VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a Windows 7 PC, and as far as I can tell, it's working perfectly and is free from malware and viruses, except that any system restore points I make seem to disappear.

When I right click on the 'My Computer icon', select 'System Protection', then 'Create', then I can create a restore point, as is normal. But if later on I then check on the restore point (by right clicking on the 'My Computer icon', select 'System Protection', then 'System Restore', then I am told that there are no system restore points. The time for this to happen can be a couple of hours or a couple of days. I haven't run anything that I can think of that might remove restore points (such as Ccleaner), but the points do disappear sometimes (but not always) if I install or uninstall an unrelated program or game. Other times they can disappear if I've done nothing other than surf the net, or play .mp3 files.

System Restore is turned on for my C: drive, and is set for 10% of the drive space (which is 10GB of the 100GB C: partition), and was working fine until a couple of weeks ago. The C: drive has 28.7GB free, so it's not lack of disc space that's somehow causing the problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

Reply 1 of 4, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote on 2021-09-20, 14:27:
I have a Windows 7 PC, and as far as I can tell, it's working perfectly and is free from malware and viruses, except that any sy […]
Show full quote

I have a Windows 7 PC, and as far as I can tell, it's working perfectly and is free from malware and viruses, except that any system restore points I make seem to disappear.

When I right click on the 'My Computer icon', select 'System Protection', then 'Create', then I can create a restore point, as is normal. But if later on I then check on the restore point (by right clicking on the 'My Computer icon', select 'System Protection', then 'System Restore', then I am told that there are no system restore points. The time for this to happen can be a couple of hours or a couple of days. I haven't run anything that I can think of that might remove restore points (such as Ccleaner), but the points do disappear sometimes (but not always) if I install or uninstall an unrelated program or game. Other times they can disappear if I've done nothing other than surf the net, or play .mp3 files.

System Restore is turned on for my C: drive, and is set for 10% of the drive space (which is 10GB of the 100GB C: partition), and was working fine until a couple of weeks ago. The C: drive has 28.7GB free, so it's not lack of disc space that's somehow causing the problem.

Can anyone shed any light on this, please?

Dual booting to Win XP can cause the exact same issue.
https://www.vistax64.com/threads/system-resto … -delete.127417/

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 2 of 4, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

System restore is one of the first things I disable.

Try running an admin command prompt and run a
chkdsk c: /f
Could be that you have some file system corruption.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 4, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-09-20, 14:30:

Dual booting to Win XP can cause the exact same issue.
https://www.vistax64.com/threads/system-resto … -delete.127417/

Sorry, I should have said, it's a clean boot, no other OS is present.

cyclone3d wrote on 2021-09-20, 15:41:
System restore is one of the first things I disable. […]
Show full quote

System restore is one of the first things I disable.

Try running an admin command prompt and run a
chkdsk c: /f
Could be that you have some file system corruption.

No, I tried that already, thanks. Checkdisc found no faults on the C: drive.

DosFreak wrote on 2021-09-20, 15:51:

Check your event logs for events for shadow copy deletions

OK, I will do that and report back here, thanks.