Topic actions

Reply 20 of 74, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-29, 03:42:
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 02:26:

I wouldn't mind if it's done like Flash, Supergirl etc, I find those watchable. Plus CW comes in good on the antenna and I can PVR it with a Hauppage card.

Whoah! 😁 That brings back so many memories of my beloved old WinTV card!
It was an ISA version (full size) that came with Win 3.1 software.. 🙂

Although Babylon 5 is a favourite, I have no problem with them making a reboot as long as they have no problem with me not tuning in (like I tend to do with 99% of these film / tv reworks - rarely are they the equal, nevermind better).

As for those WinTV cards, here's mine (bought in 95) for even more nostalgia - maybe I'll try it in retro build one day. However, although I could be waiting a while to pick up a TV signal 😀 😀 😀 , I'm sure the old girl can still manage composite in.

Win-TV Celebrity.JPG
Filename
Win-TV Celebrity.JPG
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21 of 74, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-09-28, 08:17:

What's the bet they "Stargate" it?

Honestly an SG1 style stargate or really any of the overly exuberant 90’s “action hour” style programming would be a welcome change
Over the current style of whiney sad characters coupled with millions of non-plots to nowhere and zero character development and zero like able characters.
Even having a loose plot with some payoffs and likeable characters would be favorable to the CGI action happens because reasons need drama tripe we are fed.
Heck they could take geriatric Kevin Sorbo, recycle the set from Andromeda call it Babylon 6 and with the right director “wink” still be better than 99% of the current output.

Even if it’s campy with low quality visuals :0

Discovery is not Star Trek, it’s just a generic syfy program called Star Trek without any cohesive plot, payoff or ties to the “other” Star Treks, lower Decks and Orvill are the best Star Trek like series currently because the Orvil avoids innsessent over the top drama to cover up for lack of writing skill and Lower Decks doesn’t take it’s nonsense too seriously.
Picard is also a letdown as it’s very lacking in the retrospective it could have had and instead relies too much on action and unsolved mysteries (plot holes) to cover the missing plot, also that everything about how Star Fleet operated, it’s rules, ideals and society were tossed out doesn’t help matters.
Feels like Picard fell into a bad back to the future alternate universe just for the purpose of subverting expectations.

Ah well, hopefully the “original writer“ can not be tempted by the dark side of current poorly executed trends.
Why do work when you can just follow the first draft and done?
It’s gets the paycheck

The bar isn’t being set high by the industry so let’s hope we get one knocked out of the park and not one constrained by time and budget following trends.

Reply 22 of 74, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:10:

Honestly an SG1 style stargate or really any of the overly exuberant 90’s “action hour” style programming would be a welcome change

What I meant by that comment is what they did with the Stargate reboot, aka Stargate Universe....i.e. it was utter rubbish and nothing like the excellent SG1 and Atlantis.

Reply 23 of 74, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can't reboot it without ruining it.

Babylon 5 and FarScape were the best series ever. Both were a frellin' MIRACLE that isn't repeatable at all.

Besides, way too much of the original B5 cast are long dead. 🙁

Reply 24 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But if'n you ain't be thinking that Firefly is the gorram shiniest piece of Sci-Fi in the 'verse, y'all can go and get ruttin' humped.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 25 of 74, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Reboot" doesn't mean "remake" I suppose. Will be interested to see how it turns out. These shows with multiple humanoid races already have plenty of minority politics so whether or not they build that in may not change it all that much. That said, if they changed the characterisation to reflect modern mores... would be weird. But having said that, I've been quite surprised watching old films lately (40s/50s/60s) at how many modern attitudes and agendas are there already...

I'd mainly hope it doesn't turns out like Space 1999 (where everybody looks bored all the time, and which probably would have been better in supermarionation) or Lexx which I always felt should have been fantastic from the visuals but never engaged me.

Reply 26 of 74, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:59:
rmay635703 wrote on 2021-09-29, 19:10:

What I meant by that comment is what they did with the Stargate reboot, aka Stargate Universe....i.e. it was utter rubbish and nothing like the excellent SG1 and Atlantis.

Agreed

Destiny was not a prime time network program and a different front runner entirely would have been needed.

But if Stargate universe would have launched in the current era with less of a Star Gate tie in and more as a different title
direct to streaming it would have likely done adequately, in comparison to the current drama laden tripe since it would fit in but be better than say Discovery.

The series presentation and ratings would have been fine as a low budget tie in for the streaming market which didn’t properly exist at that time and not as A class network show.

Destiny was the start of the current boatload of shows of that ilk and the collapse of decent unique shows on the networks

Unfortunate The Destiny story couldn’t have been told as a low budget show with less negativity as the concept was fine, the execution was terrible, no one wants every episode to be claustrophobic and depressing.
Reality is the high CG budget killed it with the realities of the ratings it could expect, now days a program with even Destinies ratings is considered a success as the market has diluted.

