VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I do have a lot of vintage computer stuff going through my hands - most things I buy I don't really need (like most of us probably 🤣 - you know the problem - you are forced to buy a whole lot of parts just because you want a single card in this lot).

eBay
I used to sell surplus things at eBay but the recent policy changes no longer make this platform a good place to sell stuff (at least for me).

Facebook
I have good experience with both buying and selling on the eBay trade groups or even eBay marketplace and for now it's my main way of getting rid of unnecessary stuff - what are your favorite groups?

Allegro (sort of a Polish eBay)
Absolutely horrible. Horrible sellers (can't pack properly, send damaged goods), horrible buyers (bid but don't pay, don't read the descriptions). I no longer sell there unless it's some vintage Polish hardware that wouldn't be appreciated out of the country.

AmiBay
This forum is based on a horrible script, hard to use and extremally sluggish. Also the forum rules are optimized according the features of the script (not the other way around). Community is small so selling stuff takes alot of time - I've been selling there for the last 2 years or so, but I recently ceased it.

What else would you guys recommend?

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 1 of 8, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What are Facebook "eBay trade groups"? I've listed some things on Facebook marketplace, but they were either ignored or the buyer never showed up.
For buying I'm still using Allegro, eBay and OLX. Years ago I've received some damaged goods, now I usually add a message to the seller how I expect him to pack the goods. Or if it costs more, I will drive to pick it up.

Actually, I've made the best trades via Vogons, either by PMing people or users asking me about stuff I've posted years ago. I prefer trading to selling, since unless I sell "collectors" stuff, the price will be too low for me to be interested in testing the item and walking to the post office.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 2 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GL1zdA wrote on 2021-09-23, 11:33:

What are Facebook "eBay trade groups"? I've listed some things on Facebook marketplace, but they were either ignored or the buyer never showed up.

RETRO Machines -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/629320860428417
Retro Microcomputers, Workstations, Servers and Consoles - Welcome! -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/259905524039336
Vintage / Retro Computer Swap Meet -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/1724146854327686
Computer Reset Warehouse Buy and Sell -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/589684835058749

To name a few such trading groups (or groups where trade posts are not frowned upon).

For buying I'm still using Allegro, eBay and OLX. Years ago I've received some damaged goods, now I usually add a message to the seller how I expect him to pack the goods. Or if it costs more, I will drive to pick it up.

Same here, but they are not doing it anyway - for example recently I bought some Commodore PC20 - I informed the seller I expect it being packed in a solid box, wrapped in thick layer of bubble wrap and so on and I don't want it packed in brittle styrofoam. I received it in the box which was falling apart, protected just by pieces of styrofoam (individual styrofoam beads were everywhere), and the machine was loose inside the box. Needless I gave seller negative feedback.

Actually, I've made the best trades via Vogons, either by PMing people or users asking me about stuff I've posted years ago. I prefer trading to selling, since unless I sell "collectors" stuff, the price will be too low for me to be interested in testing the item and walking to the post office.

Well, VOGONS has some anti-trading policy (which is odd, but it is how it is) so unless you PM somebody who is looking for something particular (or somebody PMs you) it's not really a viable option to sell stuff here effectively.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I also use Facebook for international small stuff. Full computers only in local Ebay clone.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 6 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, the 8bitbay is a nice little thing, hope it stays and not get spammed or removed.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 7 of 8, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cyberdyne wrote on 2021-09-30, 08:45:

Wow, the 8bitbay is a nice little thing, hope it stays and not get spammed or removed.

Yes, I already added some items there and it seems to work smoothly, but I'm afraid it will get flooded with not vintage cr*p (early PCIE, Pentium 4, Core 2 Duo and such) in no time...

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 8 of 8, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ditto. Let's see and wait, how this thing will turn out. If it will lift off in a good way. then there will be a middle ground for corporate ebay, and closed "clique" amybay.