be monetized, muted, or deleted altogether.

Stiletto