I hold hope a decent Star Gate titled series (not reboot) might occur but given the destruction of decent independent network and movie making entities I’m a bit skeptical

Maybe if the topic of this thread does well enough we might see some titles properly revisited with adequate story telling
(not that having a plot and character development is popular these days)

Reply 27 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Lexx always seemed like it it was a bad copy of Andromeda crossed with Red Dwarf written by a Cirque de Soleil creator on acid. I almost managed to follow it after catching 10 episodes in a row once, but then missed one and I was lost again.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 28 of 74, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-29, 23:16:

Lexx always seemed like it it was a bad copy of Andromeda crossed with Red Dwarf written by a Cirque de Soleil creator on acid. I almost managed to follow it after catching 10 episodes in a row once, but then missed one and I was lost again.

Yeah I saw the Red Dwarf parallel; that accentuated the lack of zing in Lexx. Lost again? It was a continuing story?!

Reply 29 of 74, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-09-28, 06:48:
Hi everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hi everyone,

Just saw the news.

https://www.space.com/babylon-5-reboot-in-development

What do you think? Good or bad or neither/both or..?

I wonder how it will be different.
Will Sheridan or Sinclair turn female, change colour or become a Chinese?
Or all of them? 😜

I know, I'm going a bit too far maybe, but isn't that "in" nowadays?
Turn popular characters upside down and inside out or make them a minority
to appeal a specific audience, I mean ?

Just like Higgins in the new Magnum series or how Starbuck in Battlestar Galactica remake became a woman?

No offense, I'm not judging, it's just an observation.
In theory, these changes could be funny/interesting, also.

Or do the characters will now have a much more dark, depressing background resulting in mental breakdowns?
Just like in ST: Discovery?
That's in fashion, too, isn't it? Making things grim and people suffer.

Possibilities over possibilities.. ^^

Best regards,
Jo22

B5 was the most fluent and adaptive TV series because it felt natural that actors would leave each season and new ones would come aboard. It also pissed me off that there was never a movie or a game surrounding it to explain more.

I am I

Reply 30 of 74, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Andromeda was already so bad...

Reply 32 of 74, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-30, 07:02:

The first few seasons weren't bad, actually. It was based on a concept by Gene Roddenberry and it dealt with some interesting philosophical topics, and some of the characters were quite interesting.

At a certain point I stopped watching, and later on I read about Kevin Sorbo taking the reins from the initial producers and making the show all about him. He basically turned it into "Hercules in Space". Quite disappointing.

Reply 33 of 74, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote on 2021-09-28, 10:38:

You must not be much of a Babylon 5 fan otherwise you'd know about Delenn.

Ah, Delenn. If I ever fell in love with a fictional character, it was definitely Delenn. 😆

I remember, it was around 1996 or perhaps 1997. I was the head of the Souvenir Division in the university's student cooperative. We routinely held a monthly business meetings on Sunday, but very often the meeting went unnecessarily lengthy. Meanwhile, Babylon Five aired at 3 PM. So every time the meeting went lengthy, I always took an early leave and went to the cooperative's main office room to watch Babylon Five. 😆

I'm not so sure if I would like the remake though; I doubt they could find actors who can play Londo and G'kar better than Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas.

I'd really like to see a Babylon Five/Star Wars crossover though. I figure the Galactic Empire would side with the Vorlons, since the Empire represents order (although tyrannical order). But Sith lords seem to revel in chaos. How to reconcile that?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 34 of 74, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-29, 20:07:

that isn't repeatable at all.

In a way Babylon 5 already has been, it was ripped off by star trek makers with deep space nine down to even character names, ended in a settlement out of court.

Reply 35 of 74, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-09-30, 07:02:

Which Andromeda, Gene Roddenberrys or Michael Criteon?

I am I

Reply 36 of 74, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote on 2021-09-30, 11:57:

Ah, Delenn. If I ever fell in love with a fictional character, it was definitely Delenn. 😆

I would have to say I was mainly an Ivanova man. Though I found a slight leaning toward Talia Winters for a bit, but she was too much of a sap.

Reply 37 of 74, by twiz11

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 19:09:

I would have to say I was mainly an Ivanova man. Though I found a slight leaning toward Talia Winters for a bit, she was too much of a sap.

Fiction of any kind = Non-fiction+time. Given enough time the fiction becomes real. Babylon 5 is just a human-generated fantasy, and I am just a person who tries to make it real. The best stories are those with no happy endings, because death is never a happy ending, it is a realistic ending.

I am I

Reply 38 of 74, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

But isn't every ending also a beginning?
If life/soul/consciousness has a destination, there must be an origin, too?
The fact alone that we live and that emotions/feelings as such can exist and be perceived and are universally real to all living beings (no matter where those feelings/living beings do come from!) is a wonder in itself imho.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 39 of 74, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-09-30, 19:09:

I would have to say I was mainly an Ivanova man. Though I found a slight leaning toward Talia Winters for a bit, but she was too much of a sap.

In any case, back in 2017 I was proposed (yes, she proposed me first) by a woman who really looks like Lyta Alexander. Our relationship didn't last long though, but then I met another woman, and the rest is history.

twiz11 wrote on 2021-09-30, 23:01:

Fiction of any kind = Non-fiction+time. Given enough time the fiction becomes real. Babylon 5 is just a human-generated fantasy, and I am just a person who tries to make it real. The best stories are those with no happy endings, because death is never a happy ending, it is a realistic ending.

This still counts as happy ending though, albeit rather depressing. But isn't it happy ending when our loved ones remember us as a good person?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